Lib Balm Tube Labels

van_yulay

Hey Guys!

I have been talking with mike at sheetlabels.com. I was talking to him about the lip balm labels and how much work they are to label them, shrink wrap and all. `He came up with an idea where the label would have perforated edge that would over lap onto the cap. So that it is tamper proof! It would tear at the perforated edge when you opened it. So no shrink wrapping anymore. He said they would come in waterproof and other choices. He ask me to ask you guys what you thought?

:yay:

I am so excited abou this one. I had a lady open a lip balm at a fair, try it and put it back. I almost hit the floor with my mouth open.. Can you believe it.

Yes this is a great idea. I just ordered my labels and they have the top covered just like those ones I have not got them as of yet but I thought that they would be good idea although I do have shrink ones but I like this better

Thats not exactly a new idea. At least there are lip balm shrink wraps that already have the perferated part so that the tube is protected until you twist the top and break the perferations. He is expanding on that idea to make it a label instead.

Initially it sounds like a good idea but I am wondering about how he can do that. Seems to me they would have to be made to order and would probably be pricey. I don't see how he could make plain sheet labels that you can print yourself. So that means it won't help the casual lip balm maker or the small biz that only makes a few at a time.

• 1 year later...
I had a lady open a lip balm at a fair, try it and put it back. I almost hit the floor with my mouth open.. Can you believe it.

Nope - I had a lady's boyfriend almost take a bite out of a bar of soap thinking it was a piece of fudge. I bet he would have thought that it was the worst tasting fudge ever. :laugh2:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the idea in theory, but I also like the shrink wrap because it protects my labels so the graphics and text stay pretty and visable. (I use the T-perf ones)

Still, on laser printed waterproof or glossy.... yea I'd at least give them a try. They'd have to go all the way around my oval tubes, though.

. I don't see how he could make plain sheet labels that you can print yourself. So that means it won't help the casual lip balm maker or the small biz that only makes a few at a time.

Why not? As long as there is a template then it shouldn't be a problem.

I requested/received samples from onlinelabels.com actually. They are really cool, and I love the idea.....BUT I haven't applied any to tubes yet. LOL MY only concern/what I'm worried about is getting them on there PERFECTLY straight which of course I try to do already, but I'm worried about "what if you don't line up the perf just right? Then again, if you look at "pro" lip balms like Burt's, Blistex, etc. they all seem to do about the same as the perf label vs. shrink wrap as "protection."

I had issues with the perforated shrink wrap- I kept peeling more off than just where it was perforated. It seems these wouldn't have that issue. BUT- I am a big dork most of the time, so others probably don't have the same issue. lol

I love the idea of that label board thingy! It seems like it would be pretty easy to make one too- I may have to play around with it. :)

To apply straight is a challenge. Someone has a board-thingie with lines on it to help with that. Oh here it is: http://www.soapies-supplies.com/shop/soapies-simple-labeler.html

Simple, but effective. Make your own, if you wish.

Thanks, CareBear. My internet is HORRIBLE so I can't watch videos but someone on another forum was asking about getting oval labels straight so I was able to pass the link on that you posted, and she was THRILLED with whatever the link's solution was! :)

I had issues with the perforated shrink wrap- I kept peeling more off than just where it was perforated. It seems these wouldn't have that issue. BUT- I am a big dork most of the time, so others probably don't have the same issue. lol

I love the idea of that label board thingy! It seems like it would be pretty easy to make one too- I may have to play around with it. :)

My shrink wrap comes off more than just where it's perforated too....even when I try to be "careful," it doesn't tear evenly so it's NOT just you! :) And I figure if that happens when I'M being careful, what about my customers where they just rip at it like normal?!

So I went ahead and printed lip balm labels (from onlinelabels). It's easier to put them on straight then I thought, and I still love the idea, BUT the "tab" that would be ripped off is bigger than I'd like.....I used colored lip balm lids to distinguish flavors and the "tab" covers almost 1/2 of the lid....it just kind of "looks funny." I don't know how to post pics on here...plus, I have "bad internet" so can't really view pics, upload them, etc. I did a test and cut one of the labels so that it had less of that perforated tab, and it looked a LOT better to me.

