High Maintenance Dupe

aviator girl

Debra this might be a question for you since you know Starville oils.

I ordered a sample of this from JBN and it smells good but I don't have the High Maintenance candle from Tyler to compare.

I was also curious if anyone has tried the Starville one and the JBN one to compare the two?

I was told the Starrville High Maintenance is the same fo used by Tyler Candle - it's a power seller for me & everyone agrees that it smells exactly the same. I don't care for JBN supplies, so couldn't tell you if it smells the same.

Susan.

What kind of wax are you guys using HM in? I have Starville's and found that it was initally medium-strong, but burned off way too fast in my parasoy tarts. I had that problem with pretty much all of Starville's oils that I purchased. So bummed since I had heard such great things about them!

I've used several Starrville fo's in pure soy, 30/70 & 70/30 blends & all have been super strong. I'd rate every fo I've tried to be among the very best. I don't make or use tarts, but most people say they get a better throw than the average candle, so not sure why you're disappointed w/ these fo's.

Susan.

I always thought that Tyler's just did like everyone else, and re-named standard scents. I have stood at a gift shop and smelled each one and named each scent by the name that is common from suppliers. I mean "Original" is definetly Claire Burkes.

I originally used the High Maintenance from Greenleaf until they closed. I then ordered a sample of it from Taylored Concepts....it smells NOTHING like the one I had been getting from GL. I then found out that you can still get the GL High Maintenance from JBN....you just have to call and order it until they get it on the site :)

I've never smelled the original from Tyler, nor have I tried the FO from Starville, but wanted to give you another option for it in case it's the same!

• 1 month later...
I always thought that Tyler's just did like everyone else, and re-named standard scents.

I'm thinking of ordering this scent, but I'm like kyme1911: I figure it's probably not really unique enough to make a special order from Starrville and pay all over again when it's probably similar to something else I already have. This is the description from Tyler:

"A floral, woody blend combined with patchouli and vanilla with a heavy musk undertone. Very sophisticated and truly addictive. "

Are there others any of you can think of that are described that way?

Darbla, I get alot of my FO's from AH/RE, the scents were defintely ones that had sampled from them. Try reading through AH/RE's fragrance descriptions and see if any match. If I happened to go by there this weekend, I will see if I recognize it. When I was smelling them, the "Original" scent caught my attention. I read the description on the label, then on Tylers site. Then I copied it to google and AH/RE popped up. I love Google...

Could it be AH Little Black Dress? I've been wanting to try that one, and when I read this thread of course I wanted to try High Maintenance. :grin2: The description for LBD is a little more in depth, but imo the end result *could* be the same. Anyway, that's what popped into my head when I read the AH copy. :yes:

I've never found another fo that smells like High Maintenance. Everything I've ordered from Starrville has been top notch & HM is a huge hit. Some people want it cause they've bought a Tyler candle & others smell it for the 1st time & fall in love. I'm getting tired of it, but it's a unique scent that everyone seems to want & this is exact to Tyler. I've poured it in soy & will soon test in palm.

HTH - Susan.

I actually have Little Black Dress in my wax warmer right now and it is awesome!! That being said, it does not smell like HM. I love that Tyler scent.

Go ahead and order Little Black Dress it is so nice and the scent really last in my warmer.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my gosh. My boyfriend ended up flying to Tyler, TX, yesterday so guess what: I sweet talked him into making a run over to Starrville for me! I got some

High Maintenance

Midsummer Nights

Oakmoss

Holiday Pomegranate

Redneck Christmas

Christmas Traditions

Can't wait to start playing!

I sniffed one of these today. It smells like 'Angel' without the chocolate.

I so totally agree with this! To me, Diva smells just like the Angel type I have from Southern Soapers.

I was recently gifted a "Diva Set", with the freshener spray, a candle, and the laundry wash, and I'm very surprised on how VERY close it smells to SS Angel.

• 6 months later...

I finally got 'High Maintenance' in wax, and unfortunately for me it's turned out lighter than I hoped. I tried it in votives and IGI 4627 in a container. It's a fantastic scent that I and several friends love, but it just is not as strong a thrower as I would like. It is not weak; just kind of medium.

Maybe it's one of those that will get stronger after my votives cure for several weeks, but I blazed thru the container too fast to give it a chance to cure.

Edited by Darbla

• 4 weeks later...
I so totally agree with this! To me, Diva smells just like the Angel type I have from Southern Soapers.

I was recently gifted a "Diva Set", with the freshener spray, a candle, and the laundry wash, and I'm very surprised on how VERY close it smells to SS Angel.

So then it is heavy on the patch then? Because Angel is...

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this thread. I too have been looking for a dupe for Tylers Diva. A fellow shop owner sent me a small candle and the wash and I can see what all the hoopla is about. It is very addicting.

That said - I certainly don't plan to pop for a 1,500.00 opening order so I can carry Tyler - when I figure I can come pretty close on my own.

Everyone says Diva is chocolate - but I mainly smell Coconut in it. Nice blend though.

I emailed Starrville after reading these posts and they too said Tuscan Garden is what people feel smells like it (they can't say it is of course). Now I guess I have to try the HM too after reading your descriptions.

Thanks everybody !

Darn it all - would have been good to have a back-up but SSoapers is almost out of biz now too. I bought up large containers of some of my favs from them - namely Amber Glow and Black Orchid - praying that someone buys their brand and continues with it. Not looking too promising right now. Sigh

>>>Diva smells just like the Angel type I have from Southern Soapers<<<<