Red Colorant

soycrazy

I know there are several threads on red, but I'm still not finding that one. I was more into mica's and natural color, but for red I don't care. I heard the FD&C colors are unstable or am I wrong?

I have just used the Raspberry POP color before, and I like it, its not a bright red, but its a pretty red. If interested, Dirtybirdsoaps is having a TKB co-op right now, and you can order some to try.

Edited by leisa2003

I never got a red from raspberry pop how much did you use?

I used alot, it would probably be worth it $ wise, if you could find a true red that you didnt have to use alot to get the color you wanted. I used mine in a white base with titanium dioxide.

ETS.. It didnt give me a bright red, I got a darker deeper shade of red. I would like a vibrant red, for some x-mas soaps I am making soon, but not sure what to try for that.

Oh, I believe it was Wonderfullywicked, that said somewhere that she used Dragon Lilys Burgandy and she added alot of this, but she got a good red from it.

Edited by leisa2003

Closest I've come to some reds ...

Select Shades (has a tomato red color you can mix ... and it's the closest I've gotten)

Outside of that, Red brick oxide isn't too bad and red and blue oxide (think that's what it is) isn't too bad either, but they fail at a bright red.

Raspberry pop reminds me more of pinkish red.

There was another oxide I used that I couldn't get red red out of either.

I know I didn't get a good dose of red out of the Hot momma or whatever it's called at TKB.

Red brick oxide isn't too bad and red and blue oxide (think that's what it is) isn't too bad either, but they fail at a bright red.

I second that. Brick Red Oxide will give you that dark brick red, but if you are looking for a cherry or strawberry red, good luck.

Raspberry POP is not red for me. Not even close. Hot Mama does not come out red for me either. I get more of a burnt bricky red with that one.

KB sells a red called "True Red" that some have reported having success with. It was probably about as close to red as I've been able to get my soap but it still wasn't as red as I wanted. It might have been if I had used more of it.