FO in palm wax candles....

For the last 2 years I have been using 5% fo in my palm wax candles. I am wondering if there is a significant difference between using the 5% or the suggested 6%.

Also, in using the uv stabilizer, can you use too much? I just recently started using it and it suggest 1/4 tsp per lb. and wondered if this sounds about right.

Thanks much,

Deb

The higher amount is 20% more fragrance oil than you're currently using, which usually translates into noticeably more scent throw. You would want to retest the candles after changing the amount because there could be a difference in the performance of the wick or the way the wax melts.

6% is suggested by some suppliers as a maximum, but others say 5% and some say higher than 6%. It's never really very clear for any type of wax, and it can vary with the FO. You can choose the amount based on your personal preference, cost, and the result of testing. In my short foray into palm wax I have mostly been using 5%, but I've tried larger amounts here and there and nothing bad happened. About an oz per lb is a pretty common usage rate.

Why don't you start by increasing the amount for your weakest scents.

1/4 tsp per lb is a typical recommendation for UV. I don't know what happens if you use too much, but you don't normally need a lot.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Thank you Top. I'm going to give the 6% a try. I am going to have to use the uv stabilizer because I have some candles fading really bad. The worst one was my blueberry muffin, which was a dark blue. These do not get direct sunlight, so I am a little mystified why they are discoloring. Does florescent lighting cause problems, too?

Thanks, Top

Deb

The worst one was my blueberry muffin, which was a dark blue. These do not get direct sunlight, so I am a little mystified why they are discoloring. Does florescent lighting cause problems, too?

Flourescent lighting does cause problems. It just takes a longer exposure.

However, regular UV inhibitor might not help with your blueberry muffins. You should try yours just to see, but certain colors seem to fade from some sort of chemical reaction or pH effect. I've noticed this most recently with cobalt blue in a palm candle. I'm not sure if it's more the wax that's responsible or certain fragrance oils.

If the stabilizer you have doesn't work for your specific problem, try this one:

http://cart.candlesupply.com/product.php?productid=19973&cat=297&page=1

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Once I had a problem while pouring midnight blue palm pillars. It was a set of 5, and the color was changing to a violet while I was pouring them. I had a pot with wax, scent and colr in it, and was scooping it oout to put it in the pour pot.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

Every pillar was a different shade of blue until the last came out violet.

:mad:

Once I had a problem while pouring midnight blue palm pillars. It was a set of 5, and the color was changing to a violet while I was pouring them. I had a pot with wax, scent and colr in it, and was scooping it oout to put it in the pour pot.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

Every pillar was a different shade of blue until the last came out violet.

:mad:

That's exactly what happened to me. I was using cobalt blue and cornflower blue. The colors went violet and continued to fade in the candle over the course of a few days.

Peaks and CS both suggest the same amount for UV Inhibitor at 1/2 tsp per lb. I used to use a 1/4 tsp per lb and had a more problems with color fade. For me the 1/2 tsp per lb works much better.

I do a lot of outdoor craft shows and farmers markets especially during the hot, sunny, summer months. So my candles are always exposed to sunlight. I do keep them under the canopy shade of my tent so they are out of direct sunlight. By the end of summer I always have some that have faded, especially blues and lavenders. But the UV at 1/2 tsp per lb has helped a lot more with the fading I used to get.

The BC stabilizer didn't work in palm at all for me, whether I used 1/4tsp or 1/2 tsp. I have better luck with the stabilizer from C&S for some reason. If I use any other stabilizer my deep blues and purples turn into an ugly blue/purple/almost black "bruise" without fail. With the C&S one it will fade after a while but I haven't seen a bruise coloring in a long time.