Oil/Lard Smell in Soaps

candlemama

I've made one batch of CP, one batch of OHP, and one rebatch so far, using the same basic recipe of grocery store oils: 50% lard, 25% CO, 20% OO, and 5% Castor oil. The CP batch was made about 5 days ago and the HP last night. I know they haven't cured much yet, but I am still noticing a oil or lard smell on the soaps. For example, I just grated one of the CP blocks to make a rebatch and the oil/lard smell seems pretty strong after I grated it.

Will this smell fade as the soaps cure, or is the smell just part of my recipe since I used a lot of lard? Just curious for future batches/recipes.

Thanks.

CBE aka Donna suggested that I try Lard in my soap but she warned me that if I overheat the lard that it will have a smell. The last batch I made I added lard to my batch using the cp method. I do not heat my oils I add the lye solution to the hard oils and let them melt and then I add my soft oils......I had no odor from the lye. As for as the smell fading after sometime maybe someone else could chime in with an answer the that question.

Hope this helps

Sheli

And it's true that overheated, lard stinks.

Ah, maybe that's why my OHP batch has a stronger oil/lard smell than my CP batch or even my rebatches. I kept the oven at 180 degrees when I did my OHP. Is that too hot for lard?

I'd say the smell is fading from my first unscented CP batch I did last week. I just noticed it again when I grated it for the rebatch. So, hopefully, it will continue fading over time.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Be sure to melt your lard on low temperatures, it it gets too hot the lard smells stronger.

Thanks. Now reading everyone's posts, I think I may have melted it too high. I did 30 sec spurts in the microwave until it melted. Next time I'll try a double boiler method on low temps.

I stopped using Lard for this reason, I could never get rid of the lard smell. Even bars that were well over a year old...still smell lard! Yuck! I tried everything to get rid of that smell, not over heating, using less, other brands etc...and still couldn't get rid of it! I quit using it since my nose must just be prone to picking up that lard scent. Gag!

Every single batch of soap I make has lard in it, every single batch of soap that I've made in the past 4 years has lard in it. I have never, ever smelled lard in my soap. I use lard at 20% of my oils. I have used armour (not my favorite) and the lard smells stronger before melting and I've used another brand but I can't remember the brand (in a green bucket at Walmart) that I like much better but I have never smelled lard in my soap, not even when it was fresh.

Every single batch of soap I make has lard in it, every single batch of soap that I've made in the past 4 years has lard in it. I have never, ever smelled lard in my soap. I use lard at 20% of my oils. I have used armour (not my favorite) and the lard smells stronger before melting and I've used another brand but I can't remember the brand (in a green bucket at Walmart) that I like much better but I have never smelled lard in my soap, not even when it was fresh.

So the green bucket one isn't Armor?

What percentage was your lye solution?

I just used the default percentage on SoapCalc which was 27.261% lye concentration, and the lye/water ratio was 2.668:1, with my water as 38% of oil weight.

I'm also using the lard in a bucket from Walmart, white bucket with green writing. I wonder if it's because I overheated the lard? I really like the soap otherwise and LOVE that lard is so cheap. I'd like to keep using it.

For those of you who have no lard smell in your soaps, how do you melt the lard?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I have a hot plate in the shop that heats all my oils just until they are barely melted. I keep a thermometer in it and withdraw from the heat before it reaches 100 degrees. I think some people melt with a microwave just until it is soft and mushy. HTH

Steve

That's hilarious. I can't quite figure out what being young and in love has to do with eating lard, but who am I to question the marketing geniuses of old...

I think I'm going to give it another try tonight, but lower the amount of lard and try melting it at a lower temp.

So the green bucket one isn't Armor?

Armour is a white bucket with green writing. I think the brand of the one in the green bucket is Morell or something like that.

I melt my hard oils and then add the lard and stir to melt. If it doesn't melt, I microwave a little longer and stir some more. Then I add my liquid oils.

Armour is a white bucket with green writing. I think the brand of the one in the green bucket is Morell or something like that.

I melt my hard oils and then add the lard and stir to melt. If it doesn't melt, I microwave a little longer and stir some more. Then I add my liquid oils.

Yep, just checked and mine is Armour. I have to go to Walmart today to pick up some more CO, so I'll see if I can find the brand in the green bucket.

I'll have to look to see our WM carries that now. They did away with the big buckets of the Armour one so ended up with a cube from Columbus, but rather reduce chance need for ordering stuff I can get locally.

i was going to try CPHP with eugenia's tutorial recipe but now i'm kind of afraid. it was the first soap i made and i've made it again since but only CP. i never smelled the lard in it. here's the recipe.

10% Castor Oil

20% Coconut Oil (76 degree)

35% Lard

35% Olive Oil

someone who tested my original batch just asked for more, but she needs it soon, so no time for regular CP.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

tia,

eileen

Edited by dogmom1
to add something

Can the customer wait at least a week? I understand that it would be better if the soap could have a longer cure time but a week would be sufficient with cp IMHO. If all goes well and it is fully saponified then you are only waiting for the water to evaporate. You could go for a higher lye concentration (35%). HTH

Steve