Scenting 12" tapers...question

I am new and learning when it comes to candle making and have what I hope is a simple question. I would like to make Frankincense 12” tapers but want to use 100% pure frankincense essence/oil. I guess my question is, when making scented candles, can you use essence/oils or will only scents oils that I see on candle supply websites work.

Thanks ahead of time.

Thank you kindly for this solid advice, scent throw would be important and FO is very, very expensive (pure) so I wouldn’t want to waste it if it wouldn’t produce good scent. A friend made a suggestion that I thought might work but I wanted to present it to experienced candle makers. Frankincense powder, it would not dissolve in the melted wax and the idea is that when the candle burns the powder within the wax would "burn" producing a nice scent throw, not to mention it would be allot cheaper. Question is, can you add incense powders to candle wax??

I have had this request from customers who run a temple and would love to have frankincense tapers, but only if its real frankincense and not just the scent.

Thank you again

I make a lot of tapers and most are unscented......I do occasionally scent them, but lightly, as it will affect the burn and I do have to wick up usually. If you put the powder in it you will more than likely end up clogging the wick and it will drip and make a heck of a mess. A properly wicked taper should burn all the wax without dripping. I have one customer that I heavily scent her tapers, but she doesn't burn them, they are for decoration only.

So tapers seem to be out, I guess that leaves me with Pillars? I guess if I want to make a white candle that has a good scent throw using Pure Frankinsence, the best would be <blank>? I would like to stay away from Jars.

Also, wick up? does that mean go with a heavy wick? Sorry, I am really new to this

Wicks come in many different sizes and materials......so 'wick up' means going to the next larger size. Also don't expect it to be easy, you may end up trying dozens of different type wicks till you get it right. Make sure when you get your essential oil, you get plenty to test with........candle making is definately not a cheap hobby. Most of us tested for months and spent hundreds of dollars before we sold our first candle. As far as wax, no one can tell you what type to use...... you need to find a supplier, order some samples and test, test, test to find out what YOU like best. Good luck!!

Olibanaum oil (Frankincense EO) is light yellow. I would not use it or Frankincense resins (range in color from the best which is white/light lemon yellow to dark amber). If you see gold Frankincense, its been dyed. There is no real research on the safety of burning EOs and that is why I don't do it. The powdered resin will sink and/or will clog your wicks.

I'm surprised your folks at the temple are even bothering with Frankincense-scented candles and are not just burning the straight resin in makko (specific tree bark) - it will last a VERY long time with little smoke depending upon how well its done. This is how its usually done at temples and other ceremonial places and why I mention it.

For the temple customers, I would simply suggest white or yellow beeswax tapers or pillars. Its a natural product they may love unless of course they are against using it as it is an animal-based ingredient. You didn't say the type of temple but I believe even Buddhists et. al. use beeswax in sculptures so it may be worth the suggestion. If you want the strongest "honey" fragrance from it you would use the yellow, non-cosmetic beeswax. (Beeswax itself and the refining process can have a large effect on the amount of fragrance in the wax - I use fully refined BW and I still am able to smell it). Now, whether they will want to PAY you for using beeswax is another story all together.

Chris is definitely right, you'll have to test anything you make, no matter what wax or additives you use.

HTH