Do you wash your jars before pouring?

I've never seen a need to wash my new jars, but am wondering about the ones I have now. I haven't been able to get the warning labels to stick on the bottoms of the jars and have had a few wicks pull loose from the wick stickum lately. The first time I had trouble with labels, I thought it was because the jars were cold (I store them in an outside storage unit), so I brought several cases in the house and let them sit for a couple of weeks and tried again--still the labels popped right off.

So last night I tried washing 4 cases of jars and as soon as they dried, the labels stuck right on them. I just wondered if other people are finding this necessary? I can't see any kind of film on the jars.

TIA,

Jane

I was for a while, but only because I wanted them to look all nice - but then they get fingerprints all over lol. I'm getting ready for a fair, and don't have time to, so I'm just wiping them out before I wick them. I don't know if it's really necessary, unless your jars are really dirty or something.

...I wondered if it was because it was a little cooler, but it's still in the 60s here, so I can't believe it's because of the cold weather--plus the jars have been stored in the house for at least 2 weeks where the temp never gets below 68. I'm dumbfounded!

Jane

I don't wash mine because they are capped when I get them. What I do do is make sure to wipe the outside of the jar wath a terry towel and in a warm room, apply my labels. The basement is too cold unless I've fired the wood burner for 3 hours before pouring. But it has to be in the low 40's before I'll do that.

Funny you ask that question.

Let me tell you how I stumbled upon something that greatly reduced the wet-spots in soy containers. I am a smoker. Yes, a loser smoker. I had a bunch of jars out on my pouring table. Right from the box, clean~ so I thought. I was procrastinating on doing this order for one of my wholesale accounts so they sat there for a few days. So, I washed them because I didn't want any chance of them stinking like cigarettes. I am a freak about this because thats not a reputation I want to give myself as a business woman.

So I wicked them up and poured them. Cooled them off and slapped the caps on. Not ONE damn wet spot to be found. I am not talking about 2 cases candles, its more like 12 cases. So, if you using J-223, J-50 or soy~ you might want to consider this for appearance sake.

I passed this on to a few of my soy girlies... they said it works like a dream.

Let me tell you how I stumbled upon something that greatly reduced the wet-spots in soy containers. I am a smoker. Yes, a loser smoker. I had a bunch of jars out on my pouring table. Right from the box, clean~ so I thought. I was procrastinating on doing this order for one of my wholesale accounts so they sat there for a few days. So, I washed them because I didn't want any chance of them stinking like cigarettes. I am a freak about this because thats not a reputation I want to give myself as a business woman.

So I wicked them up and poured them. Cooled them off and slapped the caps on. Not ONE damn wet spot to be found. I am not talking about 2 cases candles, its more like 12 cases. So, if you using J-223, J-50 or soy~ you might want to consider this for appearance sake.

I'm a loser smoker too...and so's my DH...I do get some wet spots, so will definitely have to try this!! :yay:

I'm a smoker too, though not a loser one. You're right, it really helps the candlemaking. Plus it's one more thing you can light on fire. All in all, I recommend it but maybe not while opening bottles of low flash point FO.

This is me in the morning, LOL

lastcat.jpg

Love that morning smoker cartoon...I think I must kill off a half a pack while lingering over 2-3 cups of tea, trying to shake the cloudy remnants of my arthritis meds....this is a ritual for me.

Anyway, re: the jar washing....When you take a jar out of the case, did you ever notice a soft-ish, oil-like feel to it? During the MFG. process, a glaze is sprayed on the jars. The reason: FINGERPRINTS! They don't want fingerprints on the glassware during packaging, or unpacking and stocking at the stores, the glaze prevents the prints.

It rinses off with water. I am afraid that it will have an effect on my candles and labels, and sometimes when I haven't rinsed them, I have trouble getting the wick to fasten securely.

For this reason, I DO rinse my jars.

Thanks very much for the tip, Teribecause I'm a smoker too but get this: I don't smoke when I make candles in my basement. That is a totally non smoking area of my house! LOL! Actually, I working on weaning myself off the ciggies enough to quit! I'm down a pack a day when a year agoi I was smoking two packs a day!

But Whatever work!

Thanks again! It's more incentive to surrender to quiting!;)

I was finding that the wicks would not stick so I fill my dishwasher up with jars and run it thru the rinse cycle. I think this is faster then wiping each individual jar because I can be doing something else while they are in the dishwasher. I think I get about 50 jars in there at one time. I know I may be using too much water but it works. When I put them back in the boxes I turn them upside down so dirt or dust doesn't get in them.

In the beginning I didn't wash my jars but then I got a couple that looked dirty so I started washing them. I thought that it helped reduce the wet spots some too but then I thought that it was all in my head. haha. Good to hear I am not completely crazy (not yet anyway)

...for all your responses!! In 7 years of candlemaking, I've never had to wash my jars from this supplier--but I did hand-wash 4 cases night before last, poured them last night, and they look beautiful this morning!!

So last night I filled my dishwasher with jars, then put in another load this morning before leaving for work. But it's good to hear I can just use the rinse cycle for this--I "wasted" dishwasher detergent because I was afraid there might be a film that just hot water wouldn't dissolve.

This seems like an unnecessary pain in the ____, but I guess I'd better do it--it's sure much less trouble than heat gunning hundreds of candles--which, by the way, didn't completely work! It lessened the frosted appearance, but some of it came right back after the candles set back up.

Thanks again,

Jane