No Hot Throw in GB 464

Hi everyone :)

I am new to this forum and have been reading and have found some very helpful and useful info.

However, I am very frustrated this morning. :( I used to be a C3 wax user but have recently decided to switch waxes and have been testing with the GB 464 because I have read so many good things about it. Especially that it is said to produce an excellent hot throw.

I have tested the following scents:

Promiseberry (a concoction of my own that includes multiple berry scents)

Sunwashed Linen from Candle Science (rated 3 leaves)

Cucumber Melon from BCN (usually a nice strong scent)

Sweet Pea from CS

Fresh Cut Grass from BCN

Pearberry from CS

Here is my problem: I am not getting a hot throw with any of these that I am happy with at all. I keep asking myself; Why would someone buy one of my 3" jar candles for almost $10 that doesn't scent up a room when they can just go to Gold Canyon and by a small 5oz baby jar for around that price and it will scent up their whole house?

I'm so frustrated.

I have been testing with the ECO Wicks, I have also tested some with the CD wicks since those are what i used with the C3 wax.

I am mixing the scent at around 185 degrees, I stir it well.

When I burn the candles, I am happy with the way they burn with certain wicks but am not getting a very good scent throw at all.

Can anyone please help me?

Would anyone mind sharing which scents they have found to work well in the 464 wax?

I'm just at wits end over here. I have customers who cannot wait for the new product but I just can't get past this testing phase.

I just poured the Peach FO from CS to test with that. My fingers are crossed.

Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Pristina...welcome to my club, although not a very happy club :sad2:

I'm having the same problems as you. Using quality FO's, curing 5 days and still nothing. Have cured some FO's 2 weeks and still barely a whiff. I've tested CD wicks and will be testing on Monday Eco and CDN wicks. I wish I could offer you some advise. I also use CS oils and JBN. I heat to 185, add FO (usually 1.3 - 1.4 oz/lb) and pour at 145. Beautiful tops. Would love to stay with this wax but like you..why would someone want to buy these candles..I don't even enjoy them! I'm almost finished with a 10 lb. bag and have yet to get a decent candle. I'm seriously thinking of trying a new wax but don't know which way to go.

I looking forward to hearing from those who are successfully using this wax too.

Karen

Pristina,

I am still new at this, but I thought I would share my thoughts anyways....I use 464 wax from CS I have not had a problem (so far) with the HT....I dont know how much FO you use, but I use 1.5oz pp I have kick butt HT in all the scents I have tried sofar...

I am using a 6oz hex jar about 2 3/4" diam and cd wicks...I know everyone is different just like every wax is different and every nose is different....but I like a candle big or small to have a kick butt HT and CT and that is what I get so I am happy and so is everyone else who comes in my house lol :yay:

Anyways, I hope I have helped you somewhat and dont give up on the wax....it truely is an easy wax(IMO)

Jen

I use 464. I get a great throw. Once in awhile, I will hear someone say they have one that is light. But not many. I make about 3 cases a week. I use 1.5oz per lb. No less. I cure for 3 to 4 days, sometimes longer. I use ECO 10's in an 8oz jar. I also add 15% parrifin. Just enough to make the tops smooth and add to the throw. There is still no smoke. They burn clean and even. And I get the great CT from the soy. Maybe this will help. I think that CS peach is weak. I think BCS cucumber melon is really weak. That is a hard scent to get right. I like CS the best. Almost every time, the throw is awesome. I added pineapple to the peach and it is kick butt. Pearberry should have been really strong in any wax. I like CS leaves. They are true. Also check out NGs reviews. They have some really strong ones for soy. Millcreek has some good ones too. Just test everything first. Also remember that after you pour a batch of candles, when you burn one it will seem weak. If you pour all the time, nothing will smell strong to you anymore. I can't test my own. I can't smell them anymore. Get some one else to test them before you decide they are weak.

• Thumbs Up 1

Debra...when you say you use 15% paraffin...what kind? I'm assuming it would be a paraffin wax used for containers...always confused about that.

Thanks so much for your help on this topic..I really like the 464 and if I can get the HT & CT issue taken care of I'll be a happy camper!

Karen

The 15% paraffin would have an impact on the throw. After adding that, it isn't 464 any more - it's a 85/15 parasoy blend. Having to add an extra 1/2 oz. of FO raises the pouring cost especially when there are so many FOs that throw very well at 1 oz. pp. ;)

The 15% paraffin would have an impact on the throw. After adding that, it isn't 464 any more - it's a 85/15 parasoy blend. Having to add an extra 1/2 oz. of FO raises the pouring cost especially when there are so many FOs that throw very well at 1 oz. pp. ;)

I totally agree. I would rather use a wax that only needs 1oz of FO per lb for good scent throw and would rather stick with soy wax rather than a parasoy blend. But that's just me

Thanks for all your help you guys :)

I use a container parrifin that has no soy. It does not take the scent away. It makes the scent stronger. I have always used 1.5 oz per lb. I am sure I could use less, but I pour so many candles, it is just easy for me to do that. I guess I am lazy. Using straight soy does not mean you don't have to use as much scent. Some suppliers are recommending 2oz. per lb. for soy. It always take more than parrifin. I like the little bit of parrifin, because it make the candles look much better. It increases the the throw, even in ones that are hard to get strong enough scent. I don't want to have to wait around for the wax to cool. I don't have to with this mixture. All I know, is I sell a lot of candles. The customers go crazy over them and come back for more. Must be doing something right for the last 10 years. There is more than one way to make a great candle. Remember that. Dive in and do your own thing. Put your heart into it and they will come out great. :yay:

• Thumbs Up 1

I do the same as debra....85% 464 and 15% paraffin I have also tested everything from 15% to 50% paraffin and found that I like the 15 to 20% the best.

I use 1 to 1.5 oz FO depending on which one I am using.

I really think the paraffin helps boost the HT and CT in the 464.

Hey, we use 464 with nothing added to it except the FO at 1 oz. pp and we generally get great hot and cold throw from them. We are just about to begin supplying a shop locally who currently gets all of his candles from the US from companies such as Woodwick and Keepers of the Light and he reckons that ours outdo the ones he has currently by a mile.

Maybe we are just lucky. I can tell you who we get our FO's from although it would mean nothing to you as we use local suppliers here in Australia. Ultimately they would all come out of the US, but from whom we will probably never know. We have noticed a couple of ours where the throw is really strong and the odd one which is weaker, but on the whole at 1 oz. pp we are more than happy with both the HT and CT using 464.

Cheers

Richard

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with my new batch of 464. CT is pretty good but HT is almost non-existent. I thought it was my FO but I've never a problem before from Bert so I figured that wasn't it besides I tried 4 different scents.

I sure am glad I decided to check in here this morning before guests arrived for Thanksgiving to see I am not alone AND while I still had some hair left.

I even tried adding some J223...no help. I always add 1 tsp CO anyway but even that isn't helping right now.

• 2 months later...

good to find this thread since its what I've been doing thru the holidays. I tried Berts "green tea" using the 464 and 6% soy with a cd-10. That one turned out pretty good but I havent had as much luck with the others. Gonna up to the 15% and see what happens..........

so....if I add 1.5oz of paraffin to 15oz of 464, I now have 16.5oz of wax to which I add my 1.25oz of FO......hmm now I have 17.75oz to pour.....

I think I will add 1.5oz to 16oz of 464, by the time I add my FO I will have almost 19 oz which will fill 3 of the 8oz jj. .....So would this still be roughly 9%?