Accounting Software?

Trish

Curious what everyone is using (likes/dislikes) on software for keeping track of sales, etc. I'd love to find one that could inventory my supplies, but haven't found one that isn't outrageously priced! TIA

Curious what everyone is using (likes/dislikes) on software for keeping track of sales, etc. I'd love to find one that could inventory my supplies, but haven't found one that isn't outrageously priced! TIA

i use the artisian craft assembly software. it keeps track of my inventory, sales, and customer contact. does few other things too. HTH

I just use the Quickbooks that came with my Powerbook - I've fussed with it so it does a bit of inventory. I don't report inventory costs for taxes so I just use it as a reminder to order stuff.

I enter invoices & print for customer

I record deposits to bank, paypal, propay

I enter bills & log payments (which updates inventory amounts)

I enter a transaction to reduce inventory when I make a batch of something.

I use the P&L statement to get my data for the Schedule C.

So far it's working quite well. My needs are very simple since we don't have sales taxes to deal with. Only bummer is I don't have an interface from my osCommerce shopping cart to it, so I do have to reenter a customer order.

Eventually I'll mod the osC shopping cart to link to my Quickbooks - I'm just lazy and don't want to take the time - too much like real work.

I would love to use Quickbooks, but it's really expensive to purchase! Maybe when I start making more sales, it'll make it affordable but for now I need something cheap! LOL

I love Openmoney I use it for my comic book and soap business. Really easy and can be exported to any format. And allows for custom water marks

With Access you can build a good database from scratch. If you have a junior college you can take a class there or try to teach yourself. The only thing you want to be sure of is that you write out a plan of everything you want to include in it before you start building it as it's a pain to add after it's been completed.

I have the Quickbooks Simple Start AND the Craft Inventory Software. Kind of a bummer right now to enter some things twice, but I already had the inventory software set up and it works great.... except for not having all the financial data I need. Eventually I'll upgrade the quickbooks so it can handle everything all together.

I think the Simple Start was $99.... that might seem pricey, but it's just one of those costs of doing business. It really is indispensable at tax time.

Peachtree is still my all time favorite. I like it because of the inventory capabilities that QB just does not have.

It is free right now. I think it was Staples that has a rebate going to make the basic program free. About six months ago, it was free and about a dozen or so members bought the program and I opened a forum to discuss setting up and using the program.

I have not heard from anyone from the group on whether or not they are still using the program or if they have gone back to their old ways. Maybe some will pop in and give their opinions. If you decide to give it a go - I can make you a member of the forum and you can read through the old posts to help you get started. I will of course answer questions if you need me to.

I use Quickbooks Pro for the last 2.5 years and love it, I keep inventory in it, invoices, I can do estimates that won't effect your totals and I do supply inventory and selling product inventory.

I can auto ship and print for USPS, UPS and FEDEX threw it.

I just bought my upgrade cause I was still using 2003 and thought I better upgrade it!

Takes a bit to get use to it but once you do you will really like it too.

I even have a bar code scanner on it (cost me $38 for the scanner)

I get some products from suppliers and I can just scan it in and it places it into my supply inventory.

Eventually I want to bar code my bottom warning labels.

I use Quickbook Premier. I love it. Like BLue Diamon says, you can create estimates, sale orders, turn them into invoices, ship packages and process credit cards right in the software. I can enter wax, wicks and fragrances as inventory and then put them together to form a candle in my enverntory. I had a basic version of QB before and liked its ease of use. But I wanted the ability to manufacture from inventory. So I went on ebay, got an idea how much they were selling the beefed up version for, bid on one and then got one that was unopened with a rebate for upgrading. New, the software was $500 [i think] I paid $300 then got $120 back for the upgrade. So I was out $180. For me, it has been well worth it. I would think you could get and even better price now as it is a few years old. [2003]. I ought to see what I could sell my origional version for and make back some of that $180 :D

Peachtree is still my all time favorite. I like it because of the inventory capabilities that QB just does not have.

It is free right now. I think it was Staples that has a rebate going to make the basic program free. About six months ago, it was free and about a dozen or so members bought the program and I opened a forum to discuss setting up and using the program.

I have not heard from anyone from the group on whether or not they are still using the program or if they have gone back to their old ways. Maybe some will pop in and give their opinions. If you decide to give it a go - I can make you a member of the forum and you can read through the old posts to help you get started. I will of course answer questions if you need me to.

which peachtree program do you have? I checked out the site and am confused as to which one i would need.

I have PT complete but I think that the basic one is everything you need. I can not remember the difference but as long as you have the Bill of Materials or Assembly function then you are good to go. I have been using mine for about 4 years and love it. I started using it for another company and I liked it so well that I purchased it for myself. Mine is a little out of date - I think it is 2002.

If I were to build a database aka accounting software what would you like to see in it

I would like to track my sales (each size container, pillar, scent), supplies purchased, an inventory...hmmmm.....I'll have to keep thinking on this since I really havent' looked into software much yet but know I need it!