Best dyes for soy?

Im searching, and must not be using the right keywords or something, I know ive seen these threads before. But Im going to try dyeing my candles. Where is the best place to go, to get dyes? Should I use liquid, chips? Oh and also, do you think in the ky puresoy and the natural votive pillar blend....will they frost so much that they turn white? I dont mind frosting, just dont want them to completely lose color. I always used chips with paraffin but not sure what will work the best with soy. Please give me some info! Thanks!

Well here's one idea you don't hear about much...

Candle Cocoon (Lyschel) carries something unique called color crystals. They're made from a veggie base with liquid dyes that are then dried out to remove the solvent (which can cause frosting). They come in lots of colors and aren't mushy like "soy chips" plus they don't have the sediment you can get from some of the regular chips.

I've been messing with these and they work pretty well. Only thing is, if you want consistent color you need a gram scale to weigh them because they aren't a pre-measured size like the dye diamonds. They're random-sized fragments.

I haven't used the crystals that Top is talking about, but have used the diamonds that Candle Cocoon sells and they work well in my soy. I normally use the liquid dyes as I can get them at Lonestar locally, but ordered some of the diamonds to try, with my last order. Haven't had a chance to try them all out yet, but the ones I have tried, I got nice colors from, with no sediment.

Im searching, and must not be using the right keywords or something, I know ive seen these threads before. But Im going to try dyeing my candles. Where is the best place to go, to get dyes? Should I use liquid, chips? Oh and also, do you think in the ky puresoy and the natural votive pillar blend....will they frost so much that they turn white? I dont mind frosting, just dont want them to completely lose color. I always used chips with paraffin but not sure what will work the best with soy. Please give me some info! Thanks!

I highly recommend the Pryme Colors from Daphne at www.Barnloftcandles.com She also has a great additive for frosting called frostop. We had a thread going last week about it. She is great to work with and I love these dyes, I have all three lines. Awesome results without the terrible odor associated with liquid dyes.

Thanks to all of you! I think I might try those color crystals. And some of the chips to see what I like the best. They are a great price too. Only thing I dont like is they dont have examples of the colors. But I guess its kind of self explanatory. Oh well, will check these out as soon as I get a chance. Thanks! Oh BTW how many chips are in a pack? It doesnt say.

Laura

I have all different types now and find myself just using them all anymore :)

I too like the crystals from CC. They actually look like the "flake" dye you see at other places but do dissolve better. I use the liquids for dark reds and greens and browns. Also use a lot of the diamonds - both cc's and cs's. Some of them have a sediment so just let the pot sit for a minute and leave the residue in the bottom of the pot (don't use every bit of wax - a bit wasteful, but it works). For instance, the plain red chips - no residue, but the cranberry - residue. I haven't tried all of them yet. Liquids are nice but I always seem to have "accidents" with them - and they WILL affect your wicking if you use a lot whereas the solid dyes don't.

If you are interested in the dye diamonds from CC, I have a list where I matched up the colors Lyschel uses with the colors that CC has - CS uses the actual name whereas CC has fancier labels :) Since I order from both places I use the list to tack on the colors I'm low on so I don't have to spend extra postage (i.e I'm ordering IGI wax from CS or FOs from Lyschel). There are a couple colors Lyschel has that CS doesn't have which are really nice colors: coffee bean and Jack O'Lantern (both of which I use a lot of). CS has a nice page where they have a votive of each color of their dye chips - its either wax or the monitor, but I get darker colors than shown but it does give an idea: http://www.candlescience.com/site/shop/color/reddigglo-dye-chips.php

I tried to post my full list but no matter which way I do it (text, table, sheet, rtf) it won't align up in this post. So if anyone wants it they can PM and I'll send it in Word or Excel.