Straight Wicks

So I'm trying 8oz quilted jelly jars with soy blend container wax from M.E. Supply. I also got their HTP 1212 wicks that I'm using. Now I have no problems with the wicks sticking to the bottom of jars (I'm using glue dots), but I'm having issue with keeping the wick straight after I pour the wax in the jar.

Is there a trick to this or does it depend on the type of wick?

TIA

Wicks should be secured at the top of the jar to keep them centered while the wax is cooling.

You can use a chopstick, popsicle stick, etc., wrap the wick around it to secure it on top of the jar. Check to make sure its centered then let it cool.

When you start making lots of candles at a time you should probably opt for some wick centering tools that hold the wick in place at the top of the jar. Lots of candle suppliers have them in different styles and sizes for different jars. Some are plastic while others are metal.

I use ones from Peaks candle supply. They have the small plastic ones that fit jelly jars. I love them!

Thanks! I took notice that the wick is bowing in the middle while it's cooling. Though the wick is centered and sticking the wax is making it bow. And I hate to fiddle with it while it's cooling I don't want the wick to become unstuck to the bottom of the jar. LOL

I guess I'll have to invest in some of those from Peak. I'll have to get them in a couple different sizes.

I bought a bag of popsicle sticks from the dollar store. My husband drilled a hole in the middle of each one. After I put the wick through the hole, I bend it over on the popsickle sick and secure it with a small binder clip. When I pour the candle, I can move the wick over so I don't spill wax out of the jar. Then I move the wick back to where it is centered. I also use a glue gun to glue the tabbed wick to the bottle of the jar, centered of course.

A wick can bow while the candle is cooling as the wax shrinks away from the wick or leaves an air pocket around the wick. Another reason to have the wick secured-- not just to keep it centered but to keep it from bowing.

If the wax is still pliable enough to pull slightly on the wick to straighten it you will want to do this. Otherwise you will have a candle with an uncentered wick that may create problems while it burns. One side of the jar can get too hot and/or leave wax on the side because of an uneven burn.

I like the bowtie wick holders.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlemakingequipment_bow-tie-wick-bar.html

They fit nearly all the sizes of jars that I use (except really big ones or really little ones) and hold the wick very securely. If your wicks won't stick well enough to put a little tension on them to keep them straight while cooling, you need to find something more secure to stick the wicktabs with. If they come loose while the candle is burning, this is a bad thing. ;)

I bought a bag of popsicle sticks from the dollar store. My husband drilled a hole in the middle of each one. After I put the wick through the hole, I bend it over on the popsickle sick and secure it with a small binder clip. When I pour the candle, I can move the wick over so I don't spill wax out of the jar. Then I move the wick back to where it is centered. I also use a glue gun to glue the tabbed wick to the bottle of the jar, centered of course.

I thought I was the only one who did that. I used a marker to mark 1.5 inches from the center so that I get the rim alignment correct then I glued a second stick on top with the same. I offset them for the wick so when I have the marks lined up, the wick is perfectly centered. I use mold seal to hold the wick.

Glue guns are great, eh?

I like the bowtie wick holders.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlemakingequipment_bow-tie-wick-bar.html

They fit nearly all the sizes of jars that I use (except really big ones or really little ones) and hold the wick very securely. If your wicks won't stick well enough to put a little tension on them to keep them straight while cooling, you need to find something more secure to stick the wicktabs with. If they come loose while the candle is burning, this is a bad thing. ;)

Love those wick holders, too.