I want to mottle

Hi all, I know that about mottilng millions of post were written, but I don't mottle. My cats don't mottle, my candles don't mottle.

Try walking in my shoes, please. I can only buy straight paraffin with unknown MP. Or a mix of paraffin + stearin (percentage are unknown) with high MP. Or even a mix of paraffin + stearin (percentage are unknown) with unknown MP.

The first FOs are arrived from UK, I spent a lot of money, If I have to put an entire bottle of FO in wax I'd better shoot myself!! Also, I don't know how much FO can retain the wax I have.

What will you do in this case????

heeeeellllllllllllppppppppppppppppppppppppp

I mottled yesterday. It makes people stare.

Get some plain paraffin with nothing whatsoever in it. Make a small candle so you don't waste FO and try 3% FO and 3% stearic (if you have it). Report back on your results and we can refine it further.

There is no way to know in advance exactly what to do. Mottling results depend completely on your materials and can vary greatly, so some experimentation is unavoidable.

Thanks, I experimented with a little mold and an essential oil, once in straight paraffin and once in a blend paraffin/stearin.

Here in Italy it's common to say that to make candles stearin must be added in 10%-20% to paraffin, so I suppose that wax I buy is made this way.

From what I read here there's too much stearin. On monday I'll get 20 lbs of straight paraffin, so I will try again.

Thanks for all, maybe one day we will mottle together!!!!!:shocked2:

Since you have such a problem in Italy getting FO. (Oh btw can I visit, I'll bring FO's with me) :yay: Try using mineral oil, there is probably another name for it in your country but I'm sorry I don't know what else to call it. The candle will be unscented but it gives you a chance to *play* with the wax & get an idea without having to waist the FO.

Karen B

thanks Karen, if you want to come in italy I think Milano it's not the best city to visit!! it's a busy city, with a lot of traffic!!

Anyway, i forgot to say I used jojoba oil too, but maybe all that stearin kills mottling.

I can't think of an oil which is mineral.. it doesn't come to my mind what I could buy!!

Thanks!

Here in Italy it's common to say that to make candles stearin must be added in 10%-20% to paraffin, so I suppose that wax I buy is made this way.

From what I read here there's too much stearin. On monday I'll get 20 lbs of straight paraffin, so I will try again.

Yes, I thought the paraffin with stearic pre-added would be designed for smooth, opaque candles that won't mottle. We use it in mottles to help keep the oil in the candle, but for that purpose it has to be used in much smaller amounts.

It creates a better product, but you can still mottle without it if you forgot.

Parol oil helps mottling. It is similar to or maybe the same thing as mineral oil. Some countries call mineral oil, parol oil. Pharmacies usually have mineral oil. Some people take it orally as a laxative..ick! You can also get parol oil at candlemaking suppliers.

Dee