Opinions on burn

This was after 15 burns of approximately 4 hrs each. I used EZ soy, pumpkin cheesecake FO and an HTP 1212 wick in the 10 oz pumpkin jar. Sorry the pic is a little blurry.

Thanks Melly for the instructions on how to post a picture :)

post-174-139458376215_thumb.jpg

post-174-139458376217_thumb.jpg

I know I am going against the grain here, but I think you need to wick up. Or wick down and double wick. I don't think that hang up will catch up, it is too far up the sides. It is still an OK burn, but if you want a clean jar you are gonna have done one or the other.

HTH...and JMO!

Dat

I know I am going against the grain here, but I think you need to wick up. Or wick down and double wick. I don't think that hang up will catch up, it is too far up the sides. It is still an OK burn, but if you want a clean jar you are gonna have done one or the other.

HTH...and JMO!

Dat

I have a sample of the monster HTP 1312 that I can try. I'd prefer to use one wick if I can. I appreciate your help :)

You could try a 1312 or even another type wick all together. 1312s are kind of big and probably would take all that hang up down but they might be too big too. I've used them before and when I found a 1212 to be a tad to small, the 1312's often times were too large. :( But this is my experience too and yours could be different so I'd give it a try. Its hard for me to tell how far up the jar your hang up is, how tall the jar is and how much wax you actually have left in the jar. That's why I said it might catch up and I am also not familiar with this jar. What's the diameter of that jar? I use a jar that has a 3 inch diameter and find that RRD 55 works great as does a 60 c and 62c and CD 20 &22. Also from what I can tell of the jar from the picture, I think it looks to small to dw. It's not that I'm against dw'ing, but I think some jars just don't look right dw'd. Overall, I think its a good burn. ;) How's the throw?

I have a sample of the monster HTP 1312 that I can try. I'd prefer to use one wick if I can. I appreciate your help :)

:cool: aaahhhhh TY for not being upset with my post. I figured you wanted honest opinions since you asked. I am not a wick expert. I have only used zinc wicks in containers. and luckily my supplier gives great advice. I double wick anything over 3 1/2 wide. It works great. It is not any more difficult than single wicks i my opinion. My customers love the doubles. They swear it gives out "more" scent. I am not convinced, but hey, if it makes them happy then I'll double wick away. All my containers burn down clean nothing left on the jar.

Good Luck

Dat

:cool: aaahhhhh TY for not being upset with my post. I figured you wanted honest opinions since you asked. I am not a wick expert. I have only used zinc wicks in containers. and luckily my supplier gives great advice. I double wick anything over 3 1/2 wide. It works great. It is not any more difficult than single wicks i my opinion. My customers love the doubles. They swear it gives out "more" scent. I am not convinced, but hey, if it makes them happy then I'll double wick away. All my containers burn down clean nothing left on the jar.

Good Luck

Dat

I don't think there was anything you said that was wrong. You weren't at all rude IMO. :) You gave your opinion and I thought it was an honest one. All of our opinions aren't going to always be in agreement and I for one, want to hear if someone disagrees and why; I think its healthy and allows for discussion and learning. Sometimes, too its not that one person in necessarily right, and one person is necessarily wrong; its a difference of opinion based on experience. I think that anything with soy over 3 inches wide should be dw - but at 3 inches, like my jars, to me its a personal choice and dependant upon your jar - i.e., mine don't look right if I dw so I won't use certain FOs since I can't go higher on my size wicks and won't dw. For me, its a cosmetic issue.

For those that couldn't see the picture, it really wasn't a bad burn, especially when you consider that it was her first. Shannon if you deleted it, I hope you aren't ashamed of it, you did a great job!! There was slight hang-up, but not like the candle tunneled either. From the picture is was hard to tell how big the jar was and how much wax was left, etc. I think its very possible for Shannon to find a wick that will give a very clean burn. I think she's really close. :)

Good question, I have no idea where the pic went! I tried a web hosting site for the first time, so that is probably what happened. I'll attach the pic again. The opening of the jar is about 2-1/2 inches but the diameter is about 4 inches, so I didn't think double wicking would work with that small of an opening.

You guys have all gone blind from......lol! I see the pic just fine :)

As for the wick, I tend to agree a bit with 'Dat'. I use a CD-10 in mine and get no hang up at all, but also no soot either. It will depend a bit on your wax and wick type as to your results. Having said that, the hangup you have isn't bad at all. If it burns good and doesn't smoke or soot, you could call it good, but I would still test again with a larger wick, or a different type. HTH.

I really appreciate all of your opinions :) While this burn isn't bad, it's not as good as it could be so I will continue testing with different wick sizes and types and will give the double wicking a try. Again, thank you for all the help!

I don't think the burn is THAT bad. Sure, it could be a little better but it could be WAY worse. Did I read that this was the first wick you tried? If so, pretty dang good for the first wick attempt!!

I don't think the burn is THAT bad. Sure, it could be a little better but it could be WAY worse. Did I read that this was the first wick you tried? If so, pretty dang good for the first wick attempt!!

Thank you, my point exactly!! :) And I can understand wanting to get a better burn.

Shannon, IMO with the biggest part of your jar being 4 inches in diameter, you really need 2 wicks for that area to be able to get a completely clean burn. Anything over 3 inches with soy should be dw'd. But like you said, that's hard with a 2 1/2 inch opening. :confused: However, with the largest part of the jar being 4 inches, you've really gotton a nice burn with just one 1 wick. ;)