Anyone having probs with Peaks Paraffin 140?

I got Peaks new straight paraffin 140 mp wax, and have had nothing but problems with it. I switched after they stopped supplying the 1343a wax, which I never had problems with.

My problem is #1. It won't mottle. I use 1oz. fo per lb of wax with no additives, and I use peaks fo's too. It does nothing. I remelted and added another 1/2 oz fo, and still nothing.

#2. It claims to have very little shrinkage? I've never seen wax strink this much in my life. I poke my pillar holes as usual, making sure they are open well. By the next day, my air holes have sucked down a good 4 to 5 inches in my 9 inch pillar mold, which in turn has completely ruined the base of my candle. I'm very VERY disappointed! I've always been so happy with Peak in the past, but I'm not happy with this wax.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong? I pour my mottled candles very hot in a room that's about 74 degrees and let them cool as slow as possible. I've just never seen a candle come out so bad in my life.

Any ideas?

I've never used it since it's new, but I just read up on it. Definately should mottle. Maybe what came with it is different, but Peaks site doesn't say anything about low shrinkage.

Maybe email Alan and ask if there's any other specifics for this wax to help it mottle.... dunno

I have a case of that wax, and I've been very happy w/it. I find it odd that it won't mottle for you, because it mottles extremely easily for me (even when I pour cool and stick it in a water bath!). I wonder if their batches aren't being made the same inadvertently? I hope not, because I really like this wax, and would hate to be disappointed the next time I order it.

edited to say that I haven't noticed any more shrinkage than I had w/1343 wax

It's opaque. According to the label it's the correct wax.
The 140MP straight paraffin should have some translucency to it. The 145MP pillar blend would be opaque and you wouldn't be able to get it to mottle in a million years. You might want to review which one you wanted, which one you ordered, and which one you got.

Perhaps I just described it wrong. I thought when you asked if it were opaque, I thought you meant, is it whitish. It does have some translucency to it. I do know that I ordered the right wax, and that I got the right wax according to the label. My invoice says it's the 140 also.

I'll have to take a picture of my next try just so you can see how much it caves in when cooling. It's severe.

You might be able to decrease the caving by making sure the relief holes are big enough. For instance, I find it handy to use chopsticks but I use the blunt end and sometimes even widen the holes a bit.

If you're in the habit of making mottles you might have gotten accustomed to having your candles shrink less in the mold. If the wax doesn't mottle it will shirink a whole lot more, so ultimately I think the mottling is the real problem.

I don't know why they aren't mottling. It sounds as though you put in enough FO and if there are no additives you would think it would work. Paraffins vary tremendously in their mottling behavior and I'm not familiar with this one. You could try a different FO - that can make a big difference sometimes.

Ok guys, I tried yet ANOTHER candle using Peaks Straight Paraffin 140 MP Wax. I used 34 oz. of wax to 2 oz. of Peak Lavender FO, 3 drops of purple color and no additives, not even UV. I heated my seamless mold this time, and poured at about 180 degrees and wrapped in a towel to slow the cooling process. This was all taking place in a room that's about 74 to 75 degrees.

This time the strinkage wasn't nearly as bad as previous attempts, so I was ok with that. It still had a mis shaped base, but not too bad. But look, nearly no mottling took place with the exception of some on top and a few tiny specks on the sides. This was the MOST mottling I've gotten so far. Sad!

Also... since this wax is only to retain 3% to 4% of FO per pound of wax, I was expecting some color and FO seapage, but that didn't happen either.

I just don't get this. When I used the 1343A wax, mottling was a piece of cake. Now I can't mottle a candle if my life depended on it!

I've written Peaks and asked if it were possible that the wax was mis labeled, or if there was a bad batch that shipped out? We'll see what they have to say, cuz this wax is useless for me. I certainly don't want to pay to ship it back.

Heavy Sigh....:cry2:

post-1512-139458387618_thumb.jpg

Regina, the one thing you can count on with mottling is that no wax can replace another, unless it's basically the same wax like 1274 and 1343. You're dealing with a different animal now with its own personality and you have to get to know it. I have a few thoughts that might be helpful...

The difference in mottling between various FOs can be drastic. I mean seriously drastic. Lavender FOs have always produced less mottle for me, so maybe it was an unlucky selection for your first test.

Another thing to consider is that the stated FO retention for a wax is only the vaguest estimate. Each FO is an entirely different set of chemicals with radically different compatibility with the wax. Obviously the wax is holding your lavender FO very well and its retention level for that one is quite high. It's only going to mottle well when it can barely hold the oil, so in this case you seem to need more.

