Beeswax question...

I was given some beeswax by a friend who keeps bees. So, as you can guess the beeswax is raw and very dirty. Just wondering if anyone could explain to me what to do with this. I have no idea how to filter it or whatever needs to be done. It is a whole bunch and I don't want to let it waste. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. :smiley2:

They best way to filter beeswax that I use is to take a pair of panty hose, put one leg instead of the other (I cut them off from the panty part). Put the beeswax inside the legs, put it inside a big pot of boiling water and let it all melt. Take the pantyhose out of the water and shut the water off. I let it completly cool and take the hardened wax out of the water and dry thoroughly on some towels. Mine is usually cleaned well after one round through the water, but if you still see some bee parts in the wax, do it again till it's clean. It's a pain in the butt to clean, but usually a lot cheaper than buying it. I'd say have fun, but I know it's not!! :cool2:

If there are large particles in the wax I would melt the wax in a pan of water, then skim the large particles off the top. Then let the wax cool and harden. Remelt the wax in a double boiler with no water added (you can use a coffee can in a large pan of water), pour the melted wax through several layers of cheese cloth. This should clean the wax sufficiently.

When you are ready to make your candles, add a small amount of water to the pan you are going to melt the wax in and then dip the wax out of the pan to pour your candles. That way any remaining dirt or particles will settle to the bottom of the pan and you will have clean wax off the top.

If there are large particles in the wax I would melt the wax in a pan of water, then skim the large particles off the top. Then let the wax cool and harden. Remelt the wax in a double boiler with no water added (you can use a coffee can in a large pan of water), pour the melted wax through several layers of cheese cloth. This should clean the wax sufficiently.

When you are ready to make your candles, add a small amount of water to the pan you are going to melt the wax in and then dip the wax out of the pan to pour your candles. That way any remaining dirt or particles will settle to the bottom of the pan and you will have clean wax off the top.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Assuming that what you have is cappings(the wax used to cover the comb area where the honey is stored), you will definately be able to get it clean. But if you received brood wax(the wax area where the larvea are brought to term)--its naturally dark in color and will not clean to a nice light color.

They best way to filter beeswax that I use is to take a pair of panty hose, put one leg instead of the other (I cut them off from the panty part). Put the beeswax inside the legs, put it inside a big pot of boiling water and let it all melt. Take the pantyhose out of the water and shut the water off. I let it completly cool and take the hardened wax out of the water and dry thoroughly on some towels. Mine is usually cleaned well after one round through the water, but if you still see some bee parts in the wax, do it again till it's clean. It's a pain in the butt to clean, but usually a lot cheaper than buying it. I'd say have fun, but I know it's not!! :cool2:

I know a beekeeper who mentioned cleaning her beeswax thru panytyhose too. I never asked her how she actually did it thou.

You do it basically the same way as through cheesecloth. It is a little harder to filter through pantyhose but I have done it and it works just fine. Cheesecloth is cheaper and, I think, a little easier to work with. I've never tried using the boiling water method, I always just melt the wax and pour it through my filtering material.

Jennifer does bring up a good point that not all beeswax is going to come out nice and light yellow. I've seen a lot of wax that was so dark it looked like caramel. Hopefully you have good wax to start with.

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks

I have recently been offerred some free beeswax from a farmer but didn't know what to do with it. This discussion has really helped alot however, once you have cleaned the wax how do you get it poured into a sheet of wax that you can make candles with? I would assume that you would have to have some kind of lining so that the wax doesn't stick to the form you are using to make sheets of wax? And I saw someone mentioned they mixed paraffin and beeswax together... isn't beeswax hard enough by itself not to need the paraffin?

Thanks for any advice. I currently make soy container candles as well as CP soaps.

Anna

Most people that want to make rolled beeswax candles buy the sheet. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of anyone making their own sheets. As far as mixing and being hard enough on its own-yes beeswax is hard enough on its own--in fact its so hard that it is not recommended for container candles because such a large wick would be needed.

Thanks Jennifer

I didn't figure it would be a good candidate for container candles... I've seen some sold in jars but would just about bet it's more soy wax than beeswax in a blend of some sort.

I was thinking about making taper candles but do have the molds for making pilars as well.

I am not really too interested in buying commercially made beeswax right now, just straight from the farm.

Anna

You can make your own sheets for rolled beeswax candles. I haven't done it but saw directions online. You may have to search for awhile because I can't remember the site. Mann Lake has molds for making taper and colonial tapers and the candles slide out real easy. I think Candlewic carries some molds as well.