Does candle making affect your health?

Sorry if this is not in the appropriate section, but considering we work with soy and palm waxes only....

I'm trying to figure out whether or not our candle making is affecting my throat.

It seems that when we are pouring or testing a lot of candles all at once I get a kind of raw (not sore though) feeling in my throat - like I can feel the breath in my throat, and this is followed by a huskiness or hoarseness in my voice which sometimes lasts a couple of days.

At this point I'm not entirely certain it corrolates with when we pour or test but I was just wondering if the fragrances affect anyone else in this way?

Basically I'm a chicken and KNOW I should see the doctor but, well...... :( just wanted to see if I could rule this out or in as a possible cause.

Tracy

www.acehardware.com

I use the 3M Latex Paint and Odor Respirator Mask - $7.49

You can probably get it at most large Home Improvement Stores. It's not big and uncomfortable like the large paint mask respirators.

I feel this is a great light weight mask to wear. It just seems that when the fragrance oil hits the hot wax it did go right up into my nose and throat. This mask provides great protection from that. I noticed with the cinnamon type fragrance oils....now I don't get that cinnamon in my nose and throat.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to resort to a mask. Even if it's NOT the cause it's probably not good to be inhaling in fragrances in such concentrations is it?

That one looks a bit better than the standard "cheapie" ones - they make me feel totally claustrophobic.

Tracy

Most definately it affects your health. When my grandson was going thru allergies first question Dr. asked was "do you burn candles" my DIL said...burn them...my MIL makes them. Dr. said to be very careful with floral scents especially.

My husband can tell with one sniff if I'm burning something with cinnamon or clove...his nose goes berserk.

Does candlemaking affect my health or can it?

This is a no-brainer. We are talking about inhaled chemicals here. FOs are strong chemicals! These kinds of chemicals are well-known triggers for allergeric reactions, migraines, contact dermatitis (skin rashes), GI symptoms and other general "feel bad" complaints. MANY people have sensitivities to such chemicals. They can cause symptoms in end-users of products, let alone those who manufacture those products and come into contact with concentrats & more frequent exposure!!

Raw throats, respiratory symptoms, headaches, contact dermatitis, general malaise, even GI complaints, etc. can all be symptoms of chemical sensitivity. These symptoms, because they mostly affect respiration (breathing!) are very important and should not be taken lightly. The more one is exposed to a substance to which one is sensitive, the more likely one is to develop a serious allergy or other more serious condition.

No craft or vocation, no matter how much one enjoys it, nor how lucrative, is worth compromising one's health.

There ARE protective safety devices, such as respirators, air filtration machines, protective gloves, etc., that can help reduce one's exposure and if one feels like they may be sensitive, I hope they would employ these devices for their protection!

But the bottom line is this: it doesn't matter if everyone else in the universe can handle FOs with no problems, the day I become sensitive to FOs and develop respiratory symptoms is the last day I work with FOs. :2cents:

Thanks for the responses.

We're in a better situation in this new house as we're using the garage which has a back roller door that is always left open when we work, so there is plenty of ventilation.

Still, it's always concerned me knowing that fragrant oils are so potent.

I was working with one the other night called "spa" and I really felt like the lining of my throat was being stripped bare!

I think from now on I will have to take all the necessary precautions.

Tracy

Yesterday I made a couple of lampe berger fuel oils and was burning them and a couple of new scents. Something has had me sneezing since yesterday.

I know of people who have scarred their lungs for not using a mask while using strong scents like cinnamons. I had a bad experience with some black cherry that I was stupid enough to put my nose directly over right after pouring. Now the same mask I use while mixing lye for soap I use for candlemaking. My sense of smell is my livlihood...why would I want to damage it.

Yikes, now I really am getting worried.

Scarred lungs?

Well, ok, so I'm just going to wear a mask now no matter what! Hubby too, even though he reckons it doesn't affect him at all!

I'm a songwriter - have my own home studio....I've noticed this is really affecting my singing voice. I can't seem to sing quiet breathy notes as I used to. I know I'm a bit out of practise but something is definately not right with my vocal chords.

I might bite the bullet and go see the doctors anyway.

Tracy

I have a window fan that blows outward. It sucks out the fumes and you can't even tell when I'm pouring candles in the rest of the house. It's just common sense to know that good air circulation is important whether you are cleaning the bathroom or pouring candles. If you pour lots of candles each week, then some kind of a ventilation system would be worth the expense. The fan does a great job of sucking those fumes out and probably if I wore a mask it would be even better. I usually change clothes and take a shower after a heavy pour session.

Yikes, now I really am getting worried.

Scarred lungs?

Well, ok, so I'm just going to wear a mask now no matter what! Hubby too, even though he reckons it doesn't affect him at all!

I'm a songwriter - have my own home studio....I've noticed this is really affecting my singing voice. I can't seem to sing quiet breathy notes as I used to. I know I'm a bit out of practise but something is definately not right with my vocal chords.

I might bite the bullet and go see the doctors anyway.

Tracy

I would quit, I can't smell or taste like I use to, could be old age. But when I pour any berry especially Black Cherry I can hardly breath, coughing too. So I wear a mask, but it pushes my glasses up so I don't wear it all the time. I also have a fan I use sometimes to push the air out. It doesn't take the smell out like I wish it would. Take care of that voice, some of us can't sing worth a damn, me and would love to have what you have so take care.

You can get all kinds of symptoms working with FOs. Some people do it for years without an apparent health impact, but I don't doubt it's possible to be hurt by it in some cases.

A 3M mask with the organic vapor cartridge works very well for protection. You won't smell a thing with that on. You can find it at Uline.com and elsewhere.

Your ventilation may not be adequate with the door open, because ideally the fumes need to be removed quickly from right where you're standing once the FO is poured. As chuck pointed out, an exhaust fan might work better.

A few people commented on black cherry. The chemical that smells like black cherry is one of strongest fragrance compounds out there.