what are your best sellers?

dwarfie

do you find candles that are more ordinary looking sell better than something that's different? i figured people would be looking for something that's different so i did up some rusty cans, snowballs, chunk candles and a couple of others for a craft fair but people didn't seem to be very interested at all.

so what are your best sellers?

Disappointing isn't it when you strive to be creative and give them something different and it doesn't sell well.

Some people I suppose just prefer "safe".

Our plain unscented palm Christmas pillars have sold really well.

They are our cheapest pillar though.

In general pillars don't seem to fly off the table but the Christmas ones have kept us busy this year.

Our jelly jars with palm container wax have been the LEAST popular. People think they are jam!

We're finding it hard to educate people as to what palm container candles are. They know soy so prefer that it seems.

Our tin tie bags of melts are probably one of our most popular sellers.

We do a mini tart size and there are 20 in a bag for $10.

Pretty good value really and we still make a decent profit.

Our grungied Christmas tins were slow to take off but they too are doing well now and that's satisfying because there is a fair amount of work that goes into those!

Tracy

We only sell jelly jars - 8 oz. Seemed like the simplest - it's not too much of the same fragrance for most people - it's very affordable - we sell them for $6.99 - we make a decent profit and perfect under $10 gifts. We've done shows for 4 years - only the last 2 of those with soy candles - but we've learned that the less selection you have to offer the more you sell. I know that sounds crazy but people will actually talk themselves out of buying anything if you offer too many styles and sizes. I promise I have seen that more than I ever want to remember. KISS - is the best method in any business. Keep It Simple Superhero! (supposed to be stupid but my 8 grade teacher said that was just rude... and I agree!)

I've discontinued the hex jars in favor of straight sided jars and am selling the hex jars at 50% off. I think that's why I'm selling so many of them right now! I did have a great (well, I thought) idea back in the summer. I bought a silicone mold to make tiny Christmas cookie melts, scented them with Oatmeal Raisin with raisin wax embeds, Snickerdoodle (topped with real cinnamon), Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter, Sugar Cookie and Gingerbread men. I put 4 of each (2 gingerbread) in the 8 oz tins and decorated the tins with holiday scrapbook paper I then sprayed with fixative. I thought it was the most adorable idea ever - miniature, meltable Christmas cookies - and the people I told lavished heaps of praise upon me for my creativity :laugh2:

I've sold one, and it was 5 months ago at a Christmas in July sale. :angry2:

I also filled gold organza drawstring pouches with snowflake and pinecone melts, in C&S "Winter Wonderland", and haven't sold any. Maybe it's my area?

We also packaged tiny christmas tree and snowmen melts in organza bags - some were in holiday coffee cups, some were just bagged. We haven't sold many.

As usual, our melts and votives sell well. Our jars (8 oz apothecary with handle) have sold better this year than any other year, due to repeat customers. If they are new customers, they are buying melts and votives to test the scents.

We made 42 gift baskets this year and still have approximately 10 left. Those usually do well at the home shows - not so well at the craft shows. The remainder were put in two shops and if they don't sell, we will just take apart and return the stock.

Over the years I have used many different types of jars. I won't even begin to list them. For the past 3 years I have been using the shouldered jelly jars with pewter lids from Fillmore...and their 8 oz. Madison jar with the silver lids. I think I FINALLY hit on the jars that people like.

I make votives and tarts...special orders only. I used to pour votives in all of the fragrances that I have and didn't sell very many at all. Same with the tarts.

Last year I tested the palm pillar wax from Candlewic. I LOVED the look and thought customers would want to buy. Nope...I sold 1 at my Christmas Open House last year. I donated one to our local library for a silent auction. I put them out again this year at my Christmas Open House. I had a sign saying gotta move these out...1/2 price sale. I sold 1 to my daughter.......lol. Everyone commented about how pretty they looked and asked questions about palm wax but no one bought.

I've fooled around making regular pillars but never was satisfied with them enough to offer them for sale. Funny...last year 2 days before Christmas my SIL called me and asked if I could make 12 dark blue pillars about 8" high for some type of display she wanted for Christmas Eve. Of course I told her no....it would have been a nice little chunk of change. Now if she would have asked me a couple of months before I would have had time to test etc. People think just because you pour containers you can make anything just like that.

By far the 8 ounce JJ and tarts every now and then.

I did some Christmas jars a while back.They were about 12 ounces.People asked what price they were.I said $8.00.They walked off.That was the end of that.

I tried corn cob air fresheners.No sales there either.I thought cute idea but no one else did.

The pumpkin jars sold.People thought they were cute.So next year I am going to try the Christmas Tree jar. I think it is cuter than the pumpkin but Christmas scents never sell for me. I have no idea what fragrances to use for the Christmas Tree. Do you think Cucumber Melon???? :laugh2:

Every year I think I am going to add something more creative but someting comes up and I have a emergency or something. This year like the last 3 years I plan on starting in July.I said for years I want to make the firestarters but never have. I know people will ask what they are??? Then likely walk away.I can at least say I tried. :rolleyes2

LynnS

I had to laugh about people thinking your candles were jam. I did a craft show and had jams there, SEALD of course and caught a lady opening all of them and sniffing! She said she though they were jam scented candles....

:)

Disappointing isn't it when you strive to be creative and give them something different and it doesn't sell well.

Some people I suppose just prefer "safe".

Our plain unscented palm Christmas pillars have sold really well.

They are our cheapest pillar though.

In general pillars don't seem to fly off the table but the Christmas ones have kept us busy this year.

Our jelly jars with palm container wax have been the LEAST popular. People think they are jam!

We're finding it hard to educate people as to what palm container candles are. They know soy so prefer that it seems.

Our tin tie bags of melts are probably one of our most popular sellers.

We do a mini tart size and there are 20 in a bag for $10.

Pretty good value really and we still make a decent profit.

Our grungied Christmas tins were slow to take off but they too are doing well now and that's satisfying because there is a fair amount of work that goes into those!

Tracy

>>>caught a lady opening all of them and sniffing! She said she though they were jam scented candles....>>>

lol!! See, there you go. It's just a different bunch over here.

Now that we've introduced the new jars, that don't look so much like jam jars, people are buying them!

Tracy