Using wick pins in votives

Has anybody ever had a problem with the bottome of the candle when you use wick pins? I jut took a batch out and the bottoms were kinda crunchy and not formed right. Has anybody else this kind of problem? If so, how did you fix it? Thanks for any advice!

Sheryl

The problem I had when I used IGI 4794 was sometimes the bottoms would kinda break off and not be flat. Like the wax adheared to the pin too much. Since I've changed to 5050 nothing like that happens. I can't say the bottoms were actually crunchy but I know how some things are kinda hard to explain.

It depends what you mean by crunchy. If it's cold or the pouring temperature is too low, you might not get a totally smooth finish on the candle. It's often worst around the bottom edge, especially if there's a wick pin in there. They tend to have sturdy metal bases that absorb heat and cool the wax quickly.

If that's the problem, pouring 5 or 10 degrees hotter will fix it. Alternatively you could warm the molds a little, but that can be a hassle with votives.