Votives- advice anyone?

We're pouring between 200-600 votives a day; it happened kind of quickly and a bit unexpected; votives are kind of a pet peeve of mine. My problem with them are the molds. The metal cups are lethal, and the metal pins a royal pain in the butt. Half the time when you bang out a wick pin, a 1/4 inch of the votive cracks off.

So, we started pouring without the pins and after pouring a batch of 200, about 10 minutes later we can start placing the wicks into each mold. It's a bit tedious centering and keeping the wicks centered until they hold their own; but it beats banging out wick pins. So I started looking for a silicone or rubber mold. They look great but at best I found a mold that holds like six; I need to pour 200; at a time. The idea of silicone seems like the answer, but the cost is a bit ridiculous. I guess what I'm asking for here is suggestions, ideas, words of wisdom; whatever you're willing to share! I'm pouring with Ecosoyas votive/pillar blend; wicking with CD wicks. I was also wondering about the really big wick tabs. Anyone using them?

TIA guys!

Gretchen

The best way to deal with the sticking wickpins is to heatgun the bottom of the pin just enough to losen the votive, then tap the top of the pin on your work table, the votive should just slide off easily.

Would be some extra work for 200 + votives but it does work, and your votive stays totally intact instead of cracking.

It is a lot of votives! (Talk about mindless, little to no talent required; but, never under estimate steady cash flow!)

Jeana- Good idea;I'll try that; thanks! In the long run though, I'd really like another alternative to these crappy metal molds! They're wicked! I have scars on my hands from them!

If you are making that many votives a day why are you still using wick pins?!!:confused:

I quit using wick pins for votives ages ago. I only use centering wicks. Just plop the wick in and it centers itself. Pour your wax and your done.

BCN has them under their zinc wicks. I used to get mine at Lonestar but not sure they carry them anymore. Candlesupply.com has them too.

Edited by Candybee

I quit using wick pins for votives ages ago. I only use centering wicks. Just plop the wick in and it centers itself. Pour your wax and your done.

Agree! Self centering bases are the only way to go when making that quantity. Just change the wicks you use - no additional equipment to buy.

I'd have to agree on the self centering wicks. Never tried them, personally.

For safer molds, though, Candlescience has a couple of votive molds without sharp edges. Scottcrewcandlesupply has a couple style silicone molds. I like the straight sided 1.5" one, but 8 cavities for $70 is a bit much. They have another type that is 11 cavities for under $20, but very tapered (1" bottom, 1.75" top).

Usually when I'm pouring that many votives I put the cups on a tray (like the kind you find at a buffet.) Once they are completely set up I tug out as many as I can by just holding the cup on the sides and pulling the wick. If they don't want to pop out I put the whole tray in the fridge (not the freezer) for just a couple of minutes. That shrinks them enough to remove easily. Too long and you may see condensation after they are pulled out.

Found that the cooler the room the easier they come out. I've gotten into the habit of pouring during the hot part of the day and then pulling them out the following morning. Found that trying to get them out before they are thoroughly cooled causes the stuck-in-the-cup problem, too.

HTH

Wow! What a difference a day makes! Didn't realize there were so many responses! Thanks for all the advice & suggestions! An afterthought, I was hoping someone would mention the self centering wick tabs! I will give those a shot. With the wick pins, it was never as big of a problem getting the candle out of the mold with them; that was usually easy. (Although that's when I'd get cut too) It was banging out the wick pin, and I've tried every kind of spray. Losing a 1/4 inch here and a 1/4 inch there was just a waste of time and wax. We've been pouring without the pin then going back in with the wick; but they've been just the standard small-ish wick tabs (the size escapes me at the moment); and my supplier said that their customers 'hated' the self centering tabs so they stopped carrying them. Thanks for telling me where to look or those! I'd still like to try the silicone just to see! (Maybe AFTER Christmas!) Thanks again to all who offered up! Much appreciated as always!

So what is the mechanism that makes those self centering tabs work?

It is the metal at the bottom of the wick that goes at the bottom of the candle. Called many names: wick tab, sustainer base, assembly or clip. They make them for votives and jars, too. Here's what they look like: www.wicksunlimited.com/wick_clips.php

HTH

Edited by Judy, USMC

It is the metal at the bottom of the wick that goes at the bottom of the candle. Called many names: wick tab, sustainer base, assembly or clip. They make them for votives and jars, too. Here's what they look like: www.wicksunlimited.com/wick_clips.php

HTH

Bought some but never tried as my experience with putting wicks in is that the wick can lean to one side or the other.

Bought some but never tried as my experience with putting wicks in is that the wick can lean to one side or the other.

I use a wick with a high temp wick wax and pour my soy cool so the wick (that is in the cup) doesn't bend. I straighten out the lean at the sustainer base by just adjusting the wick right above the base. Also made up some cardboard (like on the back of a note pad - not corrugated) into circles the same size at the cup top and punched a hole in the center for the wick to slide through. No more leaning wicks!

Made up some with a slightly off-center hole for the self-trimming types, too. Works like a charm - inexpensive to make.

OK- I've read all the responses, checked out the sites mentioned; was it Wicks Unlimited; I went there and they offer up allot of info, but it doesn't seem that you can buy from them. Also went to Bitter Creek and found the tabs, so it looks like I'd be making my own wicks with those. At the very least I thought I'd order in their smallest quantity and see how they'd work for me. If they work out, I'm guessing I can order the wicks already put together from someone.

I like the idea of the cardboard circles with the hole in the center! However, I can't imagine trying to line up 100-200 of those after pouring. I have the cups side to side in cardboard flats, touching, rows of 20's.

It's a work in progress for sure!

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all the help & suggestions!