Finally, while it's true that mottles will generally hold FO better and mottle less with stearic added, it's not 100% true. If you add only about 1.5% stearic acid, it will actually disrupt the crystal structure and make the candle mottle more. You might even be able to take advantage of that to mottle this candle without adding more FO, or maybe just a touch more.

HTH.

Regina, the one thing you can count on with mottling is that no wax can replace another, unless it's basically the same wax like 1274 and 1343. You're dealing with a different animal now with its own personality and you have to get to know it. I have a few thoughts that might be helpful...

The difference in mottling between various FOs can be drastic. I mean seriously drastic. Lavender FOs have always produced less mottle for me, so maybe it was an unlucky selection for your first test.

Another thing to consider is that the stated FO retention for a wax is only the vaguest estimate. Each FO is an entirely different set of chemicals with radically different compatibility with the wax. Obviously the wax is holding your lavender FO very well and its retention level for that one is quite high. It's only going to mottle well when it can barely hold the oil, so in this case you seem to need more.

Finally, while it's true that mottles will generally hold FO better and mottle less with stearic added, it's not 100% true. If you add only about 1.5% stearic acid, it will actually disrupt the crystal structure and make the candle mottle more. You might even be able to take advantage of that to mottle this candle without adding more FO, or maybe just a touch more.

HTH.

Thanks very much for the info. I can give it try.

I do want to let you know that this isn't my first test. It's my first. Each time I've tried a new FO with a different maker. One ounce per pound.

I can't wait to hear from Peaks too!

i haven't tried the new wax, but last time i ordered 1343 from peaks it came in a 1343 box, but it was more like 4625. it was very creamy looking and made the most beautiful solid colored candles you could imagine. then i ordered 1343a from lonestar and it looks like it should, but mottling is all off. mottles less with stearic and more with vybar. that is some srewed up wax.

hope you can figure it out. maybe try changing the pouring temp. you just never know what will help.

I got a response from Peak after my second attempt. Here's the reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry and I apologize for the oversight and the delay in getting back with you. We are discontinuing the PEAK 140 wax due to inconsistencies in manufacturing with our contract manufacturer, such as inconsistent mottling with the PEAK 140 wax, as well as other manufacturing issues with our contract manufacturer. We are bringing back IGI’s waxes, which will include IGI 1343A and IGI 1274. The IGI 1274 wax will be available mid week next week, and the IGI 1343A will be available in two weeks. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Happy Holidays!"

I guess there will be no Christmas Candles this year. Not enough time to get new wax and start all over again. I finally took the candle and remelted it again, added more stearic and poured at a really low temp to turn it into a Rustic, but only the top inch of the 9 inches came out Rustic, the rest was a disaster. What the heck am I going to do with 20 lbs of this stuff? :waiting:

I had trouble getting mottles too. I even added some of the snowflake oil and got very little mottle. My rustics were only rustic around the tops and not very pretty.

I'm not too bad off tho cause I have only 1 1/2 slab left of the case. It does make nice creamy candles if you use vybar.

I got another response from Peak about the wax problem.

Here's the response:

"We would be happy to send you 20 lbs. of IGI 1274 Mottling wax at our expense when it comes in next week. You can just hold onto the PEAK 140 wax in case you ever need to make non-mottled candles. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Have a wonderful weekend."

YAY! I've never used 1274 before. I hope it's good stuff. Unfortunately there won't be enough time to get my candles out before Christmas. I need to rethink my gift now. Oh well....

Are you guys happy with the 1274?

• 4 months later...
Ok guys, I tried yet ANOTHER candle using Peaks Straight Paraffin 140 MP Wax. I used 34 oz. of wax to 2 oz. of Peak Lavender FO, 3 drops of purple color and no additives, not even UV. I heated my seamless mold this time, and poured at about 180 degrees and wrapped in a towel to slow the cooling process. This was all taking place in a room that's about 74 to 75 degrees.

This time the strinkage wasn't nearly as bad as previous attempts, so I was ok with that. It still had a mis shaped base, but not too bad. But look, nearly no mottling took place with the exception of some on top and a few tiny specks on the sides. This was the MOST mottling I've gotten so far. Sad!

Also... since this wax is only to retain 3% to 4% of FO per pound of wax, I was expecting some color and FO seapage, but that didn't happen either.

I just don't get this. When I used the 1343A wax, mottling was a piece of cake. Now I can't mottle a candle if my life depended on it!

I've written Peaks and asked if it were possible that the wax was mis labeled, or if there was a bad batch that shipped out? We'll see what they have to say, cuz this wax is useless for me. I certainly don't want to pay to ship it back.

Heavy Sigh....:cry2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to get rid of the stuff, you can sell it to me. I don't do mottling.

Is this stuff hard as 1343?