Mixing soy and 4630

I have poured tons of testers with a 25/75 of 444 and 4630. I just cant seem to get the pour temp right. I always get sinkholes. Do you always have to do a 2nd pour with this blend? The only thing I haven't tried is pouring really really hot, like 175 or really really cool, like 110. Is there a magic temp for this blend? TIA :)

I have poured at 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 150, 155, 165 and probably everywhere in between! If I pour 140 (about) and above I get sinkholes, and any lower and I get weird white spots (I call them milk spots cause it looks like milk!) Not like frosting, it's different. Maybe I will try more 4630. I really didn't want to go with more paraffin, but I may have to to solve this problem. 30% is just harder to figure too. (for me, anyway), lol.

Oh, and I am working on the 8oz. sq. mason with this combo.

TIA:)

I have poured tons of testers with a 25/75 of 444 and 4630.

Initially I was thinking your blend was 25% 444 and 75% 4630 but now I am thinking it is the other way around at 75% 444 and 25% 4630. With more soy I would try pouring cooler than 125*. I could be mistaken since I haven't used 444 much but I recall thinking pouring around 100* - 110* or at the slushy stage is typical.

I know what you mean about trying to get a 30/70 ratio measured out. I keep my calculator and note pad handy when trying to achieve a blend other than 50/50. Actually I find working in thirds is easier for me. LMK if you need help with the calculation.

Oh pooh. I did type that wrong. I am trying 75% 444, 25% 4630. I was hoping to pour hotter with the paraffin added. I usually do pour cool with the 444 alone. Maybe I should keep the same pour temp. I was just getting those funny milk spots when I poured cooler than 130 or something. I'd have to check...but anyway, I think I will try pouring much cooler once to see if that helps with the sinkholes. I hate sinkholes more than anything cause they can cause a really bad candle without you really knowing they are there sometimes.

To tell you the truth, it probably just isn't a very good blend. Making a 70/30 type of wax with good all-around properties (like the commercial products) generally requires starting from the raw materials rather than mixing pre-blended products together.

In particular, mixing a small amount of those soft container blends into soy doesn't tend to produce a good result. The other way around--adding a modest amount of soy to a soft container blend--usually works better. Sometimes you can get up to the 50/50 range with decent results.

So if it seems like there's no pouring temperature that works well, there probably isn't one.

I agree with what TOP said about trying to achieve a blend with pre-blended waxes at anything less than 50/50. I've tried just about every soy wax with the 4630 at several different ratios and keep coming back to a 50/50 blend.

My blend of choice is C-3/4630 at 50/50. I pour at 150 and get no wet spots, no sink holes, and no frosting. I got similar results with a 60/40 blend but did get a tiny bit of frosting on really dark colors.

I still have about 20 fragrances to test but so far this blend has proven itself with every FO I've tested thus far.

Well, looks like I have to pour a few more testers today.:yay: I will try a 60/40 and a 50/50 and see how those work. Even though I have a huge pure soy order to get done, I will sneak in a few testers. That is a little more fun anyway, lol. Am I nuts? The thrill of the hunt I guess. I hate pouring testers when it is a wax that I have used for years and can't get it to work right, but this is PLAYING. It is fun to see how they turn out. I would like to add a blend to my line though, if I can get it to work! Thanks everyone for helping!

I do a 50/50 with pure soy and 4630 and was having sink holes so I tweaked it a little. I heated it only to 170 and poured at 155 and had no sink holes. Will try again today. No wet spots either.

FlightofFancy, what did u heat the wax to? So we had very similiar results, which is a good sign. :D I think anyway, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
I have poured tons of testers with a 25/75 of 444 and 4630. I just cant seem to get the pour temp right. I always get sinkholes. Do you always have to do a 2nd pour with this blend? The only thing I haven't tried is pouring really really hot, like 175 or really really cool, like 110. Is there a magic temp for this blend? TIA :)

I use 15 oz soy and 1 oz 4630, and I never have a problem no matter what temp I pour. I am using El Soy. And it always sets up and burns like a dream!