Felted soaps

Meridith

Yes it does. You have to use animal fiber when making these so they will shrink. If you use a plant or synthetic fiber, it won't shrink. I'm now doing more simple designs of solid colors; as much as I like doing it, it took too much time to make patterns.

Thanks. :)

Imagine those patterns would be a killer on time. Am sitting here with a couple of bundles of Corriedale roving that I thought I would sping into yarn. Maybe in my next life:cheesy2: Shrinking along with the soap is a neat aspect, so may have to see if I can get one done for myself. Thanks.

Imagine those patterns would be a killer on time. Am sitting here with a couple of bundles of Corriedale roving that I thought I would sping into yarn. Maybe in my next life:cheesy2: Shrinking along with the soap is a neat aspect, so may have to see if I can get one done for myself. Thanks.

Go for it!! It really is fun to do. You can google soap felting and find a lot of information on it. If you do, please post your pictures because I would love to see.

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice, they all look great. Does the soap shrink much during the felting process? What I mean is? during the felting does it use much of the bar? Have always wanted to do this.

You will lose some of the bar but once you get down how thick your felt should be, you can get it to shrink pretty quickly and not lose as much. In the beginning, I was getting my wool to thick so it was taking a bit of time to get it to shrink down so I was using more of the bar than I liked. I now try to felt larger bars too but still do some smaller ones to sell for a cheaper price. The felt will continue to shrink with the bar with each use. You should try it. It is a lot of fun and you can get very creative.

Another plus to felted soaps are that you can now use the entire bar and not have that awkward little piece left.

• 2 weeks later...
You will lose some of the bar but once you get down how thick your felt should be, you can get it to shrink pretty quickly and not lose as much. In the beginning, I was getting my wool to thick so it was taking a bit of time to get it to shrink down so I was using more of the bar than I liked. I now try to felt larger bars too but still do some smaller ones to sell for a cheaper price. The felt will continue to shrink with the bar with each use. You should try it. It is a lot of fun and you can get very creative.

Another plus to felted soaps are that you can now use the entire bar and not have that awkward little piece left.

Bought a couple of ounces of wool today at JoAnn's Fabric and can't wait to start. They didn't have very many colors so I'll order online to get more. Where are you getting yours? I also bought 1/2 yard of wool felt and a skein of wool yarn , hope they will work for something. And thanks for starting me on yet another hobby...