When not to use FO's due to being old

ScentsandMore

I have some FO's that are probably 4-5 years old, and some that are 2-3 years old. If when I take the cap off and they still smell like they should, will they still be okay to use in candles? I have someone wanting to buy my candle supplies and don't want to sell something that isn't good. How old have you kept oils for and still was okay to use? Thank you.

Fragrance oils can actually last many years, depending on storage and type of oil. Honesty is always best. If this person wants to buy your oils, be honest with her. Let her decide if she wants them. I personally usually don't buy oils off classies anymore due to being "burned" too many times. If an oil is going bad, one can tell by the smell. When I buy out businesses, I always go personally to look at the product and smell it.

As for making candles with "old" oils, I have done it with no problems....burns great, smells great, satisfied customers. But you have to use your judgement.

I bought some FO's from a private source that was liquidating. One arrived in a glass bottle that was very thick and did not pour well at all. It also did not have much of a CT and absolutely no HT. So I think when it starts to gel, its time for the firestarters.

I have a few laying around that are about 3 years old that I still use every once in a while to make candles for family or myself, and they still seem to work fine for me. As for selling, I usually have moved onto a new fragrance line after a year or so, so I really have no need for the old FO other than for friends or family gifts :-)