Switching waxes

beans

Frosting is a natural characteristic of soy. So before you go switching waxes you should consider that as you will find it in most soy wax.

The Ecosoya Advanced was designed to help eliminate frosting and produce a creamy opague candle. However the scent throw was not a factor in designing this wax and consequently does not throw well or in many cases at all. So if you use this wax you will be spending quite a bit more time and lots of money finding and testing fragrance oils that will produce an adequate scent throw.

If you go to the vegetable wax section and ask for help with your frosting issues with GB464 wax you should get some answers. Many people here use this wax.

With soy you need to have a lot of patience to develop a great looking and great throwing candle. It requires a lot of testing as no one wax is perfect.

I used the Ecosoya CB 135 for a bunch of test candles and it was a nice creamy container wax but a real scent killer. So I started mixing it 25 percent with 75 percent paraffin and have been pretty happy with CT, HT and soft look. It is a two pour if you want a flat top. I really don't mind the dip in the top as it leaves a cone by the wick and burns just fine with that pattern.

I am going to change to some of the IGI's and test out the 444 and C3 and 464.

• 4 weeks later...

We originally started with 464 and like everyone else, got tired of the frosting. So, I ordered a case of the cb advanced prior to finding this board. I was so excited based on the reviews on WSP site. (Duh...there's only two reviews. That should have been a clue) So, I decided to either try to mix it with some paraffin or simply offer it as non scented candles or tealights. Big waste of money as far as I'm concerned. It works for some...just not for us. I didn't have the time, money or patience to test to see what strong fragrances are good in it. Wish I could be more positive...but maybe someone who still uses it and has great success can help. I did order a sample of the CB135 and haven't tested it yet. Probably will blend it with some paraffin like EricofAZ does. The 464 is still a pretty decent soy even if it does frost a bit.

I started with the CB Advanced. Could make some pretty looking candles for a paperweight. Scent throw was not there. Then tried CB 135 and then GB 415 and 444. Finally found this forum and tried to read everything I could find. Picked up some 464 and have liked it the best. Found a wax/wick combination that was a good starting point.

I've been testing this wax for over a year with various additives and pour temps. I also prefer colored candles. And, because of that, I guess I need to embrace the frosting. And, I just don't wanna. Apparently, I haven't found the sweet spot to get a frost-free candle. I seemed to have better luck with the dye chips but like the flexibility of the liquid dyes. And, no spots on the bottom of the candle.

Even if I manage to get a nice looking candle with a darker color, if I put one of the containers away for a couple of months, it starts morphing into something not so nice looking. Finally made a decision that I wanted a frost-free candle instead of a label that said 'All Natural Soy'. I'm now doing a blend with a small percentage of paraffin and getting the look I want. Every time. Without having to check the barometric pressure or sacrifice a chicken. Ok, an exageration, been a long day and I'm tired. :rolleyes2 But, I have some candles I poured over a month ago with darker colors that look just as good as the day I poured them.

Now, just have to get the wicking down. I love the Eco's for the scent throw, but I can't seem to get rid of the mushroom and it seems to burn a bit hot for the container. The CD's have the almost perfect burn for me, but the scent throw isn't quite as good. So, still testing. Sorry for the mini-rant...

Anyway, 464 is a very nice wax and much better than the Advanced, imho. Just requires some coaxing. I'd bribe it if I could. :cheesy2: Like Stella says, search the forum. Lot's of info.

Made over 30 container candles with GB464. Got frosting at all different pour temps

Pour temp is not the ONLY factor that has an effect on frosting. There are some FOs that will frost no matter what. There are certain dyes that tend to frost. There are some FO/dye combos that frost worse than others. How the candle is cooled has a bearing on frosting. How the wax is handled when melting, etc. has a bearing on frosting. Just because you poured 30 candles at different temps is not necessarily conclusive nor a reason to jump ship to another wax. There are no soy waxes of which I am aware that do not frost to some extent. Soy wax is polymorphic. Some manufacturers claim to have made strides in reducing the effect, but no one has completely eliminated it.

The first candles I ever made were with Eco Advanced.I used Peak's FO's in 4 oz tins and I got excellent HT with most of them.Wicking was the big problem for me with this wax.They were gorgeous also!No frosting on the tops at all.Then someone gave me 100lbs of CB135 so I started working with that.I had nothing but problems with that wax,so I went back to Advanced.I have thought about trying a different soy wax or even adding some paraffin to it but havn't yet.I know that HT is possible with Advanced because I have experienced it!Good luck with whatever you decide.:)