Crystals in Berts Aspen Forest

Dana

I had a bottle of AF for about a year and just used the last of it and noticed something that sounded like sizzling in the bottom. When I peaked inside I saw crystals. I test burned a small candle and didn't get much of a HT where as I thought I used to get a nice throw. Wouldn't you know I just sold a huge candle in the same scent, same bottle. So is this just not a strong thrower, or do the crystals have something to do with it? What are the crystals anyway? I have another oil (MC's Warm Van Sugar) that has crystals too that I stopped using for retail because I didn't know if it would affect the candle any. The Aspen Forest slipped by me though and now I am worried. That was an expensive candle and they will be very angry if no HT. Any insight?

The candle should be fine. A few of my oils have had crystals in them & it didn't affect the HT or burn. Usually the FO's are vanilla based. I try to remember to shake good before using but if there are alot crystals I will place the bottle of FO in a bowl of hot water to dissolve most of them. Often when pouring, the crystals that didn't dissolve in the hot water bath or the wax will sink to the bottom of the pour pot and I try not to pour into the candle jar if I notice.

I know the Holiday Scentsations fragrance oil from Southern Scentsations (greatcandle.com) is the same as Berts Aspen Forest and I have had crystals in a few bottles. I have also had about an inch of crystals in the bottom of my Hazelnut when I recieved it and it did fine in wax. My guess is, it is most likely sediment from the bottom of a drum but I could be wrong. I have contacted a couple suppliers about it and they have all told me the FO would be fine and gave the the hot water bath suggestion.

I received an order from Peak's today and the Pink Sugar is somewhat crystalized but it smells wonderful and can't wait to get it in some wax.

The packing slip contained a note from them that stated occasionally bottles will crystalize during shipping because the FO's are fully concentrated, especially during the winter months. It says to loosen the cap and set the bottle in a bowl of hot water to get rid of crystals.

Ok, well that is a relief! I have been worried about this ever since that big candle sold. Most of the crystals settled to the bottom of the pour pot, but I wasn't sure if some got in the candle if it would cause issues. So thanks everyone!