Overdipping A Decal On A Pillar

I'm stuck....I made a picture decal and put it on a pillar (4625 wax) question, do I over dip using the same wax??? Is it a case of in very quickly and out and into water right away??? Sure need some input on this one in the worst way. I'm making Christmas gifts for the family (if it works) One more for ya, when I over dip do I submerse the candle, top and all, or just up to the top????

Ok-I will try & help ya here:) Im not familiar with the type of wax you are using but......I do decals on candles & usually I will use Future Floor Wax as a glaze, if though I want to overdip the decal this is what I do..... 1st be very sure that ALL the air bubbles under the decal are removed or else they will show up when you overdip. I use both 138mp wax & a 151mp wax for the dip-no additives. I heat the wax to about 160 (hotter, and the decal will melt, trust me on this one!) and in one smooth dip put the candle in and then remove. I will warn ya-this is tricky to try & get an overdip with no "runs" -so ya might want to try on a practice candle first. HTH & good luck!

OK Tucker.....I used decals years ago. I used straight paraffin....no additives.....heated to 200. Dip in and pull out slowly. Smooth the decal with your fingers. Let it cool a few minutes then put it in and pull it out just a quarter of an inch and then very quickly pull it out in one motion...shake a little to get off the drips and the quickly into cool water. It will take some practice.....so try it on a blank first. I will try to help you. Donita

Well, no picture for sure, I made a hellova mess out of my first try. Back to the drawing board I guess. Who said candle makin was easy??????

I think they ought to offer a course in colleges. (4yr degree would have to apply it can take that long full time to figure things out) LOL

Good luck Tucker. I won't attempt this tech. Please keep us informed of your progress.

MY DIPPING DISASTER. Well, first off, I guess the decal paper I bought must have been ten years old. Instead of soaking for 30 or 45 seconds it took 7 minutes for it to release from the backing. When I dipped, I had runs all over the place, made one hell of a mess out of a good pillar. Tried the heat gun and then really messed it up. About ready to give up......No, I'm gonna keep trying. hell, "it's only wax"

Tucker.....don't practice on a candle.......use a chunk of wax......practice dipping and you won't freak out if you get drips.....you can still use that piece of wax....it takes technique to become a good "dipper"......I think it is the way you hold your tongue too....LOL......I know that when I am dipping a candle I worry about what is happening to ruin it.....but if it is just a chunk of wax it doesn't matter and you can watch what is going on and correct it next time........practice makes perfect......as our mothers always told us. Donita

Just my experience, but I found that the cooler the wax is, the more runs I got, depending on which paraffin your using, you might have to play with the temp. Donita had an excellent suggestion. This is not the easiest technique, but keep it up & when you get it, show us your masterpieces!