My 1st votives!!

I poured my 1st votives today....the first attempt not so well, so I melted them back down and tried again :) I think they turned out alright as far as looks, but they have what looks like pin pricks on the side of them... I don't know what that is from..any help??

I will try add a pick but I don't know if you will be able to see them.

I am using IGI 4794, used 1 1/2 ozs of FO for 2lbs. I poured at about 175 and repour at 185.

I used some shavings of a dye block that came with the kit from Lonestar and don't like them very well....is liquid dye a lot better to use??

Grrrrrr! I tried to upload my pic but it's to big....and I don't know how to fix it! lol

Thanks!

I figured that it would be! That's why I went ahead and bought some! lol

What kind of thermometer do most of you use?? I have just used the one that came with my kit and I think a digital one would be a lot better... What do you think??

Congrats :yay: The addiction has just begun!

As for the pin pricks, they're probably what are usually called pin holes. You'll get different answers from different people about what causes them as how to get rid of them. Personally I usually only get them from having the wax very hot or over heating the molds and often with the shiny tin molds, though not always. I've never seen it happen at 175 myself.

If the thermometer you got was the glass candy type, you'll definitely have a lot easier time with a digital one. The "mechanical" type, like the mercury ones (I know they are usually red inside but I don't remember what that stuff is called) is VERY slow to respond in my experience and often the wax is much hotter than it shows because the temp can increase much faster than the thermometer changes.

Oh, and for the most part, I do prefer the liquid dye as well. I do use some chips for odd ball colors that I just don't have the patience to formulate from basic colors and don't use enough to buy a whole bottle of liquid.

OH yeah... they have been other posted but I didn't save the links. You can try this site for resizing pics www.featurecart.com/jpeg/index.asp

SD is right about the pin holes. I used to use 4794 and poured at 175° and got them and when I changed to 50/50 wax I stopped getting them. But I also realized I changed something else....with the 4794 I would hit the molds with the heat gun before I poured so I didn't get chatter lines..never got those with the 5050 so stopped using the gun. Evidently it was all a heat issue. I have a thermostat on my melter and I use an instant read meat thermometer.

I also used liquid dye. Easier to make a "formula" and get that exact color again. But....keep a bottle of goo gone or de-solv-it (both can be found at Wal Mart in the cleaning section or paint dept.) handy...will get dye out from your cuticles, carpet etc and it's non toxic! You'll be buying it by the gallon in no time. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Thanks everyone!!

I didn't think the pin holes were that bad so maybe I can play around and get rid of them by different temps...idk

I do have one of those candy thermometers and to be honest it makes me go cross-eyed! lol It just seems to take to long to get to the temp and stop. I'll have to check out a digital one.

NewOrleans Lady- what is the 50/50 wax? How is it different? And is it just for votives?

Thanks everyone!

Mindy

I use the JustScent 50/50 soy/paraffin blend wax. Becky has one blend for votives/pillars/tarts and another for containers. I use them both. The votives come out so creamy looking...easy to clean, wick and they have a great scent throw.

I stopped using dyes except for a large wedding or shower order cause it was just a pain to work with (the bottles leak, spill...not exact right color for a customer's decor, or customers want you to remember what they bought 3 months ago by the color) so all my candles are all "natural" color.

Gosh, I never thought of using goo gone for that. Thanks! Now I won't have to go to my regular job with magenta dye in my fingernails!

One day I had run out of goo gone while making red votives. Afterwards, I had to run to the bank.. I cleaned up best I could but when I handed over my deposit the teller said "Oh my gosh, what happened" and ran to get a tissue..I told her it wasn't blood just candle dye and stuck my finger in my mouth to show her !!!! All the tellers got a good laugh on that one.

I have been using 4794 for votives for the past several years and never get pin prick holes. I heat to 180 before adding dye, then add FO anywhere between 180 and 185. I heard that it was best for the FO to incorporate into the wax at that temp and that you need to stir for at least 2 minutes. I zap the molds and my pyrex measuring cup with the heat gun before I pour. After the molds are completely cooled...usually 3-4 hours...I heat the rest of the wax to 190 and repour. My votives come out perfect every time.

Originally Posted by deb426 viewpost.gif

Gosh, I never thought of using goo gone for that. Thanks! Now I won't have to go to my regular job with magenta dye in my fingernails!

I had to LOL at this because as soon as I got my sample pack from Peaks and the liquid dye I ordered I ended up with purple and red hands! My hubby has some had cleaner made my John Deere that works ok but it is still in my finger nails! I will have to invest in some goo gone!