CP Soap allergy....

Carlena

I had recvd a Stonehenge CP Soap from a friend with these ingredients:

Contains-Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Soy Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Fragrance & Colorant.

I did contact the person & she also uses Lye - and said its been curing since May....

Me & my 11 yr old Daughter has broke out extremely bad - face, legs, arms with big bumps, they do not ooze they are scratchy & red inflammed....

Ive been on Prednisone for going on 2wks til I realized it was the soap when my Daughter just broke out with it on Friday when she used the bar for the very first time....I threw it in the garbage & mine seems to be doing better now but, my daughter OH MY I feel so so sorry for her - plus going to School all day without Benadryl every 4 hrs ....

Does anyone have a clue what ingredient would do this or have you ever experienced this situation before...

The gal was very apologetic & I told her it wasnt her fault I just wanted her to be aware what that soap did to us...

Thanks for any info!!

Because you and your daughter both reacted does not mean that the gal who made the soap did anything wrong. You both could be allergic to any one of the ingredients and my experience shows that allergies can sometimes be hereditary. I have a customer that is allergic to shea and another that is allergic to coconut as is her mom. Regardless of how good or bad a product is, these 2 would still have an allergic reaction to any product that contain those allergens. So who knows what you could have reacted to if this is an allergic reaction. That's a bummer for you since its IMO too hard to tell. If you wanted to really know, you could figure out some process of elimination or get tested by your doctor. I'm not a doctor so take it FWIW.

Also curing soap since May would not help if the soap is lye heavy. I can't imagine a lye heavy would feel good either.

I hope you and your DD feel better soon. An oatmeal bath might help.

The majority of allergic reactions are from synthetic fragrances.

But you could be allergic to one of the oils too. I had a woman at my booth the other day that started totally reacting to the soy in my soaps and candles just standing there. At least she knew her allergies and realized since my products contain soy, it wouldn"t be a good idea to buy them.

Thank You for your responses.....I did talk to the gal & she does use Lye in her soaps....I didnt want to make her feel bad, cause that wasnt my intentions at all & I told her that,,,,,I just wanted her to know what it did to us is all....I said it wasnt her fault - it could happen to anyone,,,,,we were just the chosen

I just know now to use my own soaps that I make which are Goats Milk & Glycerin....we've not had any problems with them....

Thanks Again gurls :) for your opinions

We are finally on the mend; and I dont wanna have to go through it again nor for my daughter....poor thing

All soaps are made with lye, and i doubt very much it was the cause of your reactions, more likely the Shea or Fragrance was the culprit, my neice has eczema and other allergies and has no problems using my "lye made" soap.

"Soapy Myths

The most common myth is that glycerin soap doesn’t contain lye. Yes it does. ALL soap contains lye. Lye is mixed with fats and water and in the case of melt & pour, other clarifying ingredients such as sugar, alcohol, propylene glycol and sorbitol. The soapy fact here is that once you purchase the glycerin soap base YOU don’t have to use any lye. And that’s what’s so appealing to us."

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/glycerin-soap.shtml

Carlena

It was most definitely not the lye you reacted to as everyone said ALL soap is made with lye. You reacted to something else probably the fragrance, but could be any of the other items listed. The "soap" you make is most likely Melt & Pour which also is made with lye, just ask your supplier.

Edited by cdesousa5
added comment

Thank You for your responses.....I did talk to the gal & she does use Lye in her soaps....

I'm glad you are doing better - but why do you keep saying this?

ALL SOAP IS MADE WITH LYE, BUT THERE IS NO LYE IN SOAP.

The lye is a component of soap. Lye + Oil = soap + glycerin (and some of the residual oil)... see, no lye left.

If there was lye left, your problem wouldn't have been an allergic reaction - it would have been a chemical burn and trust me, you wouldn't confuse the two.

Edited by CareBear

Sorry, I didnt realize LYE was in every soap.....I'm dumb on it as I dont make anything but Gylcerin & Goat Milk Soap...I dont mix anything in those but FO,,,,,,so, I just didnt know what LYE was all about....

I'm guessing it was either the FO or the other ingredients you guys have mentioned.

I would not say you are dumb; just not educated yet about soap and how its made. You are learning though. Everybody starts somewhere. ;)

All soap has lye in the process but once completely cured, lye SHOULD not be present anymore. You hope it is not present. However, if the calculations were off, the soap could be lye heav meaning that lye is present and you could get a lye burn/reaction from using the soap. Lye is not an acid though and will not burn you like an acid does, but you know when you get lye on you and the reaction is much different from an allergic reaction. I've gotten lye on me but fortunately for me, I've never used a lye heavy soap. I've heard of people getting lye heavy soaps in swaps though.

If you are using a base, that base was made with some lye but will not (or should not) have lye present in the final product. If you use an FO in your MP that is not soap safe, you could react to that as well. You could also buy a base with an ingredient in it that you could be allergic to.

People have a misconception that if its hand made soap they won't be allergic to it. Unfortunatley, hand-made does not equate to allergy free.

I'm glad to hear you and your DD are on the mend and feeling better.