A general question regarding craft fairs

pixie

My sister bakes cakes and wants to know if people sell baked goods at craft fairs. Im sorry to say I've haven't been to many craft fairs at all so I told her I'd ask you guys. I would think people would sell all kinds of foody items at farmers markets but not sure about craft fairs.

Thanks

My sister bakes cakes and wants to know if people sell baked goods at craft fairs. Im sorry to say I've haven't been to many craft fairs at all so I told her I'd ask you guys. I would think people would sell all kinds of foody items at farmers markets but not sure about craft fairs.

Thanks

There is an amazing Farmer's Market on Saturdays near me in season, and they have always had baked goods for sale, and now have tons of food vendors. Michigan just passed legislation on this issue, which should ideally help this "tricky" situation. I realize every area has different rules, but thought I'd share what I ran across last week...this was a hot topic with many contacts.

http://michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168--240569--,00.html

Governor Granholm Signs Bills Promoting Michigan Agriculture

July 12, 2010

Legislation encourages growth of cottage food operations

LANSING - Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today signed legislation that promotes Michigan agriculture by encouraging the production and sale of certain foods made by Michigan residents in their home kitchens.

These foods, called cottage food products, don't require temperature control for safety and include jams, jellies, granola, dried fruit and herbs, cereal, dry mixes, candy and baked goods. The production or packaging of cottage food products by someone in their home kitchen is defined by the legislation as a cottage food operation.

"This legislation promotes the production and sale of Michigan-made food products," Granholm said. "It will be a boost to small and medium-sized farms, local farmers markets and entrepreneurs throughout the state."

Regulatory barriers in the state's food production and distribution laws presently discourage many farmers from organizing cottage food operations. The legislation signed by the governor today removes these barriers by exempting cottage food operations from the licensing and inspection provisions of the Food Law of 2000 if they have annual gross sales of $15,000 or less. To ensure food safety, cottage food operations would still be subject to enforcement actions by the Michigan Department of Agriculture.

Cottage food products would have to be pre-packaged and properly labeled prior to sale. Certain information is required to be on the product label, including ingredients, allergen information as required by federal law, and the name and address of the cottage food operation.

The legislation also specifies that cottage food products can be sold only directly from the cottage food operation to the consumer. Internet and mail order sales are prohibited, as are sales by consignment or at wholesale.

The bills signed by the governor today are House Bill 5837, sponsored by State Representative Pam Byrnes (D-Chelsea), and House Bill 5280, sponsored by State Representative John Proos (R-St. Joseph).

# # #

I know this doesn't directly address your question, but I will add that every craft/trade/market style event I've been to has had food items: be it baked cookies, quickbreads, candy coated almonds, apples, and corn...you name it...even chocolate fountains that customers utilized (this freaked me out...23 yrs in hospitality makes me germophobic at times...LOL.) I would check with your local government website; that is where this information came from. HTH :)

OK ...here is a list of the rules here in MI now:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda/MDA-CFFAQ-MASTER_327558_7.pdf

Edited by B@BlissStreet
add more info

At the craft fairs I attend they do not allow crafters to bring baked goods. Usually the event sponsor has a separate application for food vendors ... and a separate set up area for them.

At the craft fair at Camp Lejeune the Officer's Wives (who host the fair) also run the kitchen and bake sale table and don't allow other food sales. They do have a couple of vendors who make and package dry rubs and the dry ingredients for dip mixes but they have to meed state regulations for labeling.

Many of the small local type craft shows allow baked goods. My monthly market allows them. The local farmers market also allows baked goods.

depends on where you are. We are in small town America so a city would certainly be different.

Almost all the shows I set up at have at least one amish person set up selling baked goods, jams, jellies. In Indiana the health inspector has to inspect the kitchen you intend to use (usually not your home) it's supposed to be all commercial stainless steel. It's only good for 1 county, so every county you sell in you have to have a license for. My neighbor makes/sells cotton candy & he had to go to school to be able to sell it.

In my area if you want to sell baked goods in the local craft shows and farmers markets you have to first have your kitchen inspected and be certified. I haven't looked into it as I don't sell baked goods but every baked goods vender I spoke with at my farmers market went thru the process so they had the paper work done to give to the market manager.

So-- check with the market manager and see what qualifications you may need to sell baked goods.

On a side note-- just because the vendor has been thru the inspection and certification process does not guarantee what they are selling that day is 'fresh' or won't make you sick. There are 2 baked goods venders at my market I will not buy from. These 2 ladies take the cakes and pies etc that didn't sell that day and stick them in the freezer to resell the next week at market. Problem is the goods were sitting in the hot summer sun all day and are no longer fresh or healthy to eat. I know because I made the mistake of buying a cake from them and got as sick as a dog along with cramps and the runs. Yuck!

But another baker at the same market has wonderful stuff thats fresh made for each market. She used to give away what was left over to all the venders at the end of the market. But now she has so many customers because of the quality of her goods that she never has anything left over to give out.

like everyone else said... most states have "country kitchen" laws. In my state they dont require commerical appliances but your dry and wet goods must be stored seperate from everything else, meaning you must have a pantry dedicated JUST to food for your business, as well as a seperate fridge, and freezer. Things must be sanitized just right, and air dry, so you need lots of space. You also cannot have any pets in your home. Cats, dogs, birds, rodents, nothing. Not just that they cant be in the kitchen... they cant be in the home at all. Do they enforce that? not sure... but its in there.

Also, nobody may enter the kitchen while the goods are being prepared, unless they are also food handling certified.. so kids, husband, whoever else cant come into their own kitchen. Its kinda a pain in the butt and I determined there was no way for me to fully comply so I didnt try. Someday I'm hoping to be able to timeshare a commerical kitchen (they have them for rent in some cities) with someone, because I'm a candy maker and a damn good one if I say so myself ;) but I cant risk it right now. Someday!!

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I should add... Im not sure if our local market enforces this. There is a lady who sells tamales.. a woman who sells granola mixes and nuts... another who sells cakes. And of course the regular food vendors. Theres a large bread company that comes too, but they bake in their own bakery down the road. I would assume based on what I've seen at our show that they DONT require any proof of certification, but thats not to say they shouldnt....