wrapping CP soap question

Debk

I have kraft soap boxes but hate to put them in the boxes in the store since they have an oval window. Will shrink wrap be ok? I am afraid that the shrink wrap will make them sweat more if it gets humid. Hate to have them exposed with everyone touching them and dust in the air. I also thought I could wrap them in kraft paper and label but then they can't see the soap at all. Any suggestions welcomed. They will be sitting on shelves in a store. Thanks.

For shows I did use the box, and then set out an unwrapped bar for people to pick up and sniff... but in a store that bar might get nasty very quickly. I'd worry about people trying to open the boxes to look at the soap.

This time around I am trying shrink wrap and a band around the bar under the wrap. There isnt much humidity around here though, and that does make a difference Im sure.

One thing that I think really helps with the shrink wraps is that I dont wrap them until at least 6 weeks.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I shrink wrapped a 10 week old pink sugar with vanilla stabilizer, it turned a deep dark purple after about 3 weeks. Just an FYI. I will be using boxes for soap with VS in them. The unwrapped pink sugar is still as new.

the sage has shrink tubes for cp soap. with the tubes you don't fully shrink wrap the bars (open ends for the soap to breathe) and it allows you to put a cigar band underneath it and keep it tight (shrinkage, ya know).

it's an idea, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the shrink wrap from Sage, Dan's Bands, when I sell at craft fairs. I put my cigar band on first, then the shrink wrap. Yes, the ends are open but I can tell you from experience if you leave the shrink wrap on for more than a month you will start to see those dreaded orange spots on your soap. I made the mistake of not taking the shrink wrap off after a craft fair and a few months later those soaps had orange spots. I live in Colorado where it is DRY, DRY, DRY. All of my soaps without the shrink wrap are fine and never develop any DOS at all. For soaps sitting in a store, I use the soap box with the cutout. This way they can see the soap and smell it, AND the soap can breath. For craft fairs, if I don't have another one coming up immediately I take off the shrink wrap until the next fair.

I use the shrink wrap from Sage, Dan's Bands, when I sell at craft fairs. I put my cigar band on first, then the shrink wrap. Yes, the ends are open but I can tell you from experience if you leave the shrink wrap on for more than a month you will start to see those dreaded orange spots on your soap. I made the mistake of not taking the shrink wrap off after a craft fair and a few months later those soaps had orange spots. I live in Colorado where it is DRY, DRY, DRY. All of my soaps without the shrink wrap are fine and never develop any DOS at all. For soaps sitting in a store, I use the soap box with the cutout. This way they can see the soap and smell it, AND the soap can breath. For craft fairs, if I don't have another one coming up immediately I take off the shrink wrap until the next fair.

It must have something to do with your recipe. I have soaps that have been shrink wrapped for over a year with the tube wrap, ends open (I get mine from Uline, way cheaper) and have never had DOS. I never unwrap mine, just occasionally have to hit them with a heat gun to tighten them up. I live in IL where the humidity gets up in the 80% range in the summer and my stuff sits out at the farmers market in the sun every weekend.

I have kraft soap boxes but hate to put them in the boxes in the store since they have an oval window. Will shrink wrap be ok? I am afraid that the shrink wrap will make them sweat more if it gets humid. Hate to have them exposed with everyone touching them and dust in the air. I also thought I could wrap them in kraft paper and label but then they can't see the soap at all. Any suggestions welcomed. They will be sitting on shelves in a store. Thanks.

If they are regular soaps (not salt bars) you shouldn't get much, if any, sweating.

• 2 weeks later...

I also use shrink wrap, and actually do not use the bands - I shrink wrap the soap entirely, but heat blow a smell hole on the top of each bar.

I have bars that have been wrapped for a year or more also - have never had a problem with dos. All I have to do is reshrink them with the heat gun for the next upcoming show and am good to go.

Vanessa

I agree that shrinking wrapping does not cause DOS; its a result of the recipe used. I have soaps I have had for 4+ years that are shrinked wrapped in a cigar band that are still fine. FWIW - Its also possible to get DOS on some bars of a batch and not on others.

Edited by Meridith

What is DOS??

deadly orange spots... its just an aesthetic issue really, theres nothing "wrong" with the soap but I wouldnt sell it still... high amounts of canola seems to cause it in SOME cases however I did a test batch with 50% canola, and I didnt get DOS. So, I dont believe its caused simply by the kind of oil. I had a batch with 20% do it though... and it was only 2 bars out of a batch of 20. Totally odd... but I realized those two bars were stored in the bathroom, and the spots developed a month after they were in there.... so honestly, I think the humidity could have caused it.

Theories I've heard are .... rancid oils, high canola or sunflower (rice bran too maybe?), using distilled water instead of just regular tap water (maybe mineral content in water?), keeping your superfat to under 5%, and cure out of sunlight.

Honestly, I cant give a 100% answer on this... but thats all the stuff I've read. For me, they only showed up that ONE time and I'd used that old recipe (I dont use canola anymore, or if I do, less than 5%) about 10 times and it was the only batch, and only those two bars.. the only difference was they were in filtered light, where the others were cured in the shade/dark, and they were in a humid bathroom. So.. mystery but I think thats what caused them for me.