Rock Crystal Potpourri

CandleChic

Ok..another and I have searched it!!!

Anyone make the rock crystals and sell them well? I've done the incense and they didn't go over at all.

I saw where you use DPG and ya didn't. Body safe dyes and some say it dosen't matter. I really don't wanna make these myself.

JBN sells them if I decide to go with them.

And what is Solar salts from Lowes? Ours may not have them..it don't ice up here much.

TIA,

Linda

Ok..another and I have searched it!!!

Anyone make the rock crystals and sell them well? I've done the incense and they didn't go over at all.

I saw where you use DPG and ya didn't. Body safe dyes and some say it dosen't matter. I really don't wanna make these myself.

JBN sells them if I decide to go with them.

And what is Solar salts from Lowes? Ours may not have them..it don't ice up here much.

TIA,

Linda

I didn't know Lowes carries Solar Salt. Bought some rock salt last night for our fore-casted snow. Wonder what the difference is and what part of the store sell the Solar stuff? I have tried scenting salt crystals with no luck but others say they work. Again you'll never get all the same answer.

Ok..got crystals in and made 2 lbs.

1lb. I colored orange with food color with rubbing alcholol mixed and when it dried,misted with spray bottle DPG and FO together per JBNature's instructions..it is drying and smells good. 1/2 of each.

(Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper)

2nd lb. I put in ziplock baggie,added 2 drops red candle dye(have searched,some say use,some say don't) and put 8-10 drops of FO and zipped and then squished around...it colored well and smells good and am waiting for it to dry. So far,I don't see why one would work better than the other.

(Pink Sugar)

In fact,the 2nd way is quicker and takes less steps and time and I'll probably do it that way...I MAY add a little DPG to bag to make the dye a little thinner,but don't think it would matter.

It all mixed the same way. The first way also uses up a lot more liquid than I would care to waste and dab up...2nd was drier and coated well to...as humid as it is here in South Tx,I rather do the dryer way.

I didn't measure anything..just as long as it coated well.

Also the first way is a bit shinier and I do the western,rustic look,so I like the dry look better.

So..those are my results and would like to hear from others who make these:)

Edited by CandleChic

We have had mixed success with the crystal potpourri. When we were on the west coast in Perth it actually sold really well for us, however so far here on the East coast back in Sydney it just doesnt seem to move.

May be the time of year as it summer here, so it may just sell much better in winter.

We used to mix out rock salt with colour and scent and then lay out on a tray and dry with a hair dryer before we had our heat gun. Now we would use the heat gun to dry and its very quick.

We used to package in small organza bags and sell for $1.50 / bag or 4 for $5.00. Organza no longer fits in with our look, so we will need to think of a different style of packaging if we are going to continue with it next season.

Organza no longer fits in with our look, so we will need to think of a different style of packaging if we are going to continue with it next season.

For the prim/country look try to find some very inexpensive and very open weaved burlap. Use jute instead of ribbon for the closure. Should fit in nicely - and you won't have to use dye, either.

I am hoping they sell..hubby is wanting to take them and sell them tomorrow,but I need pics for etsy. I hope they do well. They may not here in south Tx either. I couldn't sell incense at all. But we have changed our packaging and look and it is wonderful and I sell more than I ever did in years past. We have the western look going with the most wanted poster labels using square mason jars tied with muslin and leather...so I put the rocks in the square jars with a black lid(rusty for our wicked candles) and tied with burlap and leather..added the poster labels and a gold miner and call them Nuggets. Looks cute,so I hope they sell..thinking of 7.00..1 lb fit in those square mason jars to,lol.

I thought of drying them with the heat gun..Pink Sugar..had to redo..maybe too much red dye..now I think the food coloring dries faster than the candle dye.

So..the heat gun won't make the scent go away quicker? I figured if I heated them the scent may fade.

How are you guys coloring and scenting yours? I finally just stuck them in a bag with food color and fo and squished!!!

Edited by CandleChic

I ordered some from Salt Works...got the colassal ones. Made me a rock potpourri bowl with christmas lights and it's gorgeous. The small lights heat up the rocks and release the scent....the led lights don't heat up but they're prettier. I know they wouldn't sell down here so I just made some for me and Bobbie.

I used to do the same thing with jars and potpourri. Those big pumpkin jars worked the best.

I think what you call burlap is what we call hessian here?

Only problem with that is it seems to have a smell all of it's own which doesn't smell nice. Usually we find hessian in the gardening section of hardware stores here. Perhaps if I washed it really well it wouldn't pong as much.

