OUCH!! votive molds.

why didnt anyone warn me these things were razor sharp ? in just 2 minutes i sliced myself twice.. i am trying to clean them, i got them from CS and they are covered in oil.. how the heck do you clean these ? i have them soaking in hot soapy water, but they are so small and sharp and a couple had alot of oil on them to where inside and out parts are brown..

Oh, yeah, they are sharp!! I use a big wadded paper towel and wipe them out real good after pouring. Depending on the wax I used sometimes I have to use the heat gun on them. Then they're hot and sharp so be careful!!

Mine didn't have an oil when I bought them but you're probably good doing what you're doing. Make sure you dry them out real good before pouring, of course! :)

Paper towel here too..lots of them so I'm not exposed to the sharp edge of the mold. I like the Kleenex brand (Viva I think) for my candle projects, they're more cloth like than normal paper towel.

Works like a charm.

I am all for Viva! They are great for cleaning the molds, and I go thru a lot of them.

I have not cut myself on the votives, but on the bigger molds.

Before grinding aluminum on a grinding wheel, make sure you are aware of all of the safety issues involved. Aluminum clogs standard wheels and generates excess heat. This can cause the binder in the wheel to break down and the wheel to fail. Powdered aluminum will also react with powdered steel. (If one wheel has been used for both metals, or if the dust is swept up together) The mixture of powdered iron and powdered aluminum is called thermite, and is a popular ingredient in fireworks! (I wanted to insert an icon of a smiley running around in flames, but there isn't one!)

Make sure that the owner of the wheel knows what you are grinding with it. Real machine shops almost never do wheel grinding of aluminum. Probably a fine file and disposing of the filings carefully would be the best tactic.

Doh! disregard the above post. I just looked at CS's site and they have steel votive molds. Most of mine are seamless aluminum, and I just assumed that CS had the same ones. I have a few steel ones from Peaks, and they are really nice. (But I also cut myself on them the first day I had them.) Feel free to use a grinding wheel to take care of the steel molds.

Dave

(Don't ever trust safety advice from somebody named Cap'n Crunch!)