Wicks for Soy Wax

I posted this on the other board and was told maybe you guys could help me :)

.I'm using a 100% soy wax that I'm pouring into pint sized mason jars for container candles. What type of wick is best?

I've tried both HTP 104 and HTP 1212 and they both seem to leave some wax on the sides of the jar. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I'm using Nature's Garden NG Soy Wax. And the HTP 1212 wicks. I managed to get ONE blueberry muffin scented candle in a wide mouth mason jar to nearly melt completely and leave no residue, but that's the only one. And I've gone through a 50 pound box of wax trying.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the wax. I've used a zillion different fragrances and I can't get any of the candles to get a good hot throw. Not a single one. And I adjust the FO, sometimes more, sometimes less, and still not a good hot throw at all. Yet, the reviews on the site say that everyone else seems to be getting a good throw. LOL!

I called NG about the problems, they have a help line. First time it was "get a bigger wick". I did that. Then it was "the fragrance is too thick" even though it was an NG fo, so I tried a lighter one. Now it's "it must be the jar." But they are just mason jars?

I know candle making is try, try and try some more, but I'm wondering. I've GOT to be doing something wrong!

The wax instructions are to heat to 175, add FO at 130 and pour at 110. I do that, exactly. Still nothing.

*big sigh* Getting so frustrated LOL

I can't help you but i certainly feel your pain..I'm STILL trying to get GB 464 to work for me (without adding parrafin). I've mixed it every which way except stand on my head (and if I could have figured out how to accomplish that, I would have tried it)..and still have pitiful HT. I've left it alone for now and am making some parrafin container candles and para-soy tarts (with great success I might add :smiley2: ) just to give myself an ego boost. I'll conquer the 464...just not right now.

Good luck and don't get discouraged..we've all been there one (or twenty) times ourselves. If it wasn't challenging I would have been bored with it months ago :grin2: !!!

Karen

The wax instructions are to heat to 175, add FO at 130 and pour at 110. I do that, exactly. Still nothing.

I would never add my FO at 130, no matter what the instructions say. Most FO's will not bind properly with the wax at such a low temperature. Try adding your FO at 175-180 and see if that may give you a better hot throw. :cool2:

I can't help you but i certainly feel your pain..I'm STILL trying to get GB 464 to work for me (without adding parrafin). I've mixed it every which way except stand on my head (and if I could have figured out how to accomplish that, I would have tried it)..and still have pitiful HT. I've left it alone for now and am making some parrafin container candles and para-soy tarts (with great success I might add :smiley2: ) just to give myself an ego boost. I'll conquer the 464...just not right now.

Good luck and don't get discouraged..we've all been there one (or twenty) times ourselves. If it wasn't challenging I would have been bored with it months ago :grin2: !!!

Karen

Karen, have you tried making any tarts using strictly 464? From what I've read from many wise folks on this forum, it seems that if your tarts throw well on the tart warmer and you're still following the same production processes when it comes to adding the FO, colorant, stirring, etc., then the wicks often are the poor HT culprits when you pour into containers.

When I was pouring straight 464, I had pretty good success with HT using ECOs: 12 and 14 to be exact, in 3.5" wide 8 oz containers. I was adding warmed FO (1oz per pound) and colorant to my wax at about 185 degrees. I stirred continuously until the temp was about 170 and poured.

HTH,

Ryan :)

Wow! Really? I will certainly try that! The instructions for the wax were saying to add the FO at 130-135, but I'll try adding it hotter. Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Oh, that is a good suggestion! It really does help to add the FO at a hotter temp, as it does bind better with your wax. Maybe this is all it will take to help your situation! :yay: