My baby has eczema

arw1019

So, I have barely figured out a candle but I need to learn to make a cream or lotion for eczema. My three year old was just diagnosed with it. I feel so terrible, she is scratching herself raw. She has salve that the dr gave her but I would love to make something for her. I am researching some recipes or formulas now. If anyone has one that they would not mind to share, please post. I would really appreciate it and I'm sure my little girl would too! Thanks so much

I'm so sorry for your little girl...my daughter had eczema, too.

I found that a mixture of aloe vera gel (the organic stuff from the health food store) and vitamin E helped stop the itching and quickly healed the red patches.

Here is some additional information that I hope helps:

Eczema can be caused by a number of things: sensitivities to foods, with

dairy, coffee, soy, corn, eggs, nuts and gluten being the most prevalent.

Sensitivities to fragrances in laundry and cosmetic products and harsh

detergents like sodium lauryl sulfate may exacerbate the problem. It may also be hereditary.

Cool, brief oatmeal baths may help soothe (as long as she isn't sensitive to oats), but limit these to every few days. Soaking for an extended period in hot water only dehydrates the skin. Keep the skin moisturized using a thick emollient cream. Use only unscented products or make your own. Any soap used should be mild, superfatted, unscented and used sparingly if at all.

An alternative to steroid creams may be the application of a

counter-irritant cream containing capsaicin or menthol to stop the itching. These are strong, so use very sparingly!

Oils containing high amounts of gamma linoleic acids help to heal the skin: evening primrose oil, borage seed oil, black currant seed oil are typically recommended. Omega 3 oils like fish oils and flax seed oil are also reported to help. Any of these can be applied to the skin directly, included in creams and taken internally as a supplement.

Clothes and linens should be washed in unscented soap or detergent and rinsed twice. Avoid anything with fragrance, at least for the time being. Good news: as the child grows older, the malady often clears up on its' own.

I recommend the original Eucerin cream http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16895&catid=10307. It doesn't burn or sting as most lotions seem to - add insult to injury if the skin is raw. It's very thick and sticky so what we used to do for my son is a thin layer of that followed by some Cetaphil cream (in the tub http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16818&catid=21503 ) which also doesn't sting.

I really recommend these two creams.

• 6 months later...

My granddaughters eczema cleared using my handmade soap. She can't use bubble bath or anything like that. I make her pretty unscented soap that is 75% OO and 25 % PKO. I add 2 oz of cream in place of 2 ounces of the water. My dil was amazed, the creams etc didn't work but the soap did.

My granddaughters eczema cleared using my handmade soap. She can't use bubble bath or anything like that. I make her pretty unscented soap that is 75% OO and 25 % PKO. I add 2 oz of cream in place of 2 ounces of the water. My dil was amazed, the creams etc didn't work but the soap did.

I also remember reading that OO soap would help crear up eczema (I think that person said they used extra virgin OO to make their soap,I don't know if that makes a difference)

I recommend the original Eucerin cream http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16895&catid=10307. It doesn't burn or sting as most lotions seem to - add insult to injury if the skin is raw. It's very thick and sticky so what we used to do for my son is a thin layer of that followed by some Cetaphil cream (in the tub http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16818&catid=21503 ) which also doesn't sting.

I really recommend these two creams.

This is what we used too on our son when he was little. Nothing else worked as well. I was even able to find a generic made by CVS. Same formula as Eucerin, but much cheaper.

We also only washed with Cetaphil and took the shortest baths possible. In the winter, baths were only every couple days, with just sponge baths in between. The water made his skin so angry red.

I would give a quick bath, slather him in Eucerin and then put on 100% cotton pj's . Any polyester blend made his skin worse.

Good luck. It's a long battle.

Ann M

Well, after a Dr. visit yesterday for my son, and his rash being diagnosed as eczema, (I tried everything under the sun to make this go away, but NOTHING worked)... he prescribed some kind of cream to use. Well, wouldn't you know it, Walmart Pharmacy is out of the cream and they have to order it. :mad:

So I took a chance and bought a tub of Eucerin cream. I started putting it on him yesterday afternoon, and again last night after showering.

While he's getting ready for school, he told me the cream is helping.

I looked and the eczema rash on his side and arm look SO MUCH BETTER.

So I slathered a little bit again on it, before school.

Eucerin cream was the only thing I hadn't tried. IT'S WORKING. :yay:

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad I found this thread!!:yay:

My 3 1/2 mo son was diagnosed with contact dermatitis (He's allergic to Dreft AND baby wash/lotion....sigh). Buttt, eczema runs in my family so while the worse of the allergic reaction is over he is still somewhat rashy. I have never had a problem with dry skin until I had him and now I'm miserably itchy. I am totally going to buy that cream! I'm also using Aveeno Sensitive Skin baby wash every 3 days or so with water sponge baths between then slathering both of us with colloidal oatmeal baby lotion and so far so good.

Whew! I was afraid I had done something wrong to make my little guy so miserable. And on a side note...I have found large amounts of black mold recently in my closet downstairs. I thankfully am moving to an apartment in about a month because I'm getting a divorce so the ex can deal with it :P but I'm wondering if it could be effecting our skin too?

CALENDULA!!!! Get you some calendula extract and make you a salve. I have a friend with severe eczema and psorasis and this keeps her skin clear!

I sell a Comfrey Calendula salve on my website. I have many many happy customers who use this with very good results with eczema and psoriasis.

http://goodnaturedearthling.com/catalog.htm?category=Balms%2C%20Creams%20%26%20Salves

I grow the comfrey and calendula myself, harvest the balm of gilead in the wild and use absolutely no synthetic scents, colors, preservatives or petroleum ingredients in any of my products.