soy tarts

smart

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this problem as well. I am using a 100% soy wax made for pillars, votives, & tarts. I made two batches of tarts ... one was a Christmas tree scent & the other gingerbread ... & they smell heavenly in just sitting on my counter but when I put them in the tart warmer the fragrance is very, very faint. So I thought I'd be smart & double up on the fragrance oil & attempted two more batches. Again they smell absolutely wonderful as they are sitting in Ziploc baggies on my counter but in the tart warmer the fragrance is barely noticeable. I am melting my wax to a temperature of 185 degrees & then adding the scent, stirring it around for a while, & then pouring. Is this not right?

Blessings,

Shirlee

Maybe your warmer is not heating up the tarts hot enough to disperse the scent?

Are you using a tea- light to heat your melts?? That could be the problem

If not, what watt is the warmer??

I use a 24 Watt warmer with my soy melts.

There is never a scent throw issue with the higher watt warmers.

At 24watts, you may burn off the scent quicker tho...

There is a recent thread posted about the watts on warmers and scent throw.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80400

Edited by islandgirl

Barbara AL - Thank you for the tip about plastic bags! I didn't know they suck the scent out of your tarts! I will do a search for cello bags today : )

islandgirl - I just checked my tart warmer. It's one of those metal ones with a punched out design on the bottom. It has the bulb that came with it. It says not to use anything higher than 40 watt so I'm guessing that's what's in there. The bulb looks like one of those candle bulbs used in chandeliers.

How long should I reasonably expect the scent from tarts to last? I sometimes turn on my tart burner & have it on all day. Other times it's just a couple hours. The lady at the store where I bought my warmer & some tarts told me they would scent for about a month. ???

Blessings,

Shirlee

I am having this problem as well. I am using a 100% soy wax made for pillars, votives, & tarts. I made two batches of tarts ... one was a Christmas tree scent & the other gingerbread ... & they smell heavenly in just sitting on my counter but when I put them in the tart warmer the fragrance is very, very faint. So I thought I'd be smart & double up on the fragrance oil & attempted two more batches. Again they smell absolutely wonderful as they are sitting in Ziploc baggies on my counter but in the tart warmer the fragrance is barely noticeable. I am melting my wax to a temperature of 185 degrees & then adding the scent, stirring it around for a while, & then pouring. Is this not right?

Blessings,

Shirlee

How much FO are you using per lb? that might make a difference.I use a punch tin and they are wonderful but a months worth of scent from one tart is too much to ask. Your lucky if Yankee's last a full 8 hrs.

The "recipe" I was given said to use .25 oz of FO for every 4 ounces of wax. My scale only measures out to the tenth so initially I used .30 oz of FO with 4 oz of wax. As I said, they smell great on the counter but you can barely smell them in the burner. For my next attempt I doubled the FO to .60 oz with 4 oz of wax. Once again they smell great on the counter but not much to write home about in the burner.

Blessings,

Shirlee