Do you use a soap cutter?

beau's mama

Hi Y'all! It's me again with more questions.

I've been looking at/for soap cutters and just wondering if any of you have this one http://www.soapequipment.com/images/LoafCutterwithSoap.jpg or anything like it. I saw one somewhere very similiar to this one that was made out of wood but I can't remember where I saw it!

My mitre box thingy works fine for small batches, but cutting a 13.5 inch loaf bar by bar is so time consuming.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it: do any of you use those soap polishing cloths sold at soapies-supplies? Is that really a necessary thing? And how, exactly, do you polish a bar of soap??

Every day I have more and more respect for those of you who do this for a living...especially those who do EVERYTHING from formulating a recipe to keeping the books! My hat is off to you!

TIA

Ditto on the tank cutter. I just cut thru 13 logs in five minutes with one. They work awesome! The only down side is my logs are longer than the cutter so I have to put it down twice on it but no biggie and certainly less time consuming than cutting by hand :)

Yea, I have a tank copycat. It's not holding up very well, but it works.

I also have a tank. Now THAT is quality!

Yeah, I found a tank copycat also. Made all of wood, right? After waiting forever for a freakin' beveler/planer, I decided I didn't have the rest of my life to wait for a cutter!

I'm working my money out for either the tank or the premium quick cutter.

Yeah...I think I can live without satelllite, phone, internet and food for a month! :laugh2:

Yes, that's the one.

Freakin' forever is an understatement. But tell me, how was the beveler? I had one that ended up in the trash pretty quickly, but I see dramatic design changes have been made, so maybe they are better now?

My issue with the Premium quick cutter is that it has "closed" ends so you cannot use it for a log longer than the cutter, and since I suck at cutting which is why I needed one of these, the idea of chopping the log in half wasn't sitting well with me.

Just put a hold on your cable for a month, maybe 2, and it'll be paid for!!!

Yes, that's the one.

Freakin' forever is an understatement. But tell me, how was the beveler? I had one that ended up in the trash pretty quickly, but I see dramatic design changes have been made, so maybe they are better now?

My issue with the Premium quick cutter is that it has "closed" ends so you cannot use it for a log longer than the cutter, and since I suck at cutting which is why I needed one of these, the idea of chopping the log in half wasn't sitting well with me.

You know, the beveler is fine to me. It's the first one I've ever owned. It's pretty well built, I guess, as far as bevelers go. DH said the craftmanship is pretty top notch (he's a wood ho, but can't build a darn thing!). It wipes clean very easily.

I see what you mean about the Premium cutter. I didn't think about that, figuring that I wouldn't make logs longer than 13.5 inches. But hell, I never thought I'd be making this much soap either!

I think I'd better start thinking for future use!

Oh God yes I use a cutter and love the thing! I never saw such straight bars before until I used one. I believe the one I was gifted by some great people on here came from For Craft's Sake. I honestly couldn't soap without it.

Go to

http://www.forcraftssake.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_8&products_id=20&zenid=eb86813d9b64a5474e5bc716fa1738f3

That bad boy is the tank. It's worth it's weight in gold, cuts super fast and super even. The only down side is you can see a semi circle line grid in some bars after they are cut...so you know they are not hand cut but goodness who cares. LOL You can buff that out if it really bothers you...which it does not me! :)

The Tank is my best friend! LOL We do slabs that we cut down into 4 logs (with the for crafts sake log splitter) and then run the logs through the Tank to get the bars. It is super simple and lightening fast!! I split and cut 136 bars in about 15 min or less.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, that's the one.

Well, CB, doesn't seem I'll have to do that. A big giant Angel in my life just ordered the Tank for me.:yay: I talked to Kris and it's shipping this week!

I can't believe it ya'll...I'M GETTING A TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay:

Sorry that I can't be more excited about it LOL

Well' date=' CB, doesn't seem I'll have to do that. A big giant Angel in my life just ordered the Tank for me.:yay: I talked to Kris and it's shipping this week!

I can't believe it ya'll...I'M GETTING A TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay:

Sorry that I can't be more excited about it LOL[/quote']that's simply marvelous. you will now learn that you CAN love an object... :)