refund on an item already recieved

What is your refund policy? Was it something you shipped off your website? I have my return policy stated on my website. The customer can return the item in its original unopened package within a specified period. They have to pay postage for return. Then I will issue a full refund.

I would tell them no myself, they only get refund if returned unburned or used and they pay shipping. You have to be careful of people, some think they can complain and get refund while keeping product, just want a freebie in my opinion:cheesy2:

What do you do when they want to keep the item and still get full refund, including shipping

I'd tell them sorry, they would have to return the item so you could see what the problem was.

Once you see what the problem is there would be several ways to handle it ... but you need to have it back before offering any concrete alternatives.

What do you do when they want to keep the item and still get full refund, including shipping

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! You can tell this person is just trying to get a freebie!!!!

Would you go to any store and buy something and then go back and ask for your money back but still get to keep the item?? NOOOOOO!!!!

If it was returned, they paid shipping and there was nothing wrong with it, then I would refund purchase price only.

I will offer a refund for DAMAGED goods, but I ask for it to be returned (even if I have to pay the return shipping to keep them happy.)

Theres no way I'm issuing a refund for a product and letting them keep it without seeing it's actually damaged. Mistakes happen in shipping, and I do want to keep people happy so I will make that extra step if I need too. And, it needs to be obvious to me the damage wasnt their mistake.

I had a lady try to return a candle at the farmers market that had a bunch of holes stabbed in the top that looked like a pen or pencil... she said it "came like that" Uh.. no. I call BS, because nobody touches my candles but me, and nobody could have taken off the lid, stabbed it, re-lidded it, and put it back on the shelf with me standing 2 feet away, lol. I couldnt get her to officially admit it was the little kid holding her hand looking sheepish who ruined the candle, but she did realize pretty quickly I wasnt stupid and wasnt going to exchange it. Plus I told her it would still burn just fine and with one 2 hour burn it wouldnt even be a problem anymore.

If they have buyers remorse, or dont like a scent, they can return the un-used product for exchange, they have to pay shipping for that. Not my fault, you know? I wont accept returns on any B&B product unless its still sealed, unless there is something wrong with it (which luckily has not happened yet. Knock on wood)

I try to have the best customer service I can, but when its hovering around $6.00 to ship one candle, I cant be letting people walk all over my return policy- and I cant be giving them away for free.

Being an online business you can't afford to play ship n sniff with people. You are not responsible if a candle scent is not to their liking or what they should have done with their money PERIOD. That is what you make smaller sized candles for, so the investment iis not that great in case they don't like it.

As far as damages, when shipping glass I always use Fedex or UPS. If something arrives damaged then the "carrier inspector" can come out to inspect the damages if need be and I am removed from the situation. I don't want to waste money getting it back just to see it is shattered. I just resend out the merchandise and I am issued a check for the full amount plus shipping by the carrier. Even then they get exactly what they ordered no subs of size, product or scent.

Basically all sales are final, I don't make exchanges.

Edited by funkymonkey66

Dang... what my great gramma would have said sprang to mind first...

"people in hell want icewater, too!"

Not very diplomatic, I guess, but if this is a case of "buyer's remorse" with no other reasonable complaints, AND she wants to KEEP the product AND have her entire cost & shipping refunded, that's just nutz. If that's the situation, I think this is a pretty clear case of "sucks to be her."

If she is willing to pay shipping (plus a 20% restocking charge) to return an undamaged, unused product still in its original packaging, then it would be good business to refund the balance to her. Alternatively, you could offer her a small discount coupon of some sort on a future purchase as goodwill if she does not want to return the product. Other than that, follow Nancy Reagan's advice and "just say no." :D

BTW, if you do not have a CLEAR, written refund policy, THIS should be great motivation to take care of that at your earliest convenience! ;)

What do they mean by buyers remorse??? Does that mean they didn't have the money to buy it but did anyway? They didn't like the item when they received it? They felt they paid too much? Is it defective?? That needs to be addressed because defective items to be returned and refunded.. If everything is fine and no issues than I say no refund.

Well, I am not as kind in business. I offer NO REFUNDS unless the item is damaged- which rarely happens. My products are handmade and I do not resell what is returned. I have no idea if a product has been tampered with, ruined, etc... It costs money to accept returns so generously. It sounds good to the customer to have an open return policy, but from the seller's end it costs money. I state this on every single page of my website. There is no dispute about it. As a result, I have had to deal with less kooks.

DOn;t get me wrong, I have had some strange people that I have had to deal with over the years. That comes with business. However, I never had a customer want to keep the product and ask for a refund. The very idea is ridiculous. It takes a certain kind of person to ask such a thing in my opinion.

I would allow it to be shipped back as long as she hasn't burned/used it in any way. If there was no problem with the candle then shipping BOTH ways is her responsibility and shouldn't be refunded. You paid for it to go out based on her placing the order, you should not have to eat those costs just because she changed her mind.

That said, if there was an actual problem with the candle which is causing her to return it then I would refund the purchase price & shipping charges as well as paying the shipping to get it back to you just to keep her happy. In no circumstances should she get a refund AND be allowed to keep the product.

Just my 2 cents...

I should have clarified that of course if there is something wrong or defective then yes, you should take it back and pick up the tab on the entire thing.

But if it's buyers remorse or she didn't like the scent that is not your issue.

Just so we are clear on the circumstances, is she wanting to keep the product and get a refund or does she just want to return something and what is her reason?

My policy states I stand behind my product 100%. If someone wanted a refund , they have to ship the product back at their expense.

Do you have a return policy, spelled out. I think it helps to have one.