My 1st Rag Quilt

candlelady

When you say your going to make a rag quilt ... you REALLY mean it. Now you have done two. I have had flannel squares for years, never done anything with them.

I have the top squares and a fabric to use for the bottom but what did you use for the middle layer? I have some stuff that is used for quilts called Warm and ? but can't remember if that is what I planned on using. I really don't think this stuff will ravel like it should.

Your quilt looks wonderful, love the colors, makes it look so girlie. Would make a beautiful covering for a bed. Thanks for the pictures, they are inspiring.

When you say your going to make a rag quilt ... you REALLY mean it. Now you have done two. I have had flannel squares for years, never done anything with them.

I have the top squares and a fabric to use for the bottom but what did you use for the middle layer? I have some stuff that is used for quilts called Warm and ? but can't remember if that is what I planned on using. I really don't think this stuff will ravel like it should.

Your quilt looks wonderful, love the colors, makes it look so girlie. Would make a beautiful covering for a bed. Thanks for the pictures, they are inspiring.

Thank you for your compliments! I started with a kit first to see if I could "get the hang of it" and it's going really well I think.

What the kits come with is flannel for the "batting" and the backing. I like especially for the baby quilts, it's just so soft and rags really well.

The fronts are cotton, minky and chenille squares. The minky won't rag, but it sure is soft.

The batting you have is Warm and Natural and will not rag. Also, that type would be cut smaller than your quilt squares and requires to be "sewn down" every so many inches (it should say on the back of the bag).

I made a smaller baby quilt yesterday is lots of pinks and white. It's is too cute!

I have a rag quilt on my king size bed that I had a lady make for me years ago in the primitive homespuns with valances and pillow shams. It's great! I kept looking at it thinking "one day I'm gonna tackle that craft"..... That's my next project is with homespuns. My new addiction.

I have viewed some tutorials on youtube too.

Thanks!

Carrie

Thank you for your nice compliments! My next project that I have commited to is a queen size rag quilt for my nephew and his bride-to-be. I've ordered bout $500 in fabric of all sorts, but theirs will be in primitive homespun checks and ticking (my favs). I'll post pics when it's done, if my weekend schedule will cease! LOL

I just delivered the 300+ oyster cups and votive candles for their reception. Still have their mailbox for the wedding gift cards left to do. I post that one too!

Why do I always volunteer?

Why do I always volunteer?

Because you are a very talented lady who is also a nice person.

Are you planning on pre-washing the homespun? I've found it best to do that because of the different shrink rates.

Edited by Judy, USMC

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Judy for the compliment. I try to be nice...he he.

I agree, I was reading that washing before putting the quilt together is a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow, then start cutting all the squares. It has to be done by June 12th. I better get moving! LOL

Also have a baby boy rag quilt to do as well.

I'll post when they are done.