Tracy

I bought some Solar Salt but never got around to trying these. Someone had told me that you make them the same way you do Aroma Beads. I like the idea with the bowl and Christmas lights though. I bet they turned out beautiful. Anyone have any pictures they would be willing to share??

For those of you who are going to sell the crystal potpourri, are you selling small bottles of the FO along with the potpourri or are you selling the potpourri alone? I found a few places that sell it over the net, but they are selling small bottles of the FO along with the crystal potpourri so that you can freshen it up as it starts to loose the scent. It was at this point I decided not to try and sell these, just in case they did not go over. I'm just wondering what others are doing.

Debbie

This is what I would like to do.....sell the small bottles of oils with the crystal potpourri. If I were buying it myself I think I'd prefer to have the top up oils with it.

All the hessian smells here, even the tighter knit stuff you can buy in the fabric shops. They must treat it with something?

I've considered other fabrics as well but worried that with the high humidity it might sweat and stain the fabric? Suppose I should give it a try though and see.

Tracy

This is what I would like to do.....sell the small bottles of oils with the crystal potpourri. If I were buying it myself I think I'd prefer to have the top up oils with it.

All the hessian smells here, even the tighter knit stuff you can buy in the fabric shops. They must treat it with something?

I've considered other fabrics as well but worried that with the high humidity it might sweat and stain the fabric? Suppose I should give it a try though and see.

Tracy

You could do the cheese cloth but tea stain it first so it looks old and stained to begin with. The only burlap I have seen smells too, kind of a musty hay smell.

I have mine posted on etsy,2 so far,but haven't decided to sell refresher oils for them. A lot more work IMO. Just to add a tag or directions to them when half my customers won't even read the list of items I carry is enough to tell me they'd have no clue,lol. Oil is so expensive to.

If I sell the oil with them I'd be afraid that's all they'd want is a bottle of oil then and that's more stuff I'd have to purchase and add. When these run out they can buy more from me and I won't give them the option or tell them you can refresh them,I guess. I get mine from JBNature and they are only 1.00 lb..so not bad.

I am selling them for 7.00..here's my etsy link so you can see the 2 I have listed. May redo some pics before adding the other 3..I like the Sweet orange pic the best and want them to look like that..

www.lonestarwaxworks.etsy.com

Edited by CandleChic

I have mine posted on etsy,2 so far,but haven't decided to sell refresher oils for them. A lot more work IMO. Just to add a tag or directions to them when half my customers won't even read the list of items I carry is enough to tell me they'd have no clue,lol. Oil is so expensive to.

If I sell the oil with them I'd be afraid that's all they'd want is a bottle of oil then and that's more stuff I'd have to purchase and add. When these run out they can buy more from me and I won't give them the option or tell them you can refresh them,I guess. I get mine from JBNature and they are only 1.00 lb..so not bad.

I am selling them for 7.00..here's my etsy link so you can see the 2 I have listed. May redo some pics before adding the other 3..I like the Sweet orange pic the best and want them to look like that..

www.lonestarwaxworks.etsy.com

CandleChic, you have a very nice website and I love your packaging! Everything is very nicely done. I am still pondering wether to do it or not. If I do it, it would be nice to have the re-fresher oil. The down side is the added expense and I'm just not sure that I have the cliental that would be willing to spend the extra money. It's not just the expense of the fo, you also would have the expense of the bottle. I ordered my rock salt from The Salt Works, mixing together the xtra large and the colossal.

I'll have to give this one a lot of thought!

Debbie

Thank you so much,Debbie!!

I joined in 08 and my BF has bugged me for over a year to give it a try. I redid all my stuff,so I thought,why not? I first thought it was really expensive,so no. I LOVE it there now! I have made front page 2x's and only been selling since Sept!

It's not that expensive and so simple!! I am hooked! Just gotta promote some,but it's fun!

Yeah..I keep pondering the oil..I wanna but then I don't. I read a few years ago that some ppl won't offer oil to refresh anything because of the expense and you make more when they buy the whole product again,lol..so much simpler to!!

Who knows..I may not sell the rocks,but I'll use them and they weren't that much so we'll see!! I'll keep ya posted if they sell!!!

Good luck to you,to!!

Edited by CandleChic

Thank you to,Tracy!

Makes me feel good!I've been doing this for a few years now and never could come up with anything good. One night I woke up and said..why not a most wanted poster? I worked and worked on it and finally found one that worked and fit my candles!! I couldn't believe it!

I am now happy and proud of my new look! I also think it has helped me get the sales I've been wanting! I sell more on the outside than with etsy but I have never done this good and for a long period of time like I am now! I sell stuff every week!!!

Thanks again for all the compliments!! Now to see if my rocks will sell some..lol!

Linda