Question on Lye

CandleMama6

I was going to try some CP soap this week-end and I have been looking for lye all week long, however, NO ONE has it. I cannot find any place that carries it and a lot of people have never even heard of it.

Any suggestions as to where I can get this?

Thanks!!

Locally, I purchased mine at Ace Hardware. Rooto brand.

I haven't checked locally yet to see if I can get this brand because I still need to do a lot more reading before my first CP attempt. Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if this brand comes in pellet form or flakes? I read that the pellet form can get static electricity and stick to things, whereas the flake form doesn't. Just curious.

I haven't checked locally yet to see if I can get this brand because I still need to do a lot more reading before my first CP attempt. Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if this brand comes in pellet form or flakes? I read that the pellet form can get static electricity and stick to things, whereas the flake form doesn't. Just curious.

It's pellets and can get some static to it. It's really not hard to work with though. I have a tray for my scale that I line with wax paper, measure and pour. Then I can pitch the wax paper and not have to worry about any pellets hanging around.

I was going to try some CP soap this week-end and I have been looking for lye all week long, however, NO ONE has it. I cannot find any place that carries it and a lot of people have never even heard of it.

Any suggestions as to where I can get this?

Thanks!!

I also buy mine at Ace Hardware because they cut me a deal for buying a case at a time. I did just look when I was in Menards the other day and they still have it on the shelf there. My Lowes also used to carry it but I haven't looked recently. True Value has it too. At all of the above places it is Rooto lye. Lowes and Menards it's around the cleaning products and drain cleaner area. It does say 100% lye on it. If you don't have any luck, AAA Chemicals (think they're out of TX) I have ordered from before and usually have decent prices.

If you have an Ace or True Value close, ask the manager to look it up for you they should be able to stock it.

I have tried Lowes, Ace, and Home Depot. At Lowes, the guy didn't even know what it was!! The other places did not carry it. I will have to get the phone book out and start calling.

Also, thanks for the link Barbara. It may just well be that I have to order it online.

Yeah I'd say that is a good price. When I was able to get it locally I paid about $6.99 for 2 lbs. You can get it cheaper by buying in bulk online but you also have to pay an extra hazmat fee for shipping.

Just starting out buy from your local source then if and when your hooked you can buy in bulk.

I pay $3.31 lb. For me the biggest savings is no shipping. It's nice to be able to pick it up locally when you need it fast. AAA Chemicals has it for $2.25 lb but that's not figuring in the shipping cost.

I just went to their site and it is cheaper to have them ship it than what it will cost me local. I will have to talk to the store local and see if they would be willing to lower their prices any. I can get is for $3.30 shipped through AAA. At the Lye guy it will cost me $3.49 lb so still cheaper.

Guess I will have to call the manager tomorrow and see what I can work out.

• 2 weeks later...

My True Value will order by the case for me...but I decided a year ago to start ordering from The Lye Guy. I like the containers he uses and his price/shipping are good. I hate have to open the store ones...press down and turn. I have bad hands as it is and that's hard for me.

Well, most employees at those stores have no clue what they have. I just go to the plumbing section and it is usually there. Our local Ace Hardware carries lye as well as every TSC (Tractor Supply) I have been in carries lye. And yes it is much higher to buy local by the pound or two pound conatiners. I buy it in an emergency situation.