liability Ins. w/installment pmts.

kyme1911

Hi, I know there are a bunch of threads about Product Liability Ins, I have read them. I live in Texas, and I am searching for a Insurance company that I can pay a deposit and make payments on. Indie Beauty sounds great but $545 is alot to come up with at one time. Thanks in advance.

Kyme

Try companies like Travelers, The Hartford or Allied Insurance. I used to work for a commercial insurance broker as an account manager and I wrote a few liability policies for local candle shops. All of those companies should allow for a small deposit and monthly billing. Make sure you push for what YOU want, some companies will play like they can't do monthly payments but you say you're walking and they'll meet your requirements to get the business. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give an update incase anyone ever did a search and this thread came up...

Mark Denny now is the contact at Tedford, he called me today to let me know that a policy through America First is now 1100.00. He said to them "wait a minute we've been selling this policy for 1/2 that."

The underwritter for America First said they had a price increase.

Mark suggested that I go through Indie Beauty Network.

I'll just have to figure out how to come up with it all at once. :(

Kyme

I just wanted to give an update incase anyone ever did a search and this thread came up...

Mark Denny now is the contact at Tedford, he called me today to let me know that a policy through America First is now 1100.00. He said to them "wait a minute we've been selling this policy for 1/2 that."

The underwritter for America First said they had a price increase.

Mark suggested that I go through Indie Beauty Network.

I'll just have to figure out how to come up with it all at once. :(

Kyme

What a crock. Okay, increase. But 100% increase? That's a bit drastic. Have they had to pay out a bunch of policies lately?

~Julia

I find that VERY funny because i just renewed December 14th and at the same rate of 500 a year. My policy is actually written for a cost of 310/yr but they won't write a policy for anything less than 500 a year so I pay the extra because even then it is cheaper.

I sure wish someone new to candle making with no past history of product liablity Ins coverage and just starting out would call and see what quote they get...It would sure stink if it was just me. :confused:

Kyme

• 1 month later...
I sure wish someone new to candle making with no past history of product liablity Ins coverage and just starting out would call and see what quote they get...It would sure stink if it was just me. :confused:

Kyme

I just saw this thread and will call next week if you want me to. Seems like the state would not matter since the company is on OK.

Edited by CandleMama6

I just saw this thread and will call next week if you want me to. Seems like the state would not matter since the company is on OK.

Actually, I think it had more to do with changes in their requirements for new policies. Atleast thats the way the agent explained it.

Kyme

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if my insurance agent would handle policies outside of MS but it is worth checking out. I have a $1,000,000.00 Liability policy with them. I paid $275 down and then I pay $140 per quarter for three quarters. I think it totals up to $675 without the financing fee. HOWEVER, this product liability policy is for a food business. I am not sure if a candle business would run more or less.

Anyhow, call them and see what they have to say. They are all VERY nice to work with.

http://www.firstsouthins.com/

Tell them that Adam Grace sent you. I won't get anything for sending you but they've been so great for me and I'd like them to know I'm trying to repay the favor :cheesy2:.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if my insurance agent would handle policies outside of MS but it is worth checking out. I have a $1,000,000.00 Liability policy with them. I paid $275 down and then I pay $140 per quarter for three quarters. I think it totals up to $675 without the financing fee. HOWEVER, this product liability policy is for a food business. I am not sure if a candle business would run more or less.

Anyhow, call them and see what they have to say. They are all VERY nice to work with.

http://www.firstsouthins.com/

Tell them that Adam Grace sent you. I won't get anything for sending you but they've been so great for me and I'd like them to know I'm trying to repay the favor :cheesy2:.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Adam, I filled out the quote form so we shall see what they come up with, Thanks. It is always good to shop around.

Kyme

Adam, I filled out the quote form so we shall see what they come up with, Thanks. It is always good to shop around.

Kyme

I really hope they are able to help you out. They were the only people I even got a quote from.

I pulled out my papers and this is how everything broke down:

Insurance Premium- $500

Taxes- $125.50

Broker Fees- $50 (that is right, the insurance agent only made $50 for writing this policy... that really surprised me.)

Finance Fee -12.23

So, I paid $275.00 down (which was more than they required, I think) and then I pay three installments of $137.41. I *THINK* you can split this into monthly payments... I just prefer quarterly so I don't have to worry about it.

Anyhow, HTH.

Yeah, I make payments on my $500.00. They break it up to $90.00 a month plus $7.00 because I don't pay it all at once. I usually pay half one month and the balance the next. My agent is great and works with me and is local. I have never had to pay anyother fees other than the $7.00 which is standard anyway. I would shop around..

• 2 weeks later...
I forgot to mention that the policy I get is only $500 for the actual insurance. However, I had to pay quite a bit in taxes. Not sure if it is just a Mississippi thing but I think it was somewhere in the range of $130 in taxes.

I spoke with someone from First South today very nice fellow. This is what he told me I would be getting.

That would be for

2M General Aggregate

1M Products/Completed

1M Personal Injury/Advertising Injury

1M Each Occurrence Limit

50,000 Damage to Premises Rented to you

5,000 Medical Payments

Told me it would run me about $600-$800 a year he's checking with some other companies they write with. I don't know anything about this insurance but it does say it includes damage to premises rented to me & I told him I make my products from home. Does this sound reasonable & do you see anything I really wouldn't need?