Can you imbed M&P into CP soap ?

Kitn

I have been searching for the answer to this question with no luck. What got me started in soaping was going to an auction where I got my car and trunk full of mostly melt and pour soap stuff for $50.00. That got me started on researching soap making and I am really loving making and using the cold process soap and would like to use some of the melt and pour in it as imbeds ,if possible.

Any help much appreciated , if it is not recommended that is okay too, the grands will have a blast making soap when they are a little bit older..:cheesy2:

TIA Kellie

I've done it quite a bit. I have two issue with it that aren't really bad but bother me still. First you have to watch out for the colors bleeding from the MP to the CP. This didn't happen with micas or oxides, just liquid colors, mostly yellow and green.

And the other thing is that as the soap gets used the MP can separate and break apart from the CP.

Thank you Jeana , I haven't made it yet , I did some shreds that I wanted to imbed, so maybe they will be okay.I am going to try a small batch . I will post pics if all goes well.:smiley2:

I've done it quite a bit. I have two issue with it that aren't really bad but bother me still. First you have to watch out for the colors bleeding from the MP to the CP. This didn't happen with micas or oxides, just liquid colors, mostly yellow and green.

And the other thing is that as the soap gets used the MP can separate and break apart from the CP.

Well there goes a polka dot thought I had lol. Would hate for those to pop out and leave swiss cheese soap behind. Have you tried any of TKB's liquid colors that aren't supposed to bleed but can be used in MP? Or do you suppose the heat from the gel is going to cause bleeding? Just asking out of curiosity.

I have been embedding MP in CP with great results. I always use liquid colorants for the MP and never have had them bleed. I have used orange, green, purple, pink and yellow with no bleeding. I do gel my soaps, but really watch how much they heat up. I usually cover them with saran wrap and then the lid for the mold and that is it; no blanket or other covering.

I love doing MP embeds for some added variety.

Ann M

Thanks so much everyone, you gave me the info I was looking for.

I made the soap yesterday, it has a swirl layer , a shred layer , and a curl layer. I can't t wait to take it out of the mold, if it turned out I will post pics.I am pretty new to soaping , so I never know for sure what I have created..lol

Kellie

Well there goes a polka dot thought I had lol. Would hate for those to pop out and leave swiss cheese soap behind. Have you tried any of TKB's liquid colors that aren't supposed to bleed but can be used in MP? Or do you suppose the heat from the gel is going to cause bleeding? Just asking out of curiosity.

No try it, they are really cute. The dots don't break out of the soap until the bar is almost used up. I'd say about 1/8" thick or less. Not that big of an issue really. I haven't had anyone who has bought the soaps complain. We have just noticed it when we are using it around here.

As for the bleeding colors go, it took about 3 or 4 months for it to start bleeding so I know it wasn't the gel stage that caused it. I know now I have to be more aware of choosing colors that don't bleed for MP imbeds. It is only a slight halo of the color that expands out into the CP just around the MP. It doesn't migrate all over the soap.

It is weird though, I use those same colors for swirling CP and layering CP and have never had a problem with bleeding in those applications, only the transparent MP dots.

Kitn - I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures :)