people afraid to use soap when they fine out it's made with lye

Jola

I was at a party the other night and something came out about my latest hobby, soap making. Someone asked how exactly do you make soap. I go on to tell them that you mix oils and lye together. Immediately a couple of my friends are telling me, you aren't going to give that to us as gifts or use it yourself are you? Won't it like melt off your skin?! :angry2::rolleyes2

I tried to tell them a chemical reaction occurs and the lye is no longer lye. I also compared it to eating bread. You eat bread but most of us would never eat an egg and flour and salt and yeast mixed together raw.

They weren't getting it.

I'm scared now that if I do give gifts people won't use them. Anyone else ever have this situation? Suggestions on what I should say without boring them to death with the scientific part of it?

Sure, but you could be at another party with these people, bring some samples and say, "For Pete's sake, come here." Show them how to wash with it and tell them ... "see no melted skin."

Hand them a sample. Dare them to use it lol.

What people don't seem to get is that you can't have soap without it. Heck maybe ask them if they've ever heard of sodium hydroxide instead lol.

Suggestions on what I should say without boring them to death with the scientific part of it?

Ask them to look at the labels of commercial soap bars. Sodium tallowate is animal fat + lye. Sodium Cocoate is coconut oil + lye.

Lye is used in the manufacture of pretzels too, so just ask if a pretzel ever melted their skin off.

It can take some time for some folks to get it. Think of it as planting seeds that can take root and sprout later. No need to bring them all up to speed all at once. :)

Good Luck!

It took me several tries to get my grandmother to use my soap. She heard "homemade lye soap" and she wasn't too eager. I wouldn't have been either.....she was used to the lye heavy stuff that was made from wood ash lye.

Now she loves it. :)

"people afraid to use soap when they fine out it's made with lye"

:laugh2: :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

People are amazing aren't they? What do they think they have been using on themselves all these years? (Things that make ya go "hm")

And Care Bear, I hear ya about your sister. I just recently went down and visited mine and I guess she failed to remove the last basket of soap I sent her.... ummm, about 2 yrs ago Christmas) from under her tv stand where she must have put it after opening it. :shocked2: I said nothing, but filed it away for future reference.

Oh, and my mom hasn't tried mine either... says she has to use Dove too. (what's with THAT?) lol

I think my SIL thinks I'm Granny Clampett. Brother probably does, too, but is too chicken to say it to my face. :rolleyes2

My husband says that I'm granny too.He even waits for episodes with her making some soap and tells me to watch to see her.

and I hear ya about people NOT trying your soap.But once they do they are HOOKED.Maybe take some 'store' labels and disguise it as a store bought soap..haa!!

I typed up explanations and what people wanted to know about lye and put it on a business card. Whenever anybody asks me, I just hand them a card.

PS, palmolive was once in trouble for their sanitary practices. My Mom had the newspaper clipping for all those dove users. I believe the neighboring businesses and homeowners complained enough about the smell. I will have to ask her about it. Would have been over 20 years ago though.

The same battle played out with my BF. He swore that he wouldn't use it and that it would melt his skin off.

Well, I plied him by making a craft beer soap (he's a beer snob) and made sure that it was a nice recipe. He still didn't want to use that so while he was turned in the shower I soaped up his bath poof (yes. a bath poof. :laugh2:) and handed it to him. After he was all super sudsed up I told him I used the beer soap. Now, he's not exactly hooked... but at least he's open to it. I plan on including him in the next soap I make. His favorite... Magarita! I am tempting him further by making them salt bars. He can't resist a good margarita!

:bliss:

If handcrafted soap truly melted skin off we could make millions on a weight loss scam. But now that I think about it how do we know that wasn't soapy water Dorothy threw on the Wicked Witch of The West?

Show them your non melted skin, show them the certificate from your doctor affirming that you never had skin grafts because of soap oolidge of your skin. Speak slowly and use pop up texts as often as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

My family was scared to use it too. Then my mom saw how hurt I was and asked for some samples. Well she died last Aug. and going through her things I found a plastic folgers can and took off the lid to find all the soap and bath products I gave her ... never used. I guess she was just trying to spare my feelings

I don't ever mention it. Don't ask and I won't tell. Don't mention lard either. Just call it tallowate. The ingredients are on the label and folks look and smell and then buy. Repeat customers come back after they realize how much better hand made soap is than Dove.