Honey in soaps

Scented

How/when do you add it? As in do you add it with the lye, in cool lye water, into the oils, warmed and then added?

Asking because it worked once to add it to the oils and blended just fine, but the other two times have been a PITA. The second time straight in the oils it just would not blend and the final produce has flecks of honey throughout. The third time I warmed it in the wave and when added to the oils it pearled and I believe never really broke up completely.

I know some people add it to the lye water and let it burn and still get the golden color ... that may be my next route. I know someone has said they add to cool lye water, but how does that break down the honey for easier blending?

And maybe sticking honey into the wave isn't exactly the best thing to do either.

Just looking for what the simple way is.

I put my honey in with my oils when they are warm. I find that warming it up makes it easier to get it blended into my soap mixture. If you don't get it blended in, you will see it in your final bars of soap.

ETA - I use it at 1 TBS PPO. Be careful. It can cause your soap to accelerate heat.

Honey is water soluble as opposed to oil soluble, so I keep back a little of my water amount to dilute the honey with, and then I add it to my soaping pot just after adding the lye water to the oils. Then I stickblend it well to incorporate.

MarieJeanette :)

I make a soap I call Honey Girl. It's HP. I microwave the honey to get it really runny and then stir it in after the cook and after adding the EOs. I get a nice honeyish swirl with it and it sells like mad. It's a soap I made for my Mom for years.

It couldn't be easier! Make your soap just like you would CP, stick blend to a thick trace. Put pot in oven at 190 degrees for 1 hour. When it comes out of the oven, stir in EOs, powders, honey, etc. Couldn't be easier.

Note that with HP....you don't get pretty swirls and you need to stir in your stuff and get it in the molds quickly as it really sets up as it cools. Bang the molds to get out the air bubbles and you can smooth out the top somewhat.

One of my apprentices came over yesterday and got 11 log molds filled. Each of my logs cut into 24 bars. She did 6 different kinds of soap for me and I was able to get my comfrey calendula salve finished making, jarred and labeled and about 50 million other things done. I love my students!

Honey is water soluble as opposed to oil soluble, so I keep back a little of my water amount to dilute the honey with, and then I add it to my soaping pot just after adding the lye water to the oils. Then I stickblend it well to incorporate.

MarieJeanette :)

ditto