Fruity FOs in Soy

I'm curious if there is a rule-of-thumb when it comes to some of the fruity and citrusy FOs, and any special considerations with soy. The peach FO I got from my local supplier smelled divine from the bottle, and from the cold throw in the candle. But when I burned it, there was a definite rotten/sour kind of smell... it was horrible.

I'm hoping in the case of this peach FO I need to let it cure a lot longer (I got impatient and burned it after 48 hours). But it made me wonder if anything else should be considered for these types of scents, such as how hot the wax is when the FO is added.

Thanks in advance,

Susan

Some scents particularly citrus scents may give off whats referred to as a fuel smell. It may help to blend a small amount of another FO to help with that. Some add a little bit of vanilla while others try different oils that compliment the scent. If this doesn't work I'd test another oil.

One other factor that might have been a problem was the candle was over-wicked. Do over-wicked candles alter the scent during HT?

Some scents particularly citrus scents may give off whats referred to as a fuel smell. It may help to blend a small amount of another FO to help with that. Some add a little bit of vanilla while others try different oils that compliment the scent. If this doesn't work I'd test another oil.
Thanks, that's good to know. I hate to mess with this scent, but I have a # so I might have to.
You're lucky if you find a peach that smells right. There are some "peach" FOs that throw well and smell nice, but only if you've never smelled fresh peaches.
:laugh2:

That Georgia Peach is like a number of Peak FOs--it throws well but is the candy version of what it's supposed to be. Kind of peachy and pleasant, but far from natural smelling. However, I don't know a better one at this point. At least it works.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

That Georgia Peach is like a number of Peak FOs--it throws well but is the candy version of what it's supposed to be. Kind of peachy and pleasant, but far from natural smelling. However, I don't know a better one at this point. At least it works.

To get around this problem I've stuck to peach blends, like Mango Peach Salsa or Ginger Peach. Helps a lot imo!

fruit fo's are one of the hardest scents to find that do not have a fuel smell, for me in my 415..

i have tried so many fruits..that it is disheartening..

i want a good Mulberry so bad..i have found 1 mulberry that was wonderful..but it didn't have hardly any HT..

Thanks everyone. I've been on holiday and haven't poured any candles for over a week! :shocked2:

I found a peach candle with a smaller sized wick in my tester drawer that had cured for 10 days and burned it and it still smelled disgusting. So I can rule out the wick size and cure length. I had added the FO in that batch at around 170* so I'll try another batch with the temperature a lot lower (maybe 135*). Fingers crossed I get better results. But since the CT of these candles smell yummy even though I added the FO at 170*, I'm not sure if a lower FO add-temp will make a difference.

I use C3 so it may be a little different than what you do, but the biggest issue I have is NG fresh orange - smells just like a fresh orange in the bottle, but in the wax, it's like a creamsicle...not bad, but not right.

Different blends are good, like it says above...try finding a peach and....... that might work. I have some scents I get requests for that I just can't do because the scent doesn't match up.

FYI for anyone out there using NG fresh orange, try NG clementine...it's awesome in C3

Most other fruit scents seeem fine in c3 . Pomegranate, blueberry, cuke melon, all are fine.

I use C3 so it may be a little different than what you do, but the biggest issue I have is NG fresh orange - smells just like a fresh orange in the bottle, but in the wax, it's like a creamsicle...not bad, but not right.

Different blends are good, like it says above...try finding a peach and....... that might work. I have some scents I get requests for that I just can't do because the scent doesn't match up.

FYI for anyone out there using NG fresh orange, try NG clementine...it's awesome in C3

Most other fruit scents seeem fine in c3 . Pomegranate, blueberry, cuke melon, all are fine.

Andy, thank you so much for your comments. I have ordered from NG and I think their customer service is great. Good to know that their Clementine might be a good fit for me too.

And I am happy to report that by pouring the peach FO at 138* and curing for only three days the HT is great :yay:. It still isn't as succulent as it's CT but a DEFINITE improvement.

Andy, thank you so much for your comments. I have ordered from NG and I think their customer service is great. Good to know that their Clementine might be a good fit for me too.

This is a really good example of YMMV. I found the NG Clementine to be a heavy, overly sweet candy orange fragrance, not at all fresh & fruity. *shudder*

Edited by mzpickles

In my last order from NG, I bought a bottle of Yuzu - haven't tried it in a candle as yet, but smells delicious from the bottle :)

Wonder if anyone has tried it and whether it has a good HT ?

Oh and another I love the scent of is Sweet Orange Chili Pepper - just have to find time to try these 2 in a container candles.

I guess this should be in the fragrance forum, but all this talk of fruity FOs has got me thinking about something. Pacifica sells a fragrance called Blood Orange. It knocked my socks off when I picked it up to sniff in the store. I'd love to try out an FO like that.