Adobe Photoshop/Illustator and professional printing....

LaVida

Ok, I am thinking about getting a label or 2 printed professionally. What is the ease of doing thing w/ both Adobe programs? I'm gone through a few threads and it looks like people are having problems converting files, etc.

Does anyone get their labels printed from any companies and use these programs?

If you go to the Adobe website they have a free trial program you can try. I think its for 30 days. I tried it but let the time trial run out before I figured it out. It does take some time to learn how to use it.

Anyway-- I'm sticking with my Avery label program. You can download their free program from their site and keep it. Its not a trial program.

I can't figure out adobe for the life of me. I'm not very computer efficient to begin with, and trying to figure out how to make a template in adobe makes me insane. Lightning labels has adobe as one of their required formats, and I love lightning labels, but can't figure adobe, so I can scan my graphics in and make a darn label.

I'll watch this thread, and see of anyone jumps in with some adobe for idiots.

lol... exactly Misty. I see people have viewed this thread so I guess everyone has been hoping the same thing. I wanted to see some recent activity on this topic. I haven't even gotten the program yet (I believe it's on it's way.. I hope)...

Oh, just scrolled. Candybee are you using Avery w/ Lightning labels?

Haven't used Lightning Labels before as I make my own. I generally use standard Avery labels and their templates in my program. But mostly I customize my own labels and don't use templates at all. Helps to learn how to do it yourself when you come across labels that don't have any known templates.

I tried the free version of Adobe Photoshop and couldn't figure it out. I was hoping I would before the trial run ran out but never seemed to have the time to get back to it.

Edited by Candybee

Well, I use print artist, which works great, but to have professional labels done, requires a the file to be in an adobe format. This is where I have problems trying to format them in adobe. Label companies won't use labels done in avery or print artist.

I sent labels that I attempted in adobe once, and they called and said you don't have them in a template, and you don't have bleed. They said that my label showed up huge. So, I knew then that I was adobe challenged. LOL

For our labels I use Adobe Illustrator, since we have a label template that we use. Then just change the scent name, and save it for Microsoft Office.

Yes, it does take some knowledge to figure out how to get it to do what I wanted it to do. Youtube is a good place for information on using the programs though.

Not a cheap program by any means, but over time you would make that cost back.

Edited by Mottster

I love adobe products and use photoshop and illustrator for SO much print design stuff that I do. With that said, i have been using it for about seven years now and I STILL don't know all it has to offer. The good thing is that 99% of companies out there that work with graphic design stuff (i.e. you upload your own artwork or email it to them) can accept (and usually prefer) files created in photoshop/illustrator. You can always save it as a good ole jpg, too.

There is a line of books called Sams, teache yourself "X" in 24 hours. I hunkered down with the photoshop and illustrator books one weekend when I was first starting out. The photoshop "wow" books are great, too. Another thing I do is when I am trying to figure something out, I just goole phototoshop tutorials. For example, I am designing my daughter's birthday invites and wanted to do her name and make it look like paint dripping off of it. I googled "photoshop tutorials dripping text" and found this:

http://www.photoshop-dragon.com/Tutorials/Text_Effects/Dripping_Blood_Text.htm

(blood, paint...it will work. :cheesy2:)

Another great thing is that Adobe is always offering traveling tours. Some are free and some have a nominal cost. I have done several and even the ones you have to pay for give you SO much in return. Not only in the info presented, but all the goodies you get. I think they have them listed on their website.

Anyway, time consuming to learn and lots to learn, but the are some amazingly cool products that can do so much to make you labels and other print items pop and look very professional.

Thank you both for your response. I think I am getting the hang of it (w/out even having the official program yet )...

Mike messaged me back on youtube and he said his tutorial on Business cards would help w/ this.. I can't wait to play around with this when I get home!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mlwebco#p/u/36/BwBTKVU4pYM

VE, I love that drip text! Did you finish the logo? I'd love to see it. :0)

I've also forwarded that link to my notes so I can refer back to it... thank you for sharing.

Edited by LaVida
add

Thank you both for your response. I think I am getting the hang of it (w/out even having the official program yet )...

Mike messaged me back on youtube and he said his tutorial on Business cards would help w/ this.. I can't wait to play around with this when I get home!

I've also forwarded that link to my notes so I can refer back to it... thank you for sharing.

I am still playing with it...I will post the finished version. :-)

I was able to play around w/ Illustrator CS4.. it seems pretty easy to use and save a file to mail to a label printing company. Hopefully I will able to help someone w/ this information when the time comes.:smiley2:

In addition to being challenging to use, these professional-quality graphics programs are expensive.

There are open-source (aka FREE) software packages available that duplicate most of the features that Adobe products used to have a monopoly on. Gimp is a good package that mimics Photoshop.

• 1 month later...

Which version of Photoshop would you all recommend? I am thinking about switching from Printshop 23, so I want it easy to navigate. I won't be doing much photo editing, just creating labels, images for my website, etc. I didn't realize there were so many different versions! I am so confused as to which one to get.

Dana,

There is really only 1 version at a time of Photoshop. The current version should be CS5 (I believe it came out in the last few weeks.) There is probably no reason, you couldn't find an older version that someone is selling though on EBay or Craigslist. The only problem (you may have) with the older versions, is that as of CS2, the previous users had to uninstall that version for someone else to be able to use it. (The software goes out to the web, and verifies, that that serial number is no longer being used) and that it may be harder to find self help books at the store.

I have a copy of Photoshop 7 and CS2. You can probably do everything most of us here would need to do with an old version like 7. Most of the new stuff in CS2 - CS5 are more designed for Photographers that need to really touch up photographs and delete areas of them and such.

You should be able to find an old version like 7 for less than $50. The other option, is to find a student at a college, and get it through them. Adobe offers a student discounted version for usually < $150 for the current version.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the free trial version of elements 8 thinking it would be a design type program. It looks like it is more of a photo editing program. I don't use photos on my labels. Is there a different version that would be a design program instead of photo editing or are all the photoshop versions for photos?

Dana,

You may want to download Adobe Illustrator. That program allows you to do text, photos (although NOT with the abilities of Photoshop) and basic drawing. Realistically, even Illustrator is a pretty advanced program for most of the stuff that most of us would want to do for labeling. I believe someone may have mentioned before, downloading a free program from Avery. That program (DesignPro 5.4 I believe) is designed JUST for doing all types of labels and such.

Ok, so I better uninstall the trial version of photoshop. So now I will see if there is a trial version of Illustrator....better to find out BEFORE I purchase it, if it is what I want. I want to be able to change the text and get a crisp image. My current Printshop 23 for some reason, is not printing the text very dark. When I use that same text in word or Maestro (onlinelabels.com) it is dark and crisp, so I know it is not my printer. Also, I can't get the templates from onlinelables to work in Printshop.

Does inkscape allow you to create images to file? I can't figure that out when I go to that website, lol. Maybe it's all over my head. I need to be able to send images as well, not just for label design like avery design pro.

• 6 months later...

What do you use for keeping notes?