Has the fo's changed?

Anna

I have a lady about every six months calls and orders six cases of candles.3 Cream Brulee,3Chestnuts and Brownsugar.She called me Tonight,and wanted to know if I put less fo in the Chestnut and Brown Sugar.I told her no,that I think they have changed the fo.I made them same as always,same wax.The fo is from Just Scent,has anybody else had this problemThanks

P.s.This was a new fo.

The way I read it it was a newly obtained bottle from JS that she purchased and she has used this aroma before.

Possibly, since I've personally noted this in some of my oils, when some FOs were re-formulated to be phthalate-free the aroma seemed a little weaker. I haven't used their C&BS.

Yes Judy you are reading it right,it is a new bottle of fo.It's not a fo that I have never used,I have used it for a few years.I made a candle with it last night.I 'm going to let it cure for a couple days and test it myself.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is happening with many of our oils from various suppliers. Candles that have been burning great for years are just giving us fits!! I'm about to the point where I'm just going to phase out candles....you spend a year or more perfecting it just to find yourself basically back at square one because they change the formulas to suit all the people who are paranoid about something that doesn't matter when put in a candle!! Grrr...done venting now :) Oh, and please pardon my super-big run-on sentence above ;-)

Yup, they are reformulating. Some suppliers are using the disclaimer "New and improved formula, test before using" to give us a heads up. We all know its that phelatyl whatever junk that has messed everything up. I still have fos from the before and they are more complex (more notes) and they have a totally different density and appearance. I'm getting fos now that have a green tint and don't throw worth a hoot. Its no worse than having your Chinese glass suddenly disappear off the market. Little guys need to unite!

Steve

That doesn't say much. We're in a lot more danger driving our cars to the grocery store but I don't see people slacking up on that. And fire is the leading cause of houses burning down but we still light up these candles.

I'm being only somewhat facetious, but that is just plain stupid. I've seen no proof mentioned anywhere that pthalates burning in a candle cause birth defects. And even if it did, look how little most people even burn candles.

And it still did not answer my question as to why these companies are reformulating. Are they doing it voluntarily, in which case I won't buy from those that do, or are they being forced to, in which case I'll just use up all the stock I have and get out of the candle hobby altogether?

Are these same FOs coming up weaker in soap and perfume too?

I was just posting information about pthalates. Not trying to pick a fight.

I believe CA has already banned them in personal care products with probably more states to follow. Fragrance companies are more than likely reformulating to get ahead of the curve. No they are probably not dangerous in a candle, but unless a supplier wants to carry two versions of the same oil...phthalate free and not then they must reformulate what they have. Many suppliers post in their descriptions now if an oil is phthalate free.

I use strictly pthalate free oils for my bath and body products and state that on the label.

I was just posting information about pthalates. Not trying to pick a fight.

Who's fighting? I'm looking for info to tell me whether it's worth my continuing to make candles or not. I'll quit buying wax if the FOs are going to be such poor quality I'll never use it up.

I believe CA has already banned them in personal care products with probably more states to follow. Fragrance companies are more than likely reformulating to get ahead of the curve. No they are probably not dangerous in a candle, but unless a supplier wants to carry two versions of the same oil...phthalate free and not then they must reformulate what they have. Many suppliers post in their descriptions now if an oil is phthalate free.

I use strictly pthalate free oils for my bath and body products and state that on the label.

That's nice if it doesn't make a difference in the scent of bath products, but it obviously does in candles. And if it really doesn't present any danger in candles and yet candle FO manufacturers change their formulas anyway, I'd like to know who does NOT so I can patronize them.

I understand if the fragrance companies want/need to reformalate theirs oils. I just wish they'd have the professionalism to post a statement on their website that they've done this. (Some do, and I'm happy about that).

However, for the ones that don't it's frustrating to make a large purchase of oils to find out they don't work and then you're out the money.

I'm sure the majority of us don't have that kind of money to just throw away. :(