I Need Help ASAP Please

ladysj

I made another batch of DSM this afternoon. I stick blended & blended & never got it past a little more than thin trace. The oils seemed to keep separating. I went ahead and poured it in my mold and put it in the oven. I peeked at it a little bit ago and all of the oil has floated to the top.

Why would it do this? The first batch I made also I had a hard time getting it to a decent trace. When I unmolded it, it had some oil but started drying up after I cut it.

I forgot to put that I pulled off some of it to color before I added the DSM & it turned out fine.

What is your recipe, it would help to figure out what it could be. Did you weigh your lye and/or water correctly? Did you have a high amount of olive oil? It can cause a very slow trace. Oils were separating because you did not have trace most likely or not enough lye. I add DSM to only a protion of my soap and swril it in at medium trace, when did you add it?

The dsm shouldn't be the problem. You may be trying to SB with the ingredients too hot....this can cause separation.

I HP and if I SB too hot, this sometimes happens when I put the pot in the oven. What I do is take it out of the oven, SB until mashed potato consistency and toss it back in the oven. Fixed.

It also may be that your SB is not a good quality and is stirring at too slow a speed. There are lots of different SBs out there. I have 2 at the moment. One is good and stirs at a high rate of speed, the other, even stirring on the highest speed, just does not stir fast enough. It is only 200 whatevers. You may want to check your SB.

The oils were pretty warm I usually soap room temp but just wanted to get it made. They weren't just right off the stove hot but warmer than I normally soap. I haven't checked it this morning.

I guess I'll just toss it back in a bowl mix it up some more & put it back in the oven. Bye Bye swirls :(

Sounds like you got a false trace.

If you put it back in the pot, make absolutely sure you reach trace. Also make sure your hard oils haven't settled to the bottle of the pot.

I've never used soy oil either but I've used Crisco a lot and that's a type of soybean oil.

May next time, sub on you liquis soy oil for Olive oil.

I work with DSM all the time and you DO need to make sure it is well incorporated into you oils before adding you lye water.

Combine hard and soft oils in the pot.

Stick blend them together.

Add your DSM one tablespoon at a time and stickbled after every tablespoon in added. your oils will turn gray with the DSM as it is combined in.

When the DSM is fully combined and married into you oils, THEN add the lye water and bring you mix to trace.

Keep in mind that because you are working with DSM to use a spoon to bring up anything that may have settled to the bottom of the pot. I never use a scent that I know can expediate the trace.

In working with DSM for a swirl in soap,

Combine all the oils and add lye water.

When you have a light trace, pull off the soap to be mix with DSM and mix it and set off to use. The DSM should already be in the bottom of the container for swirl portion.

I do both an ITP swil as well as a top swirl.

Good luck

Sounds like you got a false trace.

If you put it back in the pot, make absolutely sure you reach trace. Also make sure your hard oils haven't settled to the bottle of the pot.

I've never used soy oil either but I've used Crisco a lot and that's a type of soybean oil.

May next time, sub on you liquis soy oil for Olive oil.

I work with DSM all the time and you DO need to make sure it is well incorporated into you oils before adding you lye water.

Combine hard and soft oils in the pot.

Stick blend them together.

Add your DSM one tablespoon at a time and stickbled after every tablespoon in added. your oils will turn gray with the DSM as it is combined in.

When the DSM is fully combined and married into you oils, THEN add the lye water and bring you mix to trace.

Keep in mind that because you are working with DSM to use a spoon to bring up anything that may have settled to the bottom of the pot. I never use a scent that I know can expediate the trace.

In working with DSM for a swirl in soap,

Combine all the oils and add lye water.

When you have a light trace, pull off the soap to be mix with DSM and mix it and set off to use. The DSM should already be in the bottom of the container for swirl portion.

I do both an ITP swil as well as a top swirl.

Good luck

Thank you so much I will try doing that next time.

You may be trying to SB with the ingredients too hot....this can cause separation.

really? Hmmm. I"d think perhaps too cool could happen as you risk false trace.

With too hot I've gotten such joys as seizing, ricing, and generally speedy trace but never separation.

I've only gotten separation from pouring too soon (thought it was fully emulsified - I was mistaken).