Weird problem with 4630..

I have been using 4630 for a while and I think it is great. I have never really had many problems with it, but the last few candles I have made have been cracking at the top. Not small cracks, but deep, earthquake looking cracks:confused: . I've always cooled on top of the counter with no problems, but after seeing this I tried cooling in the oven. I just went and checked those candles and they have cracks too. Has this happened to anyone else?

theres was a thread about this a while back. IGI had reformulated thier 4630 and changed the formula on it. they have recently gone back to the old formula. IGI recommended pouring the wax about 10 degrees hotter. some suppliers have recieved the good batch again.

We received a case of 4630 in December that I am guessing was the new formula, but we didn't have a problem with cracking. Our issue was that when it cooled it had a "wavy" top - not smooth like it usually was. The wax was much harder to cut - not as hard as votive wax, but did quite a number on our cutting tool! We tested a few different scents and they seemed to burn the same, so that was not an issue.

We have since received several new cases from a different supplier and it is like what we are used to and pours and sets like it always did.

I would definitely call the supplier and I hope they have some answers. When I called a few suppliers trying to find cases of the "old formula", they had no idea what I was talking about but assured me that their 4630 was the softer wax. We ended up purchasing from Candlescience. Our normal supplier, who we ended up getting the one case of the newer formula, was Candles and Supplies.

How is it physically possible for a fairly soft and oily blend like 4630 to crack? That stuff must have changed a lot since the last time I used it.

I have no idea. It feels the same to me, looks the same, and even burns the same. I guess that is why these craters are so confusing to me. :confused:

theres was a thread about this a while back. IGI had reformulated thier 4630 and changed the formula on it. they have recently gone back to the old formula. IGI recommended pouring the wax about 10 degrees hotter. some suppliers have recieved the good batch again.

What temp did they say to pour at? I always pour at 170.

Not to get off the subject at hand with 4630. Does anyone else get a slimy film on the sides of their jars with 4630? Just curious.

Thanks,

Do you mean like wax hang up or is this something that the wax has left behind?