4 ounce jelly jar pricing?

I hope this is the right place to post this! Does anyone sell the 4oz. jelly jars? I've searched like crazy, but found very little info on this size. Just wondering what a reasonable price would be. I've found lots of sites selling theirs for $5 each, but I don't think I'm going to try that! I'm thinking $3.50-4.50....any thoughts? These are quilted jars with silver lids and tied with raffia. :)

Ummm, perhaps I did not phrase my question well. I am asking what the going rate is for the finished product, not where to buy the containers. :) Also, while I'm at it, I'm going to be making smelly jellies in these too and trying to set a price for both the candles and smelly jellies.

Ack! I really need to work on my question-asking skills! :laugh2:

I know the formula, but these are a bit tricky since the jar costs so much in comparison to the amount of product it holds (costs the same as the 8 oz jars.) The finished product costs me about $1.50 each to make, so x 3 would be $4.50, and probably what I need to go with. I just wondered what others charge and/or would be willing to pay for this size container. I think I will end up starting at $4.50 or 3/$12 and see if they sell. I asked dh how much he thought they should sell for and he said $3....not very encouraging! :shocked2:

Countyline ... I hope you get $4.50 for your 4oz jars; I think it just depends on the area in which you sell them.

However, from my experience, based on selling candles in my area, a 4oz jelly jar would probably sell for $3. I usually sell my 8oz jj for $6, so I'm figuring a 4oz would sell for about half the price of an 8oz jar.

I'm sure everyone has their own experiences with pricing, I can only speak for myself. I think it would be helpful to find out what the going price for a 4oz jj is where you plan on selling them, and then go from there. Hope this helps and good luck.

Like candlebuddy said it really depends on your area. I sell 4 oz hex jar candles for $4 or 3 for $11. I tried selling them at $4.50 and they wouldn't sell. So be sure to research your area and take into account your costs when deciding your price. Don't mean to sound lectury but you have to consider all your variables then test the waters.

Yep, I know. I am taking them to a show for the first time this weekend, so I think I'll have two signs ready to go: one for $4.50 each or 3/$12, and one for $3.50 each or 3/$10, that way I can start at the higher price, but be prepared in case someone next to me has 8 ouncers for $5! I know it depends on the market; I just have taken a break from selling for aboiut 5 years, so I'm kind of out of the loop on what things are selling for at shows these days. I do know that $3.50 is as low as I will go, any lower than that is just not worth my time. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts!

Sounds good. I would just change one thing. If your bottom sale price is $3.50 a jar then make your 3 for at that price; eg. "3 for $10.50", then you don't go below your bottom price even with your 3 for sale. Then set your basic jar price from $3.50 to $4.50-- say $3.75 or $4 each. Hope that makes sense.

And good luck with your show! Hope they sell well!!!

Yep, Candybee, I realized after I posted that didn't make a lot of sense! Thinking $4 or 4/$15 as someone suggested earlier.

Jaime: I'm afraid to tell you b/c I'm sure my booth will be a disaster. It's only the 2nd show I've ever done and the first was 5 years ago! :shocked2: I'm totally out of money for my display, so it should be um...interesting. Anyway, at risk of making a fool of myself, it's the Rush Springs Watermelon Festival on Saturday. You'll know us by the random purses hanging about! ;) Two of my friends are coming with me and they make bags, so we'll be the booth that looks like a flea market. :laugh2:

I personally wouldn't go below the $4 price on a 4 ounce candle. I think $1 per ounce is very reasonable and make it worth your time to make. Also, don't be too quick to lower your price. I have been to shows where sales are slower and wanted to do the same, but stick by your price and have pride for your work. You will end up making more money in the end to people who will appreciate the quality of your work. A cheap candle can be bought at Wallie World. A handcrafted candle is much more valuable. JMO

Jaime: I'm afraid to tell you b/c I'm sure my booth will be a disaster. It's only the 2nd show I've ever done and the first was 5 years ago! :shocked2: I'm totally out of money for my display, so it should be um...interesting. Anyway, at risk of making a fool of myself, it's the Rush Springs Watermelon Festival on Saturday. You'll know us by the random purses hanging about! ;) Two of my friends are coming with me and they make bags, so we'll be the booth that looks like a flea market. :laugh2:

Good luck on the show! Don't worry about your booth! Once ppl smell the candles, they won't care how the booth looks anyways! And I'm sure it will be fine! I'm not sure exactly where Rush Springs is. I'll have to google it. I've heard of it of course. I'm north of Shawnee a little bit.

Good luck on the show! Don't worry about your booth! Once ppl smell the candles, they won't care how the booth looks anyways! And I'm sure it will be fine! I'm not sure exactly where Rush Springs is. I'll have to google it. I've heard of it of course. I'm north of Shawnee a little bit.

I'm not sure where it is either, but I guess I'm going to find out! Well, I hope, anyway! I know it's somewhere not too far from Chickasha, where I will be staying with my friend who is helping me...Surely she can get me there! :yay:

I hope this is the right place to post this! Does anyone sell the 4oz. jelly jars? I've searched like crazy, but found very little info on this size. Just wondering what a reasonable price would be. I've found lots of sites selling theirs for $5 each, but I don't think I'm going to try that! I'm thinking $3.50-4.50....any thoughts? These are quilted jars with silver lids and tied with raffia. :)

I started out with this type of jar in the beginning, but I could not sell them. Nobody wanted to pay 4.00 for one. Not even 3.50. I decided to make my smallest jar 8oz jj. I can make one of those for 1.50 and I sell them for 6.00. They buy these like crazy. I also could only get 25 hours out of a 4oz jj and get 60 hours out of a 8oz jj. My 8oz jj is my best seller. Followed by my 10oz hex which I sell for 8.00 and when I do fundraisers I sell them for 9.00. Good luck.

• 10 months later...

I use to make them and sold for $4, but they didn't sell very well. I also made a 16oz which I sold for $10 and a 8oz for $6. So the 16oz was the best deal. But the only one that ever sold was the 8oz, so I dropped everything but that one size and do a 2oz melt and wow so much easier to deal with..................

I was in a very nice department store Saturday and they had these great 16 oz candles in crockery jars that were $5.00 apiece. They weren't selling many of them from the looks of the display but then most people are buying vacation stuff. I gave up on 4 oz and votives because people just wouldn't pay more than a couple of dollars for a small candle. You might try describing them as room fresheners or gift basket candles. People are always open to things they can throw in a basket for gift giving. I used to call them fragrance samplers and offered them in groups. HTH

Steve