color question

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking into coloring. Every color can be broken down into a computer code of RGB (red/green/blue) or hexidecimal or CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black). There are a few other ways of calculating color.

The CMYK works best for candle making (and printing images on white paper). The reason is because the max value of each color is 100 (not so with the other schemes). In CMYK, always assume that white is 100 for the formula, though you won't necessarily be adding white since the wax is white.

Wax is not really fully white, so that does effect the formula a bit.

There are color pickers and color wheels on the internet that you can get which will provide a CMYK value for the color you choose.

One color that I saw that looked like pink grapefruit (and you would maybe choose something different) was C-0, M-50, Y-50, K-0

So to build that, I would mix even parts of Magenta and Yellow and add very little to the wax (effectively increasing the white component) or a lot (effectively darkening the color as in more saturation but not changing the hue).

The key is to stay with the formula and just add more of it to make it richer (more saturated). Don't add black to darken (K) because that changes the formula which changes the color.

Edited by EricofAZ