Mushrooms without FO or dye?!

Question:

When I'm testing my wax in an approx. 3 in. diameter tumbler without any FO or dye, I'm getting mushrooming on the 1st and 2nd burns (3hr duration each). Would it be more likely that the wick or the wax is to blame? :confused: I wicked with a CDN-10 in a 70soy/30par blend. Draft-free area, btw.

-- Ryan

Keep testing your candle for 3 hour intervals until the bitter end and record your observations from each testing period. Take photos so we can see how much 'shrooming is happening, etc. My first instinct is that your candle may be underwicked, but only time will tell. :)

You're asking whether a different wick could burn without mushrooming. The best way to answer that is to try different wick types and sizes. Anyone would be on thin ice trying to tell you how likely it is.

Everything about your candle, including the wax, can have an effect on how the wick performs. With some candle blends it can be hard to avoid mushrooming. That certainly includes some parasoy blends.

When I say that everything can have an effect, that includes the shape and diameter of the container. I've tweaked certain candles to burn clean and pretty, then tried slightly different glassware and couldn't them to work nearly as well no matter what I did.

If some aspect of your candle's performance concerns you, it's always very educational to test variations and see how much it can be optimized. Things can very often be improved, but not always. It's up to you to decide how much time and effort to invest.

Thanks much, Stella and Top!! I've done a couple more test burns and oddly, the shrooms seem to be going away! Go figure... :tongue2:

I'm just kinda wondering in people's experience if they've ever come across a wax that just seems to 'shroom, no matter the FO, dye, wick, and container combo. I've been testing this wax with a couple of FOs and dyes in a different jar with 2 or 3 different wicks a piece and it just seems that all I get is shrooming and soot... NOT using zincs either, and I always use 1oz pp for FO. I'm reluctant to give up on the wax as I can get it locally.

I've done a couple more test burns and oddly, the shrooms seem to be going away! Go figure...

That isn't real unusual, which is why I suggested to go ahead and continue your burn tests all the way to the end. Even though you may decide to try a different wick size or type, as you have seen, the environment in the container changes the performance of the wick during the burning of the complete candle. Sometimes, if you have to compromise, an undesirable condition that straightens itself out after a couple of burns might be the one you choose to go with.

I understand your reluctance to give up a local wax source! I think oftentimes, folks get frustrated trying to dial-in their candles' performance and jump ship too quickly. I prefer to work with a product pretty extensively before I give it up as not for me. :)

As for the sooting/'shrooming issues with FO & dye, I'd look first at the wick size/type, then try FOs from other sources to see if THAT'S the problem. I have read a lot of complaints about FOs "changing" since the phathalate-free FOs have come out and the economy has caused some suppliers to pinch pennies by cutting their FOs with stuff that doesn't burn well. I'd save checking out the dye as a source of difficulty until last by testing without it, but using FOs. Good luck!! :)

... and that would be? :confused:

Well there's more than one, but Ecosoya CB-135 would be a f'rinstance. Don't think I've ever seen it burn without mushrooming and our former esteemed participant HenryK did the no-FO testing - still mushroomed.

On the paraffin side, it's pretty hard to avoid 'shrooms with Comfort Blend.

• 14 years later...

Hi, I'm having the same issue here. I'm using (IGI-6006 parasoy blend, Premier wick 775, 4 drops dye in 12 oz of wax, 9% FO blackraspberry.

I burned for 4hours the first time, put out the flame and burn for little over 4 hours just now. The scent is quite fine. But so far the mushroom is up like no other.

I like using dye in my can so I test my candles with them, not saying I won't make without dye , but I love my dye candles.. so far the melting pool is ok as paraffin wax or parasoy wax will melt downward before it starts to spread outward. I'm thinking if I should use a bigger wick size, but then again I don't want the wick to start burn out the wax faster than it should and also not throwing out any scent. Please look at the pictures and let me know your options,

thanks a lot. 

IMG_20240112_112011451.jpg

IMG_20240112_074333253.jpg

Could be several causes:

-did you cure your candles before lighting?

-seems a bit overwicked. Premiers are pretty efficient wicks. Smaller wicks often will allow better melt pool creation since the wick can’t sop up the fuel as fast. The carbon on the wick is indicating incomplete combustion likely from that imbalance alone.