I did a search on online labels to see if they offered any other "cuts," but they don't....so I don't know if the other company proposed here would take that under consideration? Depending on price, label mediums, and the cut, I'd be interested....not sure I want to order from onlinelabels and cut every pre-cut label. LOL Might as well shrink wrap, I think. Ideally, (I THINK) it would be better to have the "tab" not be a solid piece that wraps all the way around....but maybe more like two oval shaped tabs that would end up on either side of the lip balm cap...

But at the very least....a SHORTER tab....like this example is great.....Hmmm, not sure I can set up my label this way, but I love the "professional" balms that say things on the tab like this picture shows: "twist cap to open"

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/lips-lip-care/res-q-lip-balm-spf-15.html

I was actually drawn to this type of label over shrink wrapping because honestly, from all that I could think of in my experience, all the "big guys" label their balms this way so it's more "expected" by the average consumer. Now...I don't strive to be like the big guys.....BUT, packaging.....marketing....come on, you know they've done tons of research, etc. to get that down so why not follow their lead on THAT? :) just my thoughts!

Okay, I SO wish you could "edit" your own posts! LOL I just re-read the beginning of the thread and it looks like sheetlabels' proposed lip balm label would only have 1/16th of an inch of "seal," that almost seems like TOO little. When I cut down the online label version, I ended up with an 1/8" whereas, their label (without my tweaking has 3/8th of an inch of overlap for the seal.)

Depending on HOW sticky the sheetslabel was a 16th might work, but it would have to really stick/be solid, and the perforation would have to be really good so it would tear perfectly. I'd be TOTALLY interested though depending on price and label mediums available!

Yeah, it looks like this thread was started beginning of 2010. I had emailed sheetlabels, and they claimed to have no idea what I was talking about with perforated lip balm labels. Ho hum.

I ordered samples from Onlinelabels.com, so we'll see how I do with them. So dumb question- when you cut the tab on the labels to shorter, did you use scissors or a paper cutter? I have a good paper cutter with a laser guide, and I cut a lot of my own non-label stuff (such as make my own hang tags). So I probably wouldn't mind cutting the tab a little shorter. Also, did you use a template to print yours? I usually use MS Publisher for my labels. I downloaded their MS Word template, but it didn't load into Word for me (tried 2003, 2007 and 2010). I guess I am going to have to spend some time measuring and making a custom template in Publisher.

Ah, I have a tendency not to look at dates....thanks for pointing that out, bravo. LOL As far as online labels, I ordered some "samples" to begin with so since it was one sheet, I just cut it with scissors, BUT I'll be cutting them with a paper cutter in the future if I can't find some pre-cut with shorter tabs. As far as the template, online labels, gives you "specs"/details as far as margins, etc. for all of their labels. I don't use MS publisher....and have never been able to get the "templates" to download from online labels SO........I use Corel Draw which is complicated to learn, but much more "precise" when creating labels so I was able to just input all of the different figures...didn't take very long at all. I have MS publisher, but never tried to do labels with it so I'm not sure if they have a section for you to "customize" a label and just enter in particular figures. Of course, when you DO make a template and print....you'll have to know your printer to pay attention on how to load it with the perforation depending on how you want your label to work. :)

I'd LOVE to get smaller tabs so I emailed onlinelabels about this today (probably will get a standard shutdown response but you never know.) I may ALSO email sheetlabels. . .maybe if they got enough interest/ requests. I've never used sheetlabels, but I have to say onlinelabels has a LOT of different label mediums, lots of different pre-cut sizes, fast shipping, good customer service, AND their labels STICK well to items. I do lotions....and my biggest aggravation with other companies' label adhesive is the sides of the label peel up...even after being pressed down 